Frozen development

17 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

Not necessarily. Even if it's decided to go with Vulcan, it's still the same. Isn't it?

Of course there is an official library for Vulkan. (MoltenVK)

A little less I believe.

I don't think it's official. They never supported OpenGL and they want to push metal so I don't think they would support molten vk.

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

That would work, but won't it result into spaghetti code ?

We'd get no spaghetti code, If we correctly split our code.

47 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

Not necessarily. Even if it's decided to go with Vulcan, it's still the same. Isn't it?

Of course there is an official library for Vulkan. (MoltenVK)

Pure Vulkan is much more volumetric. So we need some time to make this way easier.

Also there's MoltenGL, but I don't, is there a free version for open-source projects.

Official as in made by Khronos. Yep, they seem to be fully committed to push Metal. Just what devs need, a different library for each OS. Since when does they think that cross-platform is a bad thing..

No one testing the SVN version often

svn is tested more or less permanently by a number of players (those who are able to download svn and annoyed by some dealbreaker bugs), but not on macOS

On 11/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, stanislas69 said:

Explain how to compile the game / make it more straightforward. (It's really about opening the terminal, and typing a few commands there getting in touch with us and helping us debug stuff out) 

That assumes that there aren't compiling or linking issues, version conflicts.

There are what feels like 1% Mac OS people on the lobby. Most of them are never seen again after few lobby joins (even if they could play with the icon fix mod). Of the handful remaining that occasionally join the lobby and can be communicated with, one of them had a version conflict issue, the others are not available for such discourses. It really needs a developer to record, investigate and fix reported issues. I guess that will again be done by people who don't have a mac again with a VM, rather than the developers with macOS fixing their system (please prove me wrong).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elexis said:

svn is tested more or less permanently by a number of players (those who are able to download svn and annoyed by some dealbreaker bugs), but not on macOS

Sorry meant only on macOs of course SVN is tested ;) I realised it was misleading but forgot to edit my post.

6 hours ago, elexis said:

That assumes that there aren't compiling or linking issues, version conflicts.

Can't fix bug you haven't experienced can you.  :)

But yeah hence the reason I want to get a Mac to reproduce and test fixes and show people how to test fixes.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, stanislas69 said:

Im planning to buy the most recent mac 500€ can get so that might be a 2012 version.

Beware though, as I used to have a 2011 macbook pro that wasn't able to run alpha 21 anymore. Another guy with a mac (2011 or 2012, can't remember), had the same problem, asked on the forum, and was told his machine was just too old... (can't remember the specifics) 

Edited by Sundiata

5 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Beware though, as I used to have a 2011 macbook pro that wasn't able to run alpha 21 anymore. Another guy with a mac (2011 or 2012, can't remember), had the same problem, asked on the forum, and was told his machine was just too old... (can't remember the specifics) 

That might be an issue indeed :/

6 hours ago, Sundiata said:

It is an issue if he still have a old version of the OS. It is a common problem, old mac didn't have regular updates for the OS and if he didn't do it himself the update, it become tougher after time because the Apple Store didn't let you download a new version of the OS. 

2 hours ago, Genava55 said:

It is an issue if he still have a old version of the OS. It is a common problem, old mac didn't have regular updates for the OS and if he didn't do it himself the update, it become tougher after time because the Apple Store didn't let you download a new version of the OS. 

3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

That might be an issue indeed :/

Maybe we can ask https://gitlab.gnome.org/samm-git   or @wraitii I believe also has a mac.

17 hours ago, wraitii said:

Well technically it's because I'm using a custom setup so I can't bundle the game - why am I using a custom setup? Because my SSD is too small.

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

DM me and I'll buy you a bigger SSD.

Seriously though, if that's what it takes, I'll be more than glad to help fund a bigger SSD (BUT, I can only spare the cash from January going) 

I think individual devs must be provided with necessary gadgets and if the team/funds can’t do then fund raising can do. For me if a dev member needs some funds for use in the development of the game he just need to say so and see how people can contribute. PayPal should be easier.

Dev members and even mod members must be rewarded and motivation is not just passion. When it comes to this kind of endeavor there has to be a definitive goal. You can’t just keep on doing hundreds of alphas up to eternity and the game is still a WIP. 

Sell the game to a good developer, make money, reward the team members who contributed so the game can be completed. It’s not like we/players are at the mercy of what the dev will do, can do or can’t do and the game is not at it’s potential still to become the best or one of the best. Don’t treat this game as like a school project/experiment which a contributor jumps in and out and everything remains unfinished. 

