Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 PM, av93 said:

At first, pathfinding and formations should be better. I see a lot of work being done by @wraitii, but I don't know to what extend and with what aim. I miss the dev diaries. (I think are improving the system to thread the pathfinding, among others things, like fixing the gliding units)

The goal is to:

• Make unitMotion easier to change, more consistent, and fix some bugs (such as the long-standing bug that units were gliding at the end of their path, which is now fixed).
  • Make UnitAI, its counterpart, also more consistent
  • Thread the pathfinder

Formations aren't really changed - I think the pathing might benefit from a little cleanup after all this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It would be great if players could customize the specific names of individual entities in games, e.g. name the first centre “Rome”, the second “Veii”, the third “Praeneste”, or their cavalry champions “My Little Pony”, “Unicorn”, “Pegasus”, “Black Beauty”, etc.

[EDIT] Clicking on the specific name field would open a small text window where people can then enter the desired name for that individual entity.

Edited by Nescio
how to
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 6:50 AM, Tristao said:

Hi

I try to download the game but it tells me to uninstall and in the end I go to mod pages (I downloaded mod and start the errors)

Hi, you can try a.) uninstalling the game (either through the start menu or "Add or Remove Programs"), and then b.) delete the "0ad" folder in "Documents\My Games\". Then reinstall the latest (0.0.23b) version.

If that doesn't work, which mod/mods are you downloading?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone thought about implementing some type of mechanic where AI does not initially know where where you are located on the map. I feel like it would make gameplay more interesting if the AI would have to send out expeditionary forces first to try and find your location before sending all out attacks. It gets repetitive getting attacked at roughly the same time each round.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Love what I've seen so far, playing the vanilla version - took the tutorial through complete resource depletion and I have some questions/thoughts: 1) The corral. A corral is literally a pen for keeping animals restrained.  The sheep wander all over... I even tried to put a palisade around the pen and the sheep are able to open the gate and wander free. Also would like a way to automate production numbers... with two in operation I was constantly going back to reorder sheep and ordering them back into the pen. It would also be nice if the slaughterhouse girls didn't forget what they're doing  and would attack the sheep as they appear.  2) The corral doesn't accept food. So you either have to build it next to your town hall or you have to build a farmstead to go with it. 3)  I don't know if it's a bug or not - when a unit goes to the temple for healing (?) he forgets where he came from or what he was doing. 4) A list of hotkeys available in game? 5) Didn't remember if the tutorial covered rotating buildings... that list would have come in handy? 6) Trees close to the edge of the map will not allow harvesting. 7) How about highlighting the coverage area of things like Towers or Town Halls so we can overlap/interlock coverage?

I love how the soldiers can work and the workers can soldier!  Total no-duh idea!  Can't wait to see the finished product! 

• Like 1

1.  Corrals are not implemented yet
  2. Same as 1
  3. It's normal because you task him to the temple hence cancelling previous orders.
  4. https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/HotKeys.
  5. Yeah it does not maybe @Angen new one could.
  6. Happens sometimes any map in mind ?
  7. I believe you can by pressing tab see the range or do you mean something else.

Welcome to the forums. Glad you like the game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darth Bludgeon said:

4) A list of hotkeys available in game?

See Learn to Play/Manual (pre-game) or Menu/Manual (session).

5 hours ago, Darth Bludgeon said:

7) How about highlighting the coverage area of things like Towers or Town Halls so we can overlap/interlock coverage?

See Settings/Options/In-Game: Attack Range Visualization; or press Alt+C (session).

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

I believe you can by pressing tab see the range or do you mean something else.

Tab (session) toggles status bars, not range visualizations.

Edited by Nescio
Tab

• 2 weeks later...

Harder and faster IA. This is just a suggestion for really hard singleplayer IA for have in mind later if possible.

Have any1 of you played Dawn of War - Dark Crusade/Soulstorm? That game in hard mode is pretty much fast and hard but having Ultimate Apocalypse Mod with it makes it X10 times faster and harder just like the name An Apocalypse!.

Recently i was playing one campaing and lost 3 times before capturing the first map enemy city because while i was controling 1 single squadron my enemy had 10 army capturing each outpost and attacking my base simultaneously. Haven't played it for so long time make my brain got tired really quickly due the fast attacking and coordinated waves the IA sent. Compared to 0.A.D. attacking waves wich are kinda obvious from the roster to the timing.

