Sign in to follow this  
Stockfish

Discuss/Brainstorm Ideas for Lobby Improvements [LOBBY] (We need you!)

Hello all 0 A.D. community =)

I'm doing this post with some possibles A24 changes.

We need your help to apport ideas. Let's do all of us a big brainstorming!

I've been talking to @user1 and we got some interesting possible changes.

1) Lobby changes:

Lobby could be divided into sublobbies

Spoiler

On 1/27/2020 at 3:01 PM, Stockfish said:

I think that is not a secret that lobby style is too old. Maybe should be changed for something  more ''atractive''

What i propose is to make a big lobby where all players are there chatting or just being, and then 3 sublobbys (maybe more or less depending of the wellness of your ideas)

- Team Games Lobby:      As the name shows, a lobby to play multiplayer games

- Rated 1v1 Lobby:           As the name shows a lobby to play 1v1 rated

- Casual Games Lobby:   As the name shows a lobby to play non rated 1v1s

Ok, let's do here another way, a way where there is a rating in TGs. (We'll talk about this in some time)

In case that there is a possible TGs rating, the Casual Games Lobby would be to play TGs and 1v1s unrated.

I'll let design stuff to you,  think about some ideas and coment them!!

Spoiler

On 6/22/2019 at 4:17 AM, HMS-Surprise said:

Is it possible to add a prefix to the players who want to be coach. Something like mods have "@" but different one, easy to recognise. Therefore, we can introduce that we have coaches in the lobby

2) Rating System Changes 

There could be 'seasons'. After a season, user's ratings could be reset.

Spoiler

1) Making seasons. Yes, making for example 3 mounths seasons and when season ends, restart the points in new season to the initial ones. I propose to start with 1600 points. 

Leagues that depend on your rank.

Spoiler

2) Making a League Mode. This is handed with the first point, and in my opinion is the most atractive point. Why not making Rated Games Lobby a league mode, having a league

depending of your rating. I give you an example:

Wood League: (-1400) - Stone League: (1400-1600) - Bronze League: (1600-1800) - Silver League: (1800-1950) - Golden League: (1950-2100) - Platinun League (2100-2250)

Diamond League: (2250-2350)    /// Here, we would be at 1730 ratting more or less, which is a strong rating. Top 23 now. So, we could make a Pre Master league.

Candidate Master: (2350-2450) - Master League: (2450-2600) - Grand Master League: (2600+)

Obviously, designers should make an animation showed after each rated game with an experience bar with rating, that is filled or emtied acording if you win or lose. At the left with the current                      league, and at the right with the upper league. I don't know if you understand what i mean.

Your rank could be displayed with an insignia.

Spoiler

3) Giving some insignias: Before the nickname of each player, you could have some insignia depending of your rank, i thought in having your League's shield until you're Master or Grand                              Master, that you would have a yellow RM (Rating Master) or a GM (Grand Master).

For example: GM elexis (2741)    Sorry @elexis haha :)

Maybe titles like GM or RM should stay forever, becouse it's suposed that only 12 players as much would get them in all seasons. Or maybe it should last just the current season and the                           next. Brainstorm guys =D

3) Player Names:

Your rating could be displayed as a rank instead.

Spoiler

we got the conclusion that maybe removing the rating of the players, just showing the insignia and the nickname would be a good          idea and if you click one player, in his profile you can find its own rating. In my opinion i would let the rating too in names.

4) Player's Profiles:

Profile data

Spoiler

What you think about this: When you click in a player, you can see, Name, Rank, League, W/L and the flag of the country. You like the idea?

Greetings.

Stockfish

• Thanks 1

MORE IDEAS:

Creating a Multiplayer Lobby Website (https://lobby.wildfiregames.com)

Suppress spam of ping sound when someone mentions your name too much

Useful information:

Ticket Summary Owner Type Status Priority Milestone
#2543 Allow users to change account password   defect new Should Have Backlog
#4509 Patch ejabberd to allow registration of two accounts before registration_timeout applies   defect new Should Have Backlog
#4609 Chat notification if buddies join games   defect new Nice to Have Backlog
#4710 Save passwords in OS keyring   defect new If Time Permits Backlog
#5634 Rating lobby bot should react to closed SQL connection   defect new Nice to Have Backlog
#2448 Display gameplay statistics from the lobby on a website Josh enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#2449 Store more lobby user statistics into the database.   enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#2489 Lobby subject should be translated.   enhancement new Must Have Backlog
#2516 Expand Rating System   enhancement new Nice to Have Backlog
#3389 Lobby - allow reconnect without returning to the main menu   enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#3739 [PATCH] Lobby - late-observer-join flag   enhancement new Should Have Backlog
#4159 Lobby buddy list   enhancement new Nice to Have Backlog
#4203 Implement PubSub (XEP-0060) for GameList, and BoardList   enhancement new Must Have Backlog
#4858 More Buttons With New Options For Lobby Should have to land fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O enhancement assigned Should Have Work In Progress
#4974 Lobby connect on startup fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O enhancement assigned Should Have Work In Progress
#4979 Changing default sort order to buddy in lobby and make more columns sorting possible fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O enhancement assigned Should Have Work In Progress
#5067 Display victory conditions (and probably more settings) in lobby   enhancement new Should Have Backlog
#5344 Lobby server/account UI   enhancement new Nice to Have Backlog
#5347 Lobby chatlog status discovery   enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#4978 Presence Dropdown In Lobby And Auto Away Settable fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O task assigned Should Have Work In Progress

