[HELP NEEDED]===Mods RC

Stan`

Okay so it's one o'clock in the morning and I packaged three mods.
For some reason it would consistently crash on windows but it didn't on linux, so I guess there is something fishy with lineendings or something similar.

Possible bugs:

• There should only be three civs in Ponies Ascendant, but deleted folders do not seem to work.
  • The tweaked Terra Magna skeletons might break the shark and crocodile, this needs to be investigated.
  • Get ready for anything, but please report them here, and only here.

terra_magna.pyromod

millenniumad.pyromod

ponies_ascendant.pyromod

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

but deleted folders do not seem to work.

.DELETED everything doesn't work, so that in its current state the archiver will create a Hyrule Conquest mod where the Hyrulians are battling Spartans. ;) 

Also, the archiver flips its @#$% over all kinds of random things. Like, okay, it didn't like that PNG or DAE for some reason, just include the original file into the archive and skip the compression already! :D Now, I am wondering if an uncompressed archive still has the same problem with DELETED files/folders as we know a compressed archive does. Have you tested that?

Another issue is that the "ModdingGuide" page is misleading, specifically as the command told to enter into Powershell has improper syntax. BTW, the way you told me to go about it should be the suggested way described on that page. Your quick tutorial via private message was way easier and more helpful, as the ModdingGude page seems to have been written by someone very competent in programming and assumes the reader also has this competency (many modders won't, guilty as charged), no offense intended to the author. :) 

The packaging in Windows for me was a pain, mostly for the issues that are fixed by your packing mod. Might as well commit the packing mod and cmd file to the core repository unless there is a more comprehensive fix (which I suspect there is, but the packing mod/cmd file you gave me could be a nice quick fix for A23 modders).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

DELETED everything doesn't work, so that in its current state the archiver will create a Hyrule Conquest mod where the Hyrulians are battling Spartans. ;)

I don't think it works either when in an uncompressed archive. I'm not able to figure out the code just yet.

Also, the archiver flips its @#$% over all kinds of random things. Like, okay, it didn't like that PNG or DAE for some reason, just include the original file into the archive and skip the compression already! :D

Yeah that's annoying and it only crashes on Windows. Adding a try catch doesn't work either else it'd be easy to check if it succeeded and if not copy the original file instead.

Another issue is that the "ModdingGuide" page is misleading, specifically as the command told to enter into Powershell has improper syntax. BTW, the way you told me to go about it should be the suggested way described on that page. Your quick tutorial via private message was way easier and more helpful, as the ModdingGude page seems to have been written by someone very competent in programming and assumes the reader also has this competency (many modders won't, guilty as charged), no offense intended to the author

Indeed. I am planning to fix that once I'm sure I'm doing things correctly ^^ 

Are you saying I'm not competent at programming ? :P (Just kidding)

The packaging in Windows for me was a pain, mostly for the issues that are fixed by your packing mod. Might as well commit the packing mod and cmd file to the core repository unless there is a more comprehensive fix (which I suspect there is, but the packing mod/cmd file you gave me could be a nice quick fix for A23 modders).

Yeah it's a PITA. It works better on Linux though. It doesn't crash at least. Can't say much about the result hence the RC filed.

As too committing the package_mod to the main repository it would be completely redundant with the public mod... I could move the files out of public and ask people to commit there but then it would be a pain for devs :P

I need to create  tickets for (Some are done already) a few things naming namingly :

- The game not using XMB files (faster XML files for everything) I believe that's a is bug. But it could be a limitation. The main point of only using XMB would be to reduce the size by more than 10% for files that shouldn't be in releases. Also let's say you want to make a mod that doesn't share it's templates you would be able to. 

Adding a command line option should be pretty straightforward.

- Adding a ending message saying the build was finished

- Finding a way to debug correctly on Windows so you don't have to rely on tools.

- Fixing the freaking annoying crashes with daes in Fcollada on Windows. On Linux it doesn't even crash or care. Especially since there is no way I found to catch them. Using try {} catch (...) doesn't work.

- Passing paths is messy and will change depending on your OS. So a file using binaries\Data\mods\whatever will not work on Linux.

