Known Problems (Please read before posting)

quantumstate

Hi @Joep1802, thanks for reporting the problem. I confirm that the behavior you've been observing is known. Arrows or other projectiles are not currently blocked by obstructions, that means that walls help prevent the enemy from walking farther, but your units behind the walls aren't shielded from the arrows in any way. There is only this small armor bonus that units get when you put them on the wall (using Ctrl + right click).

More has been written about this by @fatherbushido there: 

We could talk about if this behavior is wanted or correct. It sure is easier to compute the trajectory while neglecting any obstructions. So it's less CPU intensive and easier to implement by the programmers. Is it historically accurate though? Well, that depends. You can still at least do what ancient soldiers would do to prevent getting hit by arrows, that is keep alternating between the opposite directions of movement at a fast pace, which will fool even the most experienced ranged units into missing every shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boudica said:

It sure is easier to compute the trajectory while neglecting any obstructions. So it's less CPU intensive and easier to implement by the programmers.

Yes that was the idea.

To detail a bit more:

There is a delayed distant attack. All computations are done in fixed-point arithmetic.

Then there is a trajectory rendered. All computations are done with floats.

To handle blocking projectiles :

You have to do the second stuff in fixed-point arithmetic (slower)

You have to check for obstructions (slow too)

To check for obstructions :

you have to also take into account height of obstructions. Cylinder or cuboid are probably doable. But that could look really bad for some units for which this shape approximation is a bad approximation.

Something like that were done in the first simulation of the game (but that one could not handle multiplayer or saved games).

So there is some work to do, performances could be hurt badly, and you have still design choice to do.

-- fatherbushido

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, serlp97 said:

i downloaded the game 1 week ago, and it's great.

i just wanted to know if the lag problem is solved, because is really hard to play when lot of troops start fighting.

thank you

Set graphics to a minimum. Looks still decent.

Exit most or all other programs which run on your machine.

Even then the game can become laggy, but less likely

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Player of 0AD said:

Set graphics to a minimum. Looks still decent.

Exit most or all other programs which run on your machine.

Even then the game can become laggy, but less likely

i will try, thanks. This problem persists in online matches? i've never played them

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

there was a bug in A24 that made ships not throw arrows for garrisoned troups sometimes. Do you know about it? Has it been fixed? 

On 02/08/2021 at 2:01 PM, Πτολεμαῖοι said:

I do not, though I will try to get a screenshot the next time it happens.

replays are couples of files that you can find in your personal folder for the game files, they keep the log of what happens in the game so that you can see the replay in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that sometimes my enemy is fighting an invisible enemy although it certainly feels like they wanted to fight me ;-)Screenshot-2021-08-15-at-20-39-00.png

I'm blue, and yellow is the enemy. After sometime the units start moving towards the walls one by one till they eventually are all killed :).