Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

version 0.17.9 Fix:    Game setup civ assignment: nicks with custom rating now work  Updated:  FXAA: using official svn 24 alpha version (should fix some problems wit

What is AutoCiv This mod is an aggregation of features meant to enhance the 0 A.D. game experience. I usually implement these extra features as they come up with no general plan in mind. Downlo

version 0.17.1 Add: Minimap flare.  Press Alt + Mouse right click on top of the minimap to send a flare signal to allies*. Only one flare can be shown at a time. Observers cant send them. * Will

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, go2die said:

@nani How to include into alt+s also healers ?

"hotkey.autociv.session.entity.by.class.select.(Soldier|Siege|Dog)&!Ship""Alt+S",

add "Healer" class (disable the old one)

"hotkey.autociv.session.entity.by.class.select.Healer|(Soldier|Siege|Dog)&!Ship""Alt+S",

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

FIY Shift+Tab is also used in fgod to "change status bar"  so there is little collision. I recommend to simply remove fgod shortcut as autociv seems to be more used then static setting for fgod (also possible to turn on/off in options)

 

hotkey.session.playerstatsoverview = "Shift+Tab"

vs

hotkey.autociv.session.minimap.expand.toggle = "Shift+Tab"

Edited by go2die
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 12:31 PM, go2die said:

FIY Shift+Tab is also used in fgod to "change status bar"  so there is little collision. I recommend to simply remove fgod shortcut as autociv seems to be more used then static setting for fgod (also possible to turn on/off in options)

 

hotkey.session.playerstatsoverview = "Shift+Tab"

vs

hotkey.autociv.session.minimap.expand.toggle = "Shift+Tab"

wasn't Ctrl + Tab?

Link to post
Share on other sites

In fgod latest:

  Summary (Ctrl+Tab):            See last game summary again in lobby with hotkey Ctrl+Tab.

Shift+Tab is used to change player statistic overlay transparency (can be set in options -> In-Game too) and has this hotkey allocated by default (1.6.23 at least)
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

How difficult would it be to add hotkey support for the order of keys pressed? For example, the combination Z+X does something different than pressing X+Z.

Secondly, would it be practical/possible to assign duplicate hotkey combinations to some kind of array? For instance, a user could assign the placement of all civ-economy buildings to B+N, all military buildings to B+M, and all other buildings to B+L.

  In the game, pressing B+N once, when a worker is selected, brings up a house to place. If the building remains selected, but the foundation has not been placed yet, pressing B+N again, switches the building to be placed from the house to the storehouse, then; Farmstead, Field, Stables, and Dock, (assuming all were assigned the same hotkey combo), until the building is placed or action canceled.

The change would make the hotkey mod more "Accessibility" friendly. I'm not severely limited, but have chronic damaged postural back muscles from suv vs bike at highway speeds, circa 2014.

Ideally, for me, all key combinations I need would be within reach of the left hand 'F index' position. There are 24 standard keys (123456qwertyasdfghzxcvbn) I can reach easily, along with shift, control, alt, and space. If just the six keys of the left bottom row (zxcvbn (US english)) were fully available to any 2, 3, or 4 (finger) key combination, there are 50 possible combinations. I imagine that is more hotkeys than most people regularly use. If there were also array like assignments to a single key combination, every hotkey feature would be possible with just 6 keys.

 Regardless, thanks for the ability to modify the hotkeys. It really helps.

-Jake

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, the idleonly, idleunit, idlewarrior and idleworker hotkeys doesnt work for me, I tried with different keys and I even tried uninstalling the mod but it doesnt work. I only use fgod and balanced-maps mods.

Edit: Now its working I only had to clear the selection.nowondedonly and without that hotkey everything was perfect.

Edited by Lenhes
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lenhes said:

Hi, the idleonly, idleunit, idlewarrior and idleworker hotkeys doesnt work for me, I tried with different keys and I even tried uninstalling the mod but it doesnt work. I only use fgod and balanced-maps mods.

What kind of keyboard do you have? You might need to remap them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Stan` said:

What kind of keyboard do you have? You might need to remap them.

@Stan` Well its a normal QWERTY keyboard but I dont think that its the problem because in the vanilla the idle units options work well and with the autociv mod all the hotkeys work but the idle ones.

