Leadership changes

Stan`

It was a great time to work with you! You've done uncountable amount of things to improve 0 A.D. in many areas. It was taking a lot of time and energy, it wasn't simple for you but you've made much further than many others in that situation. Thank you for all you've done! I wish you a nice journey and to only do things you really enjoy :) 0 A.D. development is keep going and I'll be always glad to hear your feedback if you came to say hello :)

• Like 6

Thank you for all your work over these years Stan! I so appreciate your immense leadership on the project, and always coming in to help out even volunteers with very little experience like myself.

You always made everyone feel very welcome and I can't thank you enough for that!

Best regards for your future endeavors.

• Like 5

It’s sad to see you go, but not unexpected. No one can bear so many things by themselves for so long. I hope your replacement will be a team instead of an individual, to prevent people getting burnt out.

Anyway, it’s good to see you have other projects now, I hope we will soon find some time to discuss these with a cold beer ;)

• Like 5

Your dedication and leadership have been instrumental in shaping this project over the past 12 years. Your decision to step down is both respected and understood, and your contributions will always be remembered and appreciated! Wishing you the very best in your future endeavors Stan'!

We may have never discussed it before, but now is the perfect time to make it happen! Let's break the tradition and have that 1v1 match.  :)

• Like 6

Stan, thanks for the monumental effort that you put into helping WFG. If I had to sum up your attitude about WFG, it would be "I care." Period. You did the tasks others weren't willing to do.

You never said "that's below my pay grade," when I brought an issue to you that I couldn't solve myself. You intervened when other staff were being petty. You were nearly always "on duty" and available.

I agree that no one person can replace you. In fact, it's not fair for one person to do as much as you took responsibility for. Other staff were ignoring certain responsibilities and allowing you to take care of too much. That only works for so long, and now they see the consequences. Anyone in Stan's position would get burnt out. The work that Stan did should be done by a team of people, unless Stan would be paid for it of course.

17 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

There could be 3 (or more) positions: Engine development lead, Multiplayer and lobby lead, Volunteer organization lead, and/or maybe outreach and public relations lead.

I mostly agree with this idea. I would instead structure it like this: there is a team leader who has authority to delegate. He has three subordinates who do tasks assigned by the team leader. The team leader is a supervisor who verifies that all necessary tasks have been assigned and are making progress. He also does work on these tasks, but he's not the only one doing that work.

Maybe that's what was originally intended, but the subordinates just didn't do the tasks because they didn't feel like it or something along these lines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the impression that I got. Anyway, maybe a new structure and agreement can be reached.

Meanwhile, we have even more of a need for volunteers. It's not only programmers that we need. There are documentation, bug reporting, testing, artwork, scenario and map making tasks available for volunteers here. Contact your nearest dev or WFG staff to discuss how you can help.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Like 6

Stan,

I thought hope dies last. Well, with you going seems like 0ad may not live for long. Sad too see but also signs has been given. I have talked in the past about lack of moderation and the main issue was lack of trust in some of us. The cheaters, should be excluded by giving the hosts to allow and disallow hosts to allow external modifications or sort of a plan to fight it back.

Thank you for your time and work which you have done for 0ad.

Regards,

Emp

• Like 4

@Stan` I pray you win a big lottery or something that makes you so happy and strong and come back to work for 0ad,

You might think I am being childish but I was thinking a lot how to get money for 0AD development somehow, but my life is kicking me here and there my Computer that can run 0ad with out annoying other players is dead, I can't even play now.

I can with my laptop but will be dead slow and others will ban me

Edited by leopard
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Stan,

thank you for the outstanding job you did. Besides the remarkable commitment and contribution to the project development, I have admired your patience, tolerance, responsiveness and involvement demonstrated to every member of this community, from the newest forum user, to the ones claiming they know better. Even more so, considering the responsibility and high pressure that the role demands.

2023 has been a tough year for 0AD and the project is more fragile today than it was one year ago. My wish for the future is that the new leadership will successfully tackle the "few can ruin the experience of many" problem, that so deeply harmed the game and the community.

Fair winds Stan. Whatever you'll do from now on, it'll be a success.

• Like 8