Spoiler

Edited by user1
  • Like 1

1) Lobby changes:

I think that is not a secret that lobby style is too old. Maybe should be changed for something  more ''atractive''

What i propose is to make a big lobby where all players are there chatting or just being, and then 3 sublobbys (maybe more or less depending of the wellness of your ideas)

- Team Games Lobby:      As the name shows, a lobby to play multiplayer games

- Rated 1v1 Lobby:           As the name shows a lobby to play 1v1 rated

- Casual Games Lobby:   As the name shows a lobby to play non rated 1v1s

Ok, let's do here another way, a way where there is a rating in TGs. (We'll talk about this in some time)

In case that there is a possible TGs rating, the Casual Games Lobby would be to play TGs and 1v1s unrated.

I'll let design stuff to you,  think about some ideas and coment them!!

2) Ratting System Changes

Well, probably we all can accord that nowadays there is nothing that makes people play rated games, excepting the own points. Maybe it's not enough, maybe not, is not.

I propose (as i accorded to @user1) to make a new Ratting System to make people play rated games, and to make this game more atractive.

What you think about this:

1)  Making seasons

. Yes, making for example 3 mounths seasons and when season ends, restart the points in new season to the initial ones. I propose to start with 1600 points. 

2) Making a League Mode. This is handed with the first point, and in my opinion is the most atractive point. Why not making Rated Games Lobby a league mode, having a league

depending of your rating. I give you an example:

Wood League: (-1400) - Stone League: (1400-1600) - Bronze League: (1600-1800) - Silver League: (1800-1950) - Golden League: (1950-2100) - Platinun League (2100-2250)

Diamond League: (2250-2350)    /// Here, we would be at 1730 ratting more or less, which is a strong rating. Top 23 now. So, we could make a Pre Master league.

Candidate Master: (2350-2450) - Master League: (2450-2600) - Grand Master League: (2600+)

Obviously, designers should make an animation showed after each rated game with an experience bar with rating, that is filled or emtied acording if you win or lose. At the left with the current                      league, and at the right with the upper league. I don't know if you understand what i mean.

3) Giving some insignias: Before the nickname of each player, you could have some insignia depending of your rank, i thought in having your League's shield until you're Master or Grand                              Master, that you would have a yellow RM (Rating Master) or a GM (Grand Master).

For example: GM elexis (2741)    Sorry @elexis haha :)

Maybe titles like GM or RM should stay forever, becouse it's suposed that only 12 players as much would get them in all seasons. Or maybe it should last just the current season and the                           next. Brainstorm guys =D

3) Player Names:

@user1 told me that he doesn't want to overcharge names, so we got the conclusion that maybe removing the rating of the players, just showing the insignia and the nickname would be a good          idea and if you click one player, in his profile you can find its own rating. In my opinion i would let the rating too in names.

4) Player's Profiles:

What you think about this: When you click in a player, you can see, Name, Rank, League, W/L and the flag of the country. You like the idea?

I have more ideas that will be posted with time. Mates! share your ideas and let's make 0 A.D. bigger!! Let's make a brainstorming.

Greetings.

Stockfish

• Like 4

@Bwana 

I often leave the lobby open between games and find the constant tag-spam quite frustrating. Is it possible to place a limit on the number of names an account can tag in a 10 minute period, or perhaps disable the alert if the same person pings you twice within a 2 minute period. 

@Rahmsauce

I have been enjoying 0. A.D for quite a while (I played it for many years but only recently played under this alias and more actively/consistently in the community).

Previously I have played some open source games among Xonotics, which have an amazing competitive platform for their players.

I am kind of a techie and think it would be a great-to-have thing for 0. A.D as well. I imagine (as a minimum for launch):

- a list of the players and their ranking / statistics such as captured by the Ranking bot

- a list of game stats of previous games (who played with whom)

- a possibility to upload / hyperlink recaps from aforementioned games

There may be more things that are amazing (such as: lobby-preview, queue-for-join, matchmaking) but they are more complicated and outside of the reach what can be done in a simple manner in few hours of work.

I would love such a platform so I can more easily find replays which allows me (and other newcomers) to become better in the game.

I have studied the source code of the lobby and know that is done in XMPP (with custom stanzas). This however is a bit sub-optimal because it would require extensive polling from the lobby server to get accurate stats. I am hoping that there is a way to retrieve a read-only copy of the rating data set somehow (let me know!).

Please give me some feedback on whether this would be appreciated in the 0. A.D community, and if it is, whom I would need to talk to to make it happen!

All the best,

Rahmsauce

I've proposed this already sometime ago:

how about an additional function similar to the buddy or friend-thing that would allow you to mark other players as "notfriends" - the idiot-button, kinda? ...you know, so you can designate players with whom you've had bad experienes like quitting, toxic behavoir etc. I play occasionally and i recognise a lot of aliases, but after a few months it's hard to remember things - like "do i remeber this guy because we had a fun game, or because he was a total @#$% last time?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1