Edited by Lenhes
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2020 at 6:41 PM, Lenhes said:

Hi, the idleonly, idleunit, idlewarrior and idleworker hotkeys doesnt work for me, I tried with different keys and I even tried uninstalling the mod but it doesnt work. I only use fgod and balanced-maps mods.

Edit: Now its working I only had to clear the selection.nowondedonly and without that hotkey everything was perfect.

Yep, added an overlapping hotkey without noticing in an older version but the newer version should work fine (fixed) :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2020 at 2:24 AM, Jake L said:

How difficult would it be to add hotkey support for the order of keys pressed? For example, the combination Z+X does something different than pressing X+Z.

Secondly, would it be practical/possible to assign duplicate hotkey combinations to some kind of array? For instance, a user could assign the placement of all civ-economy buildings to B+N, all military buildings to B+M, and all other buildings to B+L.

  In the game, pressing B+N once, when a worker is selected, brings up a house to place. If the building remains selected, but the foundation has not been placed yet, pressing B+N again, switches the building to be placed from the house to the storehouse, then; Farmstead, Field, Stables, and Dock, (assuming all were assigned the same hotkey combo), until the building is placed or action canceled.

The change would make the hotkey mod more "Accessibility" friendly. I'm not severely limited, but have chronic damaged postural back muscles from suv vs bike at highway speeds, circa 2014.

Ideally, for me, all key combinations I need would be within reach of the left hand 'F index' position. There are 24 standard keys (123456qwertyasdfghzxcvbn) I can reach easily, along with shift, control, alt, and space. If just the six keys of the left bottom row (zxcvbn (US english)) were fully available to any 2, 3, or 4 (finger) key combination, there are 50 possible combinations. I imagine that is more hotkeys than most people regularly use. If there were also array like assignments to a single key combination, every hotkey feature would be possible with just 6 keys.

 Regardless, thanks for the ability to modify the hotkeys. It really helps.

-Jake

0ad engine doesn't distinguish between Z+X and X+Z, never the less, making modal hotkeys like in AOE (like you said) is possible but won't do it for this mod. cheers

Edited by nani
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mysticjim said:

First mini-episode covering 0AD mods

Gone for an established classic this time, will be working through similar common mods first, then branching out into the more leftfield ones after.

 

Very nice, I see you really liked the auto-assign, auto-train ones xd. As for APM I know is not very useful but i didn't find anyother way to measure the actions or what should be an action that can be measured with current code ...

BTW, I don't know if you know but all the features are listed here:

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24649-autociv-mod-0ad-enhancer/


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, nani said:

Very nice, I see you really liked the auto-assign, auto-train ones xd. As for APM I know is not very useful but i didn't find anyother way to measure the actions or what should be an action that can be measured with current code ...

BTW, I don't know if you know but all the features are listed here:

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24649-autociv-mod-0ad-enhancer/


 

 

Hi nani,

Yes, I really only targeted the most obvious features - it's pretty impressive just how many things you've crammed into the mod. It's a piece of work for sure :) 

One thing that has come up in the comments on Youtube - the autotrain feature - honestly, is it cheating? I've been testing it, and I'm producing at a far higher rate than I could ever manage using my own limited 0AD playing skills!!!!! I just crushed an opponent through sheer weight of numbers where otherwise it would have been a very close game. 

I feel if everyone had access to it within the core game it would be fair enough. But If I know my opponent doesn't use it, am I willingly giving myself an unfair advantage? And if I choose not to use it on principle, I know I'm going to get wiped out by an opponent who does.

It calls into question how many games I've lost against players because of this feature? I'm not a great player, make absolutely no mistake, but looking back at replays where I've been dumbfounded about far behind I've fallen in unit production really quickly, it makes me wonder! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mysticjim said:

Hi nani,

Yes, I really only targeted the most obvious features - it's pretty impressive just how many things you've crammed into the mod. It's a piece of work for sure :) 

One thing that has come up in the comments on Youtube - the autotrain feature - honestly, is it cheating? I've been testing it, and I'm producing at a far higher rate than I could ever manage using my own limited 0AD playing skills!!!!! I just crushed an opponent through sheer weight of numbers where otherwise it would have been a very close game. 

