Some problem: spam(bots)

Player of 0AD

6 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Lately this forum has a bigger problem with spam. Maybe a solution would be to forbid new accounts to post links?

I've recommended this several times. Ideally that policy would also apply to profiles, since many of the spam events are limited to posting links in the profiles.

It looks like about 20 spam accounts are created per week, and only a few of them make posts. The rest are changing their profiles to include links and images. Forum moderators are deleting spam and banning spam accounts every day or every few days. It would be great to restrict new accounts by default, although then the problem would just be delayed since the bots would wait until their restrictions were lifted and start posting spam. The person to talk to about this is @implodedok There was a mention of a paid module for the forum that would help to prevent new spam accounts from being created. And, maybe switching to different forum software would provide more spam control features.

But, it's not a pain point for implodedok because he doesn't do moderation of the forum from what I can see. It's a pain point for the forum users and moderators like me. We keep squashing spam, but it's reactive instead of proactive. Google indexes it within hours, not days, and it affects our PageRank.

• Like 1

Maybe we should limit even more the right of new accounts, such as prohibiting the creation of threads, removing hyperlinks in their posts (displaying only the raw url), limiting their posts to a few threads (a general thread for bug reporting, a thread for welcoming new members, an off-topic thread...), etc.

24 hours after their first post, we could lift a few limitations and give the possibility to post anywhere. 24 hours after their 5th post, we could authorize the creation of threads. etc.

There is also the possibility to create a trap thread. Those fake accounts are generally robots who don't understand the context. We could have a thread that freeze any account for a few hours if it posts something there.

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, alre said:

captchas

Indeed, a service meant to play cat and mouse with spam bots can greatly reduce the amount of automated spam.

Against humans and the odd spam bot which still makes it through, simply requiring moderator approval for publishing anything will work wonders. Once a moderator is convinced it's a genuine account would be when to removing the needs moderation status.

New users often have an issue they can't solve. All those suggested limitations make it hard to get help. Imagine you have to create a dozen post with random requirements before you can actually properly describe your issue.

• Like 2

the best and easier way to stop this gummies seller bots is captcha on login form too, you won't believe how easier it is to make a script that can navigate , login and even perform certain actions like posting or liking by simple headless web crawls or selenium. Spam bot reports were very lower the past two months as compared to current month, the more we ban the more they come.

32 minutes ago, panda said:

Is it possible to make the link for creating an account only accessible via the game?

It doesn't seem to work. For example if a person plays on a computer without an internet connection and uses a phone to download files and visit websites.

21 minutes ago, rossenburg said:

the best and easier way to stop this gummies seller bots is captcha on login form too

If they can pass registration captcha why they wouldn't for login?

Also we don't have a reliable way to distinguish a real person from a prepaid person to spam until they post.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Today I reported four threads. Is it helpful for forums moderators if those got reported

I believe it's useful for posts that aren't on the first page already (when a lot of activity on the forum), because it makes a search faster.

17 minutes ago, Obelix said:

or do you get mailbombed after every appearance?

I think it depends on a mail service and how to arrange groups. I don't get mailbombed.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone@implodedok

I found discussion from other Invision Community forum system administrators about how they're fighting spam. I like the idea of enabling content moderation for the first 1 or first 3 posts for all new users. Some admins said that it stopped nearly all of the spam posts. Also, check out the paid cleartalk module. And, there are additional tips, even how to try to prevent spam in profiles.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/473832-spam/#comment-2941687

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/474133-spam-attack-suggestions-to-slow-them-down/#comment-2943826

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/474157-site-being-overun-by-spammers/#comment-2956370

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/471215-spam-prevention-question/?do=findComment&comment=2952673

Let's do more than what we have done so far, please. wowgetoffyourcellphone said in IRC today that we are getting 20 spam posts per day. He's getting frustrated and asking about changing our forum software. I said that changing the forum software would be a big task, and we should carry out the measures available to us with the existing Invision Community forum software and compatible modules.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Norse_Harold said:

I found discussion from other Invision Community forum system administrators about how they're fighting spam. I like the idea of enabling content moderation for the first 1 or first 3 posts for all new users. Some admins said that it stopped nearly all of the spam posts. Also, check out the paid cleartalk module. And, there are additional tips, even how to try to prevent spam in profiles.

That sounds interesting, I'll try to reach implodedok directly.

The only downside I see that we'll need to dig through those spams to find a valid account of newcommers.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

Maybe we could have some " I am not a bot " kind of confirmation before posts are made, by asking a simple question etc. That would at least help if noone does the posts manually.

It is getting more and more difficult, with the development of AI. Captcha currently doesn't work anymore.

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

Maybe we could have some " I am not a bot " kind of confirmation before posts are made, by asking a simple question etc. That would at least help if noone does the posts manually.

Ask a question related to history in the login and have it change every so often.

Like:

Who was sparticus's father?

Or:

What did Plutarch call Heroditous?

Anyone who wants to register can easily look that up, but I don't think the bots are smart enough to do so.

• Like 1