balduin

Why not moving to Git?

Sorry for doubleposting but I felt like my last comment was a bit harsh, @WhiteTreePaladin :sorry:

Yes, switching to another revision system like GIT on our server is an option, but GitHub is not IMO.

And, yes, I also don't think GetHub is exceptionally bad right now. But just a slight change in direction in the management can make a service like this basically useless for us.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

@FeXoR

I don't have anything against Microsoft, and they haven't been bad lately. I use the Github repo because we don't have our own hosted git repo. I definitely agree that it's preferable to host it ourselves instead of relying on Github, and I'd gladly switch to a WFG hosted git repo. :)

3 minutes ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

@FeXoR

I don't have anything against Microsoft, and they haven't been bad lately. I use the Github repo because we don't have our own hosted git repo. I definitely agree that it's preferable to host it ourselves instead of relying on Github, and I'd gladly switch to a WFG hosted git repo. :)

What about gitlab?

12 hours ago, sarcoma said:

You are the server with https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce

I've used it when contributing to a few projects, and it seems pretty good. Our Evil Twin uses it.  I wonder if  it would duplicate most of what we have on Phabricator though? It seems overkill to have both, unless we only use gitlab as a git server (not sure what the advantage of that is).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, fabio said:

Related: https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-starts-blocking-developers-in-countries-facing-us-trade-sanctions/

However it's not GitHub itself to blame here, but US government.

IIRC we ourselves have a team member from Iran.

I don't think we do. (Lost communication pretty much immediately after attempting to join - due to issues in the country at the time.)

On 7/24/2019 at 2:59 AM, WhiteTreePaladin said:

I'm not familiar with gitlab, but I think it's probably still preferred for WFG to host its own repo.

GitLab is the software which allows you to host a git repository. GitLab has features like a web interface with issue tracking and merge request management. GitLab is used by the Debian project and FramaGit.

GitLab.com is a service by the company GitLab Inc. GitLab.com is similar to GitHub as you can create repositories for free. However, you can do the same on FramaGit which is part of the french non profit organization FramaSoft.

In short:

• Git -> distributed version control tool
  • GitLab -> Web based self hosting software frontent for Git
  • GitLab.com -> GitLab hosted by GitLab Inc. (company)
  • FramaGit -> GitLab hosted by FramaSoft (ngo)

Further info git does not handle art assets gracefully or other binary blobs as git calls them too many of them and both GitHub and GitLab start charging you money to use there service.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Wait, so at some point in time, Github gives you an "ultimatum" if you have too many .pngs? "Pay us or your repo is gone", that sort of thing?

If that's the case, then I'll delete my repo by myself. No need to wait for them to do it. I didnt't really have a lot stuff anyway.

24 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Wait, so at some point in time, Github gives you an "ultimatum" if you have too many .pngs? "Pay us or your repo is gone", that sort of thing?

If that's the case, then I'll delete my repo by myself. No need to wait for them to do it. I didnt't really have a lot stuff anyway.

Git != github 

Git = versionning technology

Github = website hosting git repository.

Don't worry about it 0 A.D. has a mirror. If we had too many pngs we'd know :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Don't worry about it 0 A.D. has a mirror. If we had too many pngs we'd know :)

Lol, true : D