I feel if everyone had access to it within the core game it would be fair enough. But If I know my opponent doesn't use it, am I willingly giving myself an unfair advantage? And if I choose not to use it on principle, I know I'm going to get wiped out by an opponent who does.

It calls into question how many games I've lost against players because of this feature? I'm not a great player, make absolutely no mistake, but looking back at replays where I've been dumbfounded about far behind I've fallen in unit production really quickly, it makes me wonder! :) 

Wont deny it can be considered a cheat but I can assure you no pro player uses autotrain to win a fight, quite the contrary, having autotrain doesn't let you micromanage your resources precisely hence you eco will suffer from it. One thing they will do however is use it for the late game spamming and the very useful specific case: corrals, in fact I did add this feature because I wanted automatic corral production :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Auto train would indeed be cheating if only 1 player had access to it. 

But being a mod, you could argue any player has the 'right' to access it if they choose. Also being a mod, there isn't a way to disable it in a game setup to ensure no one player benefits from it. It opens a contentious can of worms I'd not previously considered. :) It relies on player honesty. Thats never a good thing! 

9 minutes ago, nani said:

Wont deny it can be considered a cheat but I can assure you no pro player uses autotrain to win a fight, quite the contrary, having autotrain doesn't let you micromanage your resources precisely hence you eco will suffer from it. One thing they will do however is use it for the late game spamming and the very useful specific case: corrals, in fact I did add this feature because I wanted automatic corral production :P

Strangely, I've found it totally helped my eco - certainly in the areas of the game where I struggle - which seems to be negotiating phase 2 into 3.  

I may be an edge case, but I found it transformed my strategic play - in so much that I was able to devote more attention to the bigger picture, rather than having to monitor the fact that I was producing units or not. I knew I was by default unless I purposefully stopped it. 0AD feels, to me at least, almost like a different game when I play using it. And I find it strangely hard now when I try and match that performance without it, knowing that with autotrain I'd be a good 20-30 units up on what I can do manually. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mysticjim said:

Also being a mod, there isn't a way to disable it in a game setup to ensure no one player benefits from it. It opens a contentious can of worms I'd not previously considered. :) It relies on player honesty. Thats never a good thing!

Rules only enforced by honesty have certainly been considered previously. For example players not looking at (and listening to) things that should be hidden from them in Widelands was discussed back in 2003-2004. It is trivial to modify such a game to see and hear everything. In just an evening, someone familiar with C++ but not with the 0 A.D. code can check out SVN, figure out which dependencies are needed and install them, get it all built, look around the code and find the places that need to be modified, change and test until it works. (Some things in the game might be hidden from the user by code written in JavaScript and would need some extra effort to modify.)

The linked wiki page discusses how this could be solved by a client-server architecture, like FreeCiv has, and how much bandwidth might be needed. An idea not mentioned there is a hybrid approach, where a set of trusted servers run the simulation in parallel like 0 A.D. does now, and each can act as a server for clients nearby on the network. That could for example keep intercontinental network traffic low, while using more bandwidth on the shorter routes to the users, enforcing incomplete knowledge of the game state.

Another approach that was not considered back in those years, was streaming the game (video and audio to the client, input back to the server). That would use immense amounts of bandwidth, which is actually available in many places nowadays, while enforcing incomplete knowledge and preventing many kinds of client-side game automation (like autotrain or logic to make units do something useful when they become idle), which some might consider to be cheats.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odalman said:

Rules only enforced by honesty have certainly been considered previously. For example players not looking at (and listening to) things that should be hidden from them in Widelands was discussed back in 2003-2004. It is trivial to modify such a game to see and hear everything. In just an evening, someone familiar with C++ but not with the 0 A.D. code can check out SVN, figure out which dependencies are needed and install them, get it all built, look around the code and find the places that need to be modified, change and test until it works. (Some things in the game might be hidden from the user by code written in JavaScript and would need some extra effort to modify.)

The linked wiki page discusses how this could be solved by a client-server architecture, like FreeCiv has, and how much bandwidth might be needed. An idea not mentioned there is a hybrid approach, where a set of trusted servers run the simulation in parallel like 0 A.D. does now, and each can act as a server for clients nearby on the network. That could for example keep intercontinental network traffic low, while using more bandwidth on the shorter routes to the users, enforcing incomplete knowledge of the game state.