- Allowing mods to not copy their dependencies. Currently the entire skeletons folder will be copied over from the package mod to the destination pyromods which is lame. So maybe an argument like -packaging-mod

- Pyromods don't copy to their destination if they are on a different file system. This is a pain for me on Linux because my repo is on an NTFS drive.

- Pyromods do not replace existing ones. At least not that I can see.

- It's totally dumb to have to extract the mod.json while keeping it in the archive.

- It's also dumb to have to put them in specific folders. The game should just use the zip name.

11 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

@stanislas69 Does this work with the last release candidate for alpha 23? I'm still waiting for the OSX fix before downloading the official alpha 23 (I'm cheap and I don't want to waste unnecessary mb's, #justafricanthings...)

Yep it does :) Actually one of the reasons I asked you to try is because you are on macOS

4 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

on win10 keeps crashing with this both alpha 23 1st release and SVN recently updated version:

Hide contents

image.png.994f4928d289f2ded4abf6337c749046.png

You can press continue until it goes away :) Would be nice to figure out what textures are failing though.

3 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Can I still commit a few actors and textures to Millennium AD? Testing at the moment.

Sure. I needed to package them to see if it was even doable.

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Only iI  need put these pyramid in my mod folder?

Drag and drop those files on top of pyrogenesis.exe

• Thanks 1

@stanislas69 Sorry, I need you to hold my hand here and walk me through it... I put the mod in ~/Library/Application Support/0ad/mods/ but it doesn't show up in mod-selection? Dragging it over the 0AD icon doesn't do anything either, and my computer doesn't recognize the file if I double click it. Forgive me for my noobishness :unsure: 

6 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

@stanislas69 Sorry, I need you to hold my hand here and walk me through it... I put the mod in ~/Library/Application Support/0ad/mods/ but it doesn't show up in mod-selection? Dragging it over the 0AD icon doesn't do anything either, and my computer doesn't recognize the file if I double click it. Forgive me for my noobishness :unsure: 

It's okay :).

So I'm not sure how it's done on Mac but I believe you can drag and drop it on the 0ad icon and it should install itself ;) it will then open the game. You needn't do anything else :)

14 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

So I'm not sure how it's done on Mac but I believe you can drag and drop it on the 0ad icon and it should install itself ;) it will then open the game. You needn't do anything else :)

It doesn't seem to do anything... It just sits there like:

Spoiler

pancake_bunny.thumb.jpg.38ab28c9633e3587e955cbed7b07cc7b.jpg

• Thanks 1

You could also open a terminal where you downloaded the mods and type

pyrogenesis milleniumad.pyromod and see if something happens.

Else you have to go in the mod folder rename pyromod to zip create a folder called 

milleniumad

Put the zip in it. Open the zip and only grab the mod.json and put it in the folder next to the zip then launch the game.

55 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

It doesn't seem to do anything... It just sits there like:

Ignore everyone else's advice.

In Windows you can set the default program that opens any file. I am not sure how to do this in your O/S, but in Windows it is very simple. Just right-click the .pyromod file, choose properties, where it says opens with, click change, then choose pyrogenesis.exe. From then on you can double-click any pyromod file and pyrogenesis.exe will sort it all out for you. It is very likely your O/S has a similar feature.

If you already have an older version of the millenniumad mod stored in your mod folder, then you need to delete it or rename the folder because the pyromod process refuses to overwrite an existing mod.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

3 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

In Windows you can set the default program that opens any file. I am not sure how to do this in your O/S, but in Windows it is very simple. Just right-click the .pyromod file, choose properties, where it says opens with, click change, then choose pyrogenesis.exe. From then on you can double-click any pyromod file and pyrogenesis.exe will sort it all out for you. It is very likely your O/S has a similar feature.

If you already have an older version of the millenniumad mod stored in your mod folder, then you need to delete it or rename the folder because the pyromod process refuses to overwrite an existing mod.

He is on Mac tho :P

12 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

great idea.

@stanislas69   ok I tried every mod and I got in all three mods and with all civilizations except Chinese, the same error as Alexandermb showed interestingly thought it was complaining in object manager in all three mods that the decal is missing in medium farmstead and in terra magna also that it did not found  Xion post.