Just a nitpick suggestion for attack waves. I would like to feel my brain struggle having to micro manage each army squadron between the whole map instead of just a single flank entrance, in 0.A.D i could even make a wall hallway full of archers and IA still will go throught it eating the whole trap.

If i ever find myself in trouble again in Dawn of War campaing will post here a little screenshot of the battle so it can be seen from another perspective.

• Like 1

I was trying to get back a little bit to the game because of HMS_Surprise call so i spectate some games. It was good that some settings like capture the relic as well as starting with very low resources are being introduced.

Though my mindset is more focused on more realistic mechanics in SP mode, I found that by spectating an MP game, it’s kind of annoying that because of some of these unrealistic mechanics the game becomes frustrating. 

Take for example, teleporting resources to an ally can really mess up an interesting game. Although every team has each opportunity but the end result is not satisfactory imo. An unsuspecting target can get raided and the outcome of the game is already decided early on. 

I think if this game wants to be recognized by lot of gamers it has to have its own identity, a very unique and realistic mechanics. 

As I was playing Dawn  of Man and already spent almost close to 1.6k hours, my mind is murmuring, if 0ad arts and other things are incorporated on this game, it’s going to be really the best game for decades.

I don’t think more player’s care about playing time or the game should last just 30 mins on average on MP. This game needs to really focus on developing the single player mode with unique and realistic mechanics to really attract the largest numbers of gamers. I don’t think it’s the MP gamers, imo it’s the SP gamers. 

• Like 2

I know it is city building but combat is really possible, by adjusting the villagers health, nutrition, hydration, stamina, rest and spirituality to do a siege on other settlements. Otherwise the maps need some resizing. 

If they can add faction and fix the AI to allow having multiple settlements, it’s be interesting Now it’s not possible because villagers can go back and forth trekking far distances to use multiple structures on each settlement or camp. The AI is too much automated.

The good thing with DoM is that the settlement has lots of activities. Compared to 0ad which is too dry when you establish your base. Waiting for AI to attack and when resources are depleted, the enemy AI stalls. You have to pinch them so that they will attack from time to time. 

If you play to infinity, the most that you can do is getting those undying units to get promoted and just wait. Once you build everything the game is into a standstill. 

In DoM, when there is an attack an automated defense system is established but can manually realign defensive positions by disabling some defense structures. Every year attackers arrive to disrupt your activity. And in some “steam workshop (modded)” scenario, the attackers can increase as you increase your population. And depending on your pc capability your population could grow to infinity until you lag.

But its combat system right now is just tower defense mechanics and quite annoying to beautify your settlement.

The decay of resources is one awesome feature. Every tools, weapons, clothing, shields etc decays. Buildings need maintenance. Towers don’t fire magically, trees regrow, season changes. Villagers and animals are aging. And now dogs accompany hunters. There’s just too many close to realistic features. Once grains and pulses are harvested, the fields are empty. After fish is exhausted, it will take time for them to regenerate. Metals are classified into copper, bronze and iron, then steel. 

What attracts me to 0ad are the arts and historical depictions.. The structures and units are really the best and being  polished with the help of so many historical discussions. The animations are almost done except with the rams, ships,  and walls/towers garrisoning. 

The mechanics imo is so so. There is no unique meta. CS does only little change from other games. The economics and logistical systems are just token. 

Sorry to say this again but I think there is no one in the dev team who has that genius mindset to make this game really great. I know these are voluntary contributors but imo no one lays out a concrete plan as to what direction the game is headed to. Are they really discussing things if they have the best ideas themselves as to what can make the game really good or just whatever comes?

To be fair, even if some of the dev's had really unique mechanics and plans, it would be hard to just get the go ahead to implement them. Because there is always a fair amount of the player base that will be upset if things change a lot. Take Borg's balance mod for example, a lot of devs want it in the base game, however some players don't like it at all.

What about Delenda est, lots of pepole and devs would also like to see it in the base game, but once again other people would get upset. Look at hyrule conquest, it has a lot of unique features, knockback and diversity, but that would once again upset some people if some of it's features were implemented.

There are lots of great ideas and each dev has their own personal vision of what would be great in the game, based of other gmaes they have played or features they want to see in the game. That's one of the reason why quite a few devs have mods of their own or work on mods with different gameplay approaches.

Edited by Rolf Dew
  • Like 2

What