Another approach that was not considered back in those years, was streaming the game (video and audio to the client, input back to the server). That would use immense amounts of bandwidth, which is actually available in many places nowadays, while enforcing incomplete knowledge and preventing many kinds of client-side game automation (like autotrain or logic to make units do something useful when they become idle), which some might consider to be cheats.

In a real, here and now sense, where does this leave us? 

In reality what is the etiquette when I join a multiplayer game? Should I willingly advise I have the mod and know full well how to use autotrain? How many other people actually use it? nani suggested that no pro player uses it to win a fight, but at the same time suggested that they do use it in some capacity.

 

Edited by mysticjim
clicked wrong button!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone wanting to cheat has access to various bugs in vanilla to make it possible without an additional mod. You can literally enable full vision in multiplayer, build stacked walls, stacked units, and at one point, get infinite resources using the barter system IIRC. Which are arguably much more game breaking "cheats". Seems arbitrary to draw the line at a feature that's irrelevant for any "pro" player. Hotkeys and control groups mean this feature is rather useless for most of them from what I can tell.

Some dude back in early 2019 was writing a mod / AI to handle economic micro management for him. With no concept of anti cheat, central authority, or trust mechanisms, such things are rather easy. I mean anyone could release a "cheats_mod.zip" right after A24 is released that is invisible in the compatibility detection sense. (I will do it for money $$$. That's a joke....unless?...).

"cheats_mod" user playing against another user with the mod is no problem. But the other way is a problem.

For a start, fix the flaw in mod compatibility detection. Having a security feature mods can literally mod out is rather useless. A somewhat easy way is to integrate checksums into the check which will also add an additional layer of security. mod.json declares checksum, modloader verifies it and pass through a function which gives a final hash which is whats compared between people to ensure their game is the same. Thats a scuffed solution but even that is better that whats already done.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smiley said:

full vision in multiplayer

Fixable with a client/server architecture (a lot of work to implement and somewhat more bandwidth use) or streaming (some work to implement, huge bandwidth use, need for advanced graphic hardware and power to run it for each player on the server side, probably lower graphic quality due to some lossy compression, and some lag).

For now, just play with full vision to make it equal for all players.

2 hours ago, smiley said:

build stacked walls

I assume that you mean many wall sections built from a turret. Easily fixable by requiring a minimum angle between them.

2 hours ago, smiley said:

stacked units

I assume that you mean for example the "lethal deathboat" with 17 catapults. Could probably be fixed with some effort.

2 hours ago, smiley said:

get infinite resources using the barter system IIRC

I assume that you mean infinite food from corrals or fields combined with bartering in the market. This gives infinite resources, limited by the time the market needs for the barter rate to regenerate between barters. Seems like a feature. If it can somehow be done instantly it is a bug and probably fixable.

 

Another issue on the list is unit dancing to avoid projectiles. That should be fixed with a more realistic unit motion model involving acceleration and direction change. This requires quite a lot of work and should probably have the highest priority among the major fixes.

For now, someone could implement a user-interface mod that spreads out attacks in time. For example, if a user selects 20 archers with attack rate of 1 Hz and clicks to attack a nearby enemy unit, his user interface could send an attack command for each of them with 50 ms between them. That should make it harder to avoid projectiles.

 

2 hours ago, smiley said:

Some dude back in early 2019 was writing a mod / AI to handle economic micro management for him.

Seems like a feature that lets the player focus more on higher level strategic issues and makes the game less of a clicking contest. Of course, those who want a clicking contest should play against each other and not the rest of the players.

Edited by odalman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Players interested in competitive multiplayer are a tiny minority. 0 A.D. has been downloaded over a million times from SourceForge alone (source) – and I guess most people nowadays got it directly from play0ad.com, a Linux distribution package, or even the svn version or a git mirror – so the vast majority does not go beyond single-player.

I'm not saying bugs should be ignored, but there will practically always be other ways to exploit a game and gain an advantage. And if someone makes a modification to make playing easier, then I don't see why that is a problem; isn't that the whole point of open source?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...