Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

@myou5e definitely I will test it if it’s working or not as long as you introduce new mechanics. I recently been playing the game in SP but as usual it becomes a little bit annoying without more realistic game mechanics. I tried Aoe2DE for 300 hours after its release but the freakin AI enemy just stall and not doing anything even if I give them resources. The only thing that’s good is the monk who can convert units and no matter what you do the AI just stop attacking despite having so many units. Tbh both 0ad and Aoe lacks depth compared to RoN imo. Somehow AoE is only playable on windows. 

0ad has so many units but I’m not a fan of too many colorful ones although they were being made historical. Lots of champion units look really good but Roman principate skirmisher and swordsmen really look cool. But mauryan and another archer from South America faction I don’t remember are both really natural looking units. 

The best looking looking naval map is the Cycladic Archipelago but the Enemy AI has a serious pathfinding issue. Ships gets stuck and therefore organic units get stuck. Very narrow passages between small middle islands compound the issues as either ships and trader ships are getting bogged down. DE has one pretty good random map with lakes so naval can be of use. 

One last 2 critic, can’t zoom out be extended more? It’s so hard to capture a shot of your whole settlement tbh. And why do skirmishers having fun like jogging? Can’t they just walk or if running is implemented then they can either jog or run? Archers behave so naturally, why not the skirmisher?

Im just a gamer...

Simple accomplishment on AoE 2DE 9 unhurt wolves were rounded in a small area  

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1944364833

Edited by Servo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, myou5e said:

Here is a Readme from my Github with a description of the Mod that I have planned. The Readme is in a sub directory because it's part of a larger project. I have actually implemented about 50% or 60% probably in small test cases but not over the whole project.

Ars Bellica

Very nice about roads and city building you can use 

• Like 1

@myou5e will you please include the other factions from Terra Magna (Zapotecs, very gorgeous)  and Mil AD (Norse, Anglo Saxons and Byzantine)? You can put any done Hero if they are missing though. Balancing in SP games doesn’t tbh as CS are enough to get through and beat 2 toughest AIs. Whether theses factions aren’t complete with no naval units don’t matter at all. The most important thing is you can show these well done factions. 

I hope at least some modders can make a mod with all these not included (in main game) factions together. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Servo said:

@myou5e will you please include the other factions from Terra Magna (Zapotecs, very gorgeous)  and Mil AD (Norse, Anglo Saxons and Byzantine)? You can put any done Hero if they are missing though. Balancing in SP games doesn’t tbh as CS are enough to get through and beat 2 toughest AIs. Whether theses factions aren’t complete with no naval units don’t matter at all. The most important thing is you can show these well done factions. 

I hope at least some modders can make a mod with all these not included (in main game) factions together. 

@ServoPresently I'm working on the base game needed for all Civs. But would you prefer several mods that are balanced with different factions and restricted to a particular region and time period, or would you prefer ONE mod that includes all? I was actually planning on doing several smaller mods. The reason is that I think the game will feel much more submersive.

These folders show the separate mods that I plan to make available. Basically Ars Bellica will be the base mod, the others will be cultural add-ons. Some of the smaller factions that are listed in those folders will likely not be added or they will be very close to the other factions, use the same artset and just have a slightly different civ bonus.

9 hours ago, asterix said:

Very nice about roads and city building you can use 

@asterix Yes I know of the city building mod and I will be using some of its ideas. The pony mod? What about it? Does it have city building features too?

Edited by myou5e

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, ffm2 said:

/ban current_player_in_game should ask for a conformation or be something more complex like /ban! or so to avoid accidental bans and therfore end of the game. This can happen with auto completion and i saw it at least 3 times

Can add proof of concept in autociv if wanted 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

/ban help

/ban add <playername>

/ban remove <playername>

/ban list

/ban auto <on/off>  (Bans could be a blacklist to prevent certain friends from joining games.  Alternative to 'ban list' could be having other than a "friends" list such as a "watched players" list)

Edited by Dizaka
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please! a very basic thing, do the buildings proportionate to men. In every strategic game (Aoe all editions, AoM), all building are small if you view the man's size. Why? It's horrible. 

This is a wonderful project, resize building and boats in real size. PLEASE!

thank u in advance, have nice day!

additional victory condition: have X% (e.g. 50%) more pop than enemy. This is useful, since one needs siege to end every game now. Even worse playing against a bullheaded Iberian refusing to resign. Or when players enter a boom period after a hard battle and the game is already over.

wonder - takes even longer than siege

capture - doesn't work when the cc has ~10 men inside (and even later vs Iber with walls)

relic - one relic can be send inside the the iber walls or next to cc

regicide - horse can run around and hide in fog of war

This option is just to play a normal victory game + end when its futile. This is to save the last unnecessary 15 min. of a game when all is decided.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I know that the feature freeze is gonna to be soon however there are some changes I think would be important on the new version.

