Sign in to follow this  
balduin

Why not moving to Git?

Sorry for doubleposting but I felt like my last comment was a bit harsh, @WhiteTreePaladin :sorry:

Yes, switching to another revision system like GIT on our server is an option, but GitHub is not IMO.

And, yes, I also don't think GetHub is exceptionally bad right now. But just a slight change in direction in the management can make a service like this basically useless for us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@FeXoR

I don't have anything against Microsoft, and they haven't been bad lately. I use the Github repo because we don't have our own hosted git repo. I definitely agree that it's preferable to host it ourselves instead of relying on Github, and I'd gladly switch to a WFG hosted git repo. :)

3 minutes ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

@FeXoR

I don't have anything against Microsoft, and they haven't been bad lately. I use the Github repo because we don't have our own hosted git repo. I definitely agree that it's preferable to host it ourselves instead of relying on Github, and I'd gladly switch to a WFG hosted git repo. :)

What about gitlab?

12 hours ago, sarcoma said:

You are the server with https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce

I've used it when contributing to a few projects, and it seems pretty good. Our Evil Twin uses it.  I wonder if  it would duplicate most of what we have on Phabricator though? It seems overkill to have both, unless we only use gitlab as a git server (not sure what the advantage of that is).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, fabio said:

Related: https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-starts-blocking-developers-in-countries-facing-us-trade-sanctions/

However it's not GitHub itself to blame here, but US government.

IIRC we ourselves have a team member from Iran.

I don't think we do. (Lost communication pretty much immediately after attempting to join - due to issues in the country at the time.)