Suggestions for 0 A.D.

4 hours ago, Servo said:

Since I started playing from A21 up to now I never noticed any changes in mechanics except balancing and few fixes just to maintain the game running and playable. No one even dared to itrdiminish spamming of units 

I know that the programming side has limited manpower which will really stall the game to its current state. Are there any dev members (On the programming area) really interested to further introduce other mechanics like ammo, armory,  supply wagon, and other defense structures. Also citizen-soldiers are fine but could they just start from being regular peasants but once upgraded to citizen soldiers could they just be builders as they really look like professional soldiers?  

Any new mechanics don’t need to be incorporated to the main game but just place those into the repository so that some modders can use such new assets. 

Any new addition/s might require added micromanagement but imo it is where great games can evolve. It’s not just about fast spamming units but rather adding more depth to the game. 

You train soldiers with just food and wood/metal but no weapons and armor (units have armor stats) being produced. You make towers and forts that fire projectiles without garrisoned range units (same as ghost warships), you train range organic units and sieges with unlimited projectiles. What’s the reason why I the mechanics can’t be closer to realistic? As I’ve said these things don’t need to be in the main game in which MP games are the top priority. 

I think the programming side are not capable, ofc I’m not capable because the field is not what I studied or trained for. Alexandermb and other art members is/are really working quite hard to do animations for possible changes that may be introduced. 

The players are trying to contribute so that when funds can be collected perhaps the devs can hire a good programmer/s Or why not give some monetary reward/s to the dev members? At least each and everyone’s contribution were not only recognized but rather rewarded. 

I think the thing with added mechanics like ammo, supply wagons, towers that need to be garrisoned to function, is that for the dev's to add things like that, they would need to also know if they want the game to go in that direction or even if majority of the player base would like the game to have increased micro management and complexity, while some of these features might be great for one that likes a more realistic game (like myself and some others), it might put off others that prefer a game similiar to tradional rts games. It's hard to balance the two when it comes to adding game changing features, some in the community prefer the game to be like age of empires, while others want it to have more city simulation aspects, still others want it to have more total war features and so on. 

• Replies 3,7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's some suggestions I have for the game. I've tried to avoid obvious ones (like improved pathing), but probably many of them have been discussed before. BUGS (1) When constructing buildi

This is my feedback regarding Promotion Animation: I don't like it. How about following the Red Alert 2 tradition? A Promotion Visual popping over the unit's head It's a little bit like the Move

A Compass for the Map. No need to explain why it's a Nice-to-have. But what I kind of want as a consequence is to make that gold map border a little bit thicker so that I could use it to rot

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Rolf Dew said:

I think the thing with added mechanics like ammo, supply wagons, towers that need to be garrisoned to function, is that for the dev's to add things like that, they would need to also know if they want the game to go in that direction or even if majority of the player base would like the game to have increased micro management and complexity, while some of these features might be great for one that likes a more realistic game (like myself and some others), it might put off others that prefer a game similiar to tradional rts games. It's hard to balance the two when it comes to adding game changing features, some in the community prefer the game to be like age of empires, while others want it to have more city simulation aspects, still others want it to have more total war features and so on. 

The good thing about Open Source, is that with the right mechanics available, modders can turn it into whatever they like. There are ways to have these realistic aspects while keeping the micro down. With the towers, one of the ways would be to have the town bell on autopilot so that the closest military units manned the tower, and the civilians ran into the houses. Actually, this is already quite easily doable in Javascript and is one thing I plan to do for my mod.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rolf Dew said:

@myou5e Right being open source and very mod friendly, allows all kinds of different gameplay mods to be made. 

Here is a Readme from my Github with a description of the Mod that I have planned. The Readme is in a sub directory because it's part of a larger project. I have actually implemented about 50% or 60% probably in small test cases but not over the whole project.