Yeah we/players have a choice... and honestly I’m onto a last skirmish map (3 player Cycladic Archipelago)that I found to be interesting for my SP games. 

If OS X is one reason re-release is held up...I may feel sorry for some people/friends using it but as one guy said you can use old version... go ahead release without OS X testing, rebundle, debugging etc. if it works fine if not it’s fine too. At least it works on other OS.

• Like 1

Looks like trompetin17, Itms and Tobbi are saving the day!

To all macOS users: Please help us test this 0 A.D. Alpha 23 release candidate! Try to find and inform us of any bugs (in particular bugs that prevent you from actually playing the game)!

macOS Alpha 23 re-release candidate:

0ad .dmg 840.3 MB

https://mega.nz/#!Jcd2EaqB!uX5NiOYuaIzfdliy10nOZx9T2vsQK8AKltStDbE5IQs

• Thanks 1

@Sundiata @HMS-Surprise @iceblendedmocha @Wurri @Servo @Rolf Dew

1. Can you make sure to test the following ?
  2. Launch a random game
  3. Launch a normal skirmish.
  4. Connect to the lobby
  5. Play on the lobby with someone
  6. Launch Atlas 
  7. See if everything works there.
  8. Open Unit tests demo (To see if there any breakage in displaying entity's) 
  9. Try mods 
  10. If you need any help ping me :)
  11. sorry for the poke but I want to avoid another alpha 23 failure.
  12. Enable feedback and see if it works (Main menu)

Make sure to report any errors please. Also report your MacOs version :)

@feneur @Itms can we post on social media to say we need mac users to test the RC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rolf Dew said:

@stanislas69 I have tested each thing mentioned above and everything is running smoothly so far, will test further and keep you informed.

The ingame mod downloader is working now too! 

What version of MacOS are you running ? :)

@trompetin17 @vladislavbelov @elexis My own report (Virtual Machine)

• OSX Mavericks 10.9.5
  • Local Host ... Okay
  • SP Random Map (India), Okay
  • SP Skirmish Map... Okay
  • SP Replay... Okay
  • Atlas... Okay
  • Units_demo ... Okay
  • Lobby Connection... Crash
CallStack

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: _clock_gettime
  Referenced from: /Applications/0ad.app/Contents/MacOS/pyrogenesis
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   dyld                              0x00007fff6416009d dyld_fatal_error + 1
1   dyld                              0x00007fff64162df6 dyld::fastBindLazySymbol(ImageLoader**, unsigned long) + 171
2   libdyld.dylib                     0x00007fff8f5fd2dd dyld_stub_binder_ + 13
3   ???                               0x0000000103e3e008 0 + 4360232968
4   com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x00000001011e27b5 gnutls_handshake + 229
5   com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x00000001014a652b gloox::GnuTLSBase::handshake() + 59
6   com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x00000001014a7f36 gloox::TLSDefault::handshake() + 54
7   com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x00000001013ed65a gloox::Client::handleNormalNode(gloox::Tag*) + 7530
8   com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x000000010135f9bc gloox::ClientBase::handleTag(gloox::Tag*) + 5436
9   com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x0000000101353bab gloox::Parser::streamEvent(gloox::Tag*) + 59
10  com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x00000001013531dc gloox::Parser::closeTag() + 4028
11  com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x000000010134f902 gloox::Parser::feed(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >&) + 4306
12  com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x000000010136a0db gloox::ClientBase::parse(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> > const&) + 123
13  com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x000000010136c1de gloox::ClientBase::handleReceivedData(gloox::ConnectionBase const*, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> > const&) + 174
14  com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x00000001013546ae gloox::ConnectionTCPClient::recv(int) + 1054
15  com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x000000010135da94 gloox::ClientBase::recv(int) + 100
16  com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x0000000100003c4c RunGameOrAtlas(int, char const**) + 7676
17  com.wildfiregames.0ad             0x0000000100001d76 main + 54
18  libdyld.dylib                     0x00007fff8f5ff5fd start + 1

After digging a bit:

https://github.com/pocoproject/poco/issues/1453

clock_gettime() was added in macOS 10.12.

• ModManager... Okay
  • Mod.io ... Error
Game Id could not be retrieved.
Download failure. Server response: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?); SSL can't load CA certificate file /etc/ssl/cert.pem
  • Feedback server... Error
Feedback is currently enabled. Status:
Upload failed (SSL can't load CA certificate file /etc/ssl/cert.pem)

@asterix No but thank you. The release candidates for the other OS will come soon after this.