Is 0 A.D. still in development?

JuKu96

3 hours ago, JuKu96 said:

Hi together,

0 A.D. is a great game! But last alpha is from 2018.

Is the new alpha still in development or aren't there enough working people anymore?

Yes, it very much is. The last commit for the current stable (A23) was 21946; work on the next (A24) started on 26 December 2018. Right now we're at 23493, which means there have been 1547 commits in the past 14 months.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JuKu96 said:

Thank you all for your answer!
This sounds nice! :)

@Nescio And how much of the tickets are be done? Is there a progress in percentage?

I ask, because i am a fan of 0 A.D. and waiting for the nexft alpha. :D

Well it will likely still be long time in dev.  three sources  https://trac.wildfiregames.com/timelinehttps://trac.wildfiregames.com/milestone/Alpha 24  culmination of that (bit outdated) https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha24 , http://irclogs.wildfiregames.com/  and  some forum posts on this forum.

I believe that after the last barbarian invasion, the last developers were defeated and died on the battlefield. So, I think 0 A.D. game may now go through a long period of darkness, a kind of "Dark Age", and perhaps be a thousand years without a new release. Maybe in 3020 we will have a new Alpha ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/17/2020 at 4:10 AM, Sturm said:

I hear, they are planning to make 'Empires Besieged'. Well, I hope they would decide to make something at fantasy setting, because that 'alternate history' style is pretty sad, lean, and boring.

Spoiler

0.gif.231fb7f82596b764d7eb7a75b7021dfd.gif

Edited by Katauri

8 minutes ago, Katauri said:

I hear, they are planning to make 'Empires Besieged'. Well, I hope they would decide to make something at fantasy setting, because that 'alternate history' style is pretty sad, lean, and boring.

Hide contents

1813796103_legends2020-02-2009-51-16-21-1.gif.ae631b9963749a58a85d334e280ed251.gif

Ponies Ascendant and Hyrule Conquest not fantasy enough for ya?

I'm working (slowly) on https://www.moddb.com/mods/dwarfs

There was also a mythology mod @Rolf Dew was working on

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stan` said:

Ponies Ascendant and Hyrule Conquest not fantasy enough for ya?

Not enough. They are maded by 'franchises'. I expect something separaterd from 'third-party' universes (maybe Wesnoth in 3D RTS). Age of Mythology was too boring, because of too much simple antic structures, disguisted design, etc. RoN:RoL - that is good example of not ordinary fantasy without stupid 'meduses', 'vikings' or another popular cliche. And I'm not brony to accept Pony... The second reason to make fantasy style is no needs to be historical accurate. Especially in the naming. 0 A.D. as I understand it is 'fiction' 0 Anno Domini? What kind of 'Domini'?:D

Spoiler

antiquity-problems-dude-what-year-is-it-325-before-christ-7349612.png.ca163cb2ac5103245f34a5b2bae76873.png

The third reason to make fantasy - is that the historical games, especially that bronse age, feels not like game, but like Provincial Museum (of Archeological Fakes). I'm sorry, but known history is not science in classical description and was allways politicized, prestigious historians can be bribed and promote fake opinion by decades. How much more antique fakes should be revealed - no one will know. So... Interesting things, I would say. 0 A.D. is already kinda semi-fantasy game, but not so spectacular as RoL. If you understand what I mean. I hope, developers are sure in the sources of which they're copying armor and weapon.

Edited by Katauri

• 3 months later...

Hello Wildfire people! :) As you may know, I am not a developer, so I sometimes have a little difficulty understanding what was committed, follow the "Trac" tickets etc. and so, to actually understand what will appear in the next version or what will just be "under the hood" for now. So, I would like to ask you to provide a feedback on the current stage of some new features in the game that seem very promising (they are spread somewhere around the Forum, lol), especially from a visual point of view.

Some of my questions are:

1- Is it possible to alternate day / night during the same match? Is this in the roadmap?

2- What is nowadays the possibility to have lightning / storms during a match?

3- What is the possibility to have waterfalls in the scenery? Bridges?

4- Has any 0 ad Mod already implemented the possibility the use of firearms? Any expectation on this?

Obviously, I leave here my admiration for the work of all of you! 

Regards,

Sturm

Edited by Sturm
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, badosu said:

As far as I know 0ad can't handle water on elevated terrain properly, so everything below a certain level is water, above is not. It would be nice to be able to paint water on elevated surfaces, that would enable waterfalls to fruition

It need an actor simulating that.

7 hours ago, Sturm said:

- Is it possible to alternate day / night during the same match? Is this in the roadmap?

Not currently. Not for A24 but there is a ticket for it. Currently some maps are night and the rest are days.

7 hours ago, Sturm said:

- What is nowadays the possibility to have lightning / storms during a match?

Not possible yet. @vladislavbelov worked on something but didn't release anything usable.

7 hours ago, Sturm said:

3- What is the possibility to have waterfalls in the scenery

There are small waterfall actors. But as it was said before you cannot have different water levels without hacking it a bit.

7 hours ago, Sturm said:

Bridges

Only if you created them in the scenario thet are not destroyable buildable.

7 hours ago, Sturm said:

Has any 0 ad Mod already implemented the possibility the use of firearms? Any expectation on this?

Yes at least one (Pyrogenesis 1861) maybe @Trinketos's mod

What do you expect?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, badosu said:

I'm interested in knowing more about this, is there some reference I can look at?

Well you have water planes in actors. So if you set the obstruction around them units won't be able to cross them and you can have multiple levels.

For waterfalls just look at actors i think it's geology something

On 6/10/2020 at 2:32 AM, Stan` said:

Not possible yet. @vladislavbelov worked on something but didn't release anything usable.

Do you mean that Vladislavbelov work is useless? Shame, Vlad, shame, shame... LOL. Just kidding! Great work, even if its still a WIP, Vlad! Hum, I take the opportunity to ask about the "Cinematic camera" tool, as we may see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkLrpkow7XU . Is this a finished tool nowadays? :)