Ars Bellica

• Thanks 1

@myou5e definitely I will test it if it’s working or not as long as you introduce new mechanics. I recently been playing the game in SP but as usual it becomes a little bit annoying without more realistic game mechanics. I tried Aoe2DE for 300 hours after its release but the freakin AI enemy just stall and not doing anything even if I give them resources. The only thing that’s good is the monk who can convert units and no matter what you do the AI just stop attacking despite having so many units. Tbh both 0ad and Aoe lacks depth compared to RoN imo. Somehow AoE is only playable on windows. 

0ad has so many units but I’m not a fan of too many colorful ones although they were being made historical. Lots of champion units look really good but Roman principate skirmisher and swordsmen really look cool. But mauryan and another archer from South America faction I don’t remember are both really natural looking units. 

The best looking looking naval map is the Cycladic Archipelago but the Enemy AI has a serious pathfinding issue. Ships gets stuck and therefore organic units get stuck. Very narrow passages between small middle islands compound the issues as either ships and trader ships are getting bogged down. DE has one pretty good random map with lakes so naval can be of use. 

One last 2 critic, can’t zoom out be extended more? It’s so hard to capture a shot of your whole settlement tbh. And why do skirmishers having fun like jogging? Can’t they just walk or if running is implemented then they can either jog or run? Archers behave so naturally, why not the skirmisher?

Im just a gamer...

Simple accomplishment on AoE 2DE 9 unhurt wolves were rounded in a small area  

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1944364833

Edited by Servo
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, myou5e said:

Here is a Readme from my Github with a description of the Mod that I have planned. The Readme is in a sub directory because it's part of a larger project. I have actually implemented about 50% or 60% probably in small test cases but not over the whole project.

Ars Bellica

Very nice about roads and city building you can use 

• Like 1

@myou5e will you please include the other factions from Terra Magna (Zapotecs, very gorgeous)  and Mil AD (Norse, Anglo Saxons and Byzantine)? You can put any done Hero if they are missing though. Balancing in SP games doesn’t tbh as CS are enough to get through and beat 2 toughest AIs. Whether theses factions aren’t complete with no naval units don’t matter at all. The most important thing is you can show these well done factions. 

I hope at least some modders can make a mod with all these not included (in main game) factions together. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Servo said:

@myou5e will you please include the other factions from Terra Magna (Zapotecs, very gorgeous)  and Mil AD (Norse, Anglo Saxons and Byzantine)? You can put any done Hero if they are missing though. Balancing in SP games doesn’t tbh as CS are enough to get through and beat 2 toughest AIs. Whether theses factions aren’t complete with no naval units don’t matter at all. The most important thing is you can show these well done factions. 

I hope at least some modders can make a mod with all these not included (in main game) factions together. 

@ServoPresently I'm working on the base game needed for all Civs. But would you prefer several mods that are balanced with different factions and restricted to a particular region and time period, or would you prefer ONE mod that includes all? I was actually planning on doing several smaller mods. The reason is that I think the game will feel much more submersive.

These folders show the separate mods that I plan to make available. Basically Ars Bellica will be the base mod, the others will be cultural add-ons. Some of the smaller factions that are listed in those folders will likely not be added or they will be very close to the other factions, use the same artset and just have a slightly different civ bonus.

9 hours ago, asterix said:

Very nice about roads and city building you can use 

@asterix Yes I know of the city building mod and I will be using some of its ideas. The pony mod? What about it? Does it have city building features too?

Edited by myou5e
  • 1 month later...

/ban current_player_in_game should ask for a conformation or be something more complex like /ban! or so to avoid accidental bans and therfore end of the game. This can happen with auto completion and i saw it at least 3 times

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, ffm2 said:

/ban current_player_in_game should ask for a conformation or be something more complex like /ban! or so to avoid accidental bans and therfore end of the game. This can happen with auto completion and i saw it at least 3 times

Can add proof of concept in autociv if wanted 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

/ban help

/ban add <playername>

/ban remove <playername>

/ban list

/ban auto <on/off>  (Bans could be a blacklist to prevent certain friends from joining games.  Alternative to 'ban list' could be having other than a "friends" list such as a "watched players" list)

Edited by Dizaka
  • Like 1