In the Alpha version Mercenaries are way to expensive and cost almost as much as champions. I tested it out in scenario editor and found champ cavalry are around 3.5 times greater than merc cavalry both spear man when they cost almost the same amount of metal. Mercenaries should be at most 25 to 50 metal to make them any use. Also because they cannot collect resources they become a drag on economy. In the Military Colony, there is no trainable units besides woman that can collect resources which make the colony not help the economy. I don't like this because I don't think people will be using mercenaries if this is on the final release.

I like the change to the lighthouse being that it is just a radius of viability however I think it has a very low viability for it to be useful.

I have an idea for improving path finding. I don't know much about path finding besides some algorithms like A* which I think 0ad uses. If you could make it so that when you move multiple units, the path finding would first try to find a path where the unit bounding box is larger. This would make many units not try to go through other units but go around I think and then they could try a narrower path if the wide path is too far.

I like the speed improvement to spear cavalry so they can chase down ranged cavalry however this should be tweaked down a little because guerrilla tactics would be almost impossible with ranged cavalry if the enemy has spear cavalry.

What would be really cool is if elephants could run down infantry and deal splash damage. This would be more realistic because they would be fit for battles and not just siege. I saw they have "trunk damage" now but don't know what this does. They seem much better in the new update so this may be a little op.

Also there should be some sort of trainable thing in the fortress. Maybe unique champion to fortress or a siege.

Edited by cowehe8775

1 hour ago, cowehe8775 said:

In the Alpha version Mercenaries are way to expensive and cost almost as much as champions.

I still like this idea i had about this; Make mercenary cost relatively low at the start of the game  and increase the price every time the unit gets bought.

1 hour ago, Grapjas said:

I still like this idea i had about this; Make mercenary cost relatively low at the start of the game  and increase the price every time the unit gets bought.

another option would be to make them free but introduce an upkeep cost of maybe 1f and 1m every second. I think that would come close to reality, since mercernaries were easy to hire but expensive to keep.

18 minutes ago, nifa said:

another option would be to make them free but introduce an upkeep cost of maybe 1f and 1m every second. I think that would come close to reality, since mercernaries were easy to hire but expensive to keep.

I like this, but then it takes some extra thinking on what to do when you run out of metal. Does it go negative? If it goes negative, will the Mercs defect? It would also take a little UI work to let you know your metal depletion rate so you can adjust metal income.

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I like this, but then it takes some extra thinking on what to do when you run out of metal. Does it go negative? If it goes negative, will the Mercs defect? It would also take a little UI work to let you know your metal depletion rate so you can adjust metal income.

I imagine it like having a contract with them, and if you can't pay they just leave. Also you should be able to fire them. I also remember a game where they turn against you and fight your own men when you don't pay, but I'm not sure weather i like that

4 minutes ago, nifa said:

I imagine it like having a contract with them, and if you can't pay they just leave.

I think a better solution would be that the mercenaries get demoralized, meaning their stats (ATT/DEF) will be lowered if you dont have the resources to upkeep them. Im not sure if this upkeep mechanic fits into the game at all though, but it's not a bad suggestion.

2 minutes ago, nifa said:

I imagine it like having a contract with them, and if you can't pay they just leave. Also you should be able to fire them. I also remember a game where they turn against you and fight your own men when you don't pay, but I'm not sure weather i like that

Could make it simple and just have it go to 0 metal, and then you just can't train more merc or research any metal costing techs until your metal income starts to outpace merc pay.

But in my ideal game (DE+), you'd have battalions ( ;) ) of mercs you'd hire for coin ( a resource which has a positive "trickle rate") and each battalion would have a negative trickle rate of coin. Now, if the coin goes negative, the merc battalions start to lose loyalty and have a chance to go gaia and start attacking you (or anyone else, see: Mamartines, Mercenary War, et al.). Merc battalions would hire instantly and have a small upfront cost. 

On 1/30/2021 at 8:50 PM, Grapjas said:

That's a great idea. What if they cost differently like trading in the market. Like bartering for resources, they start low then they get more expensive the more players buy them. That would be realistic. Or the cost could be relative to the metal cost in the market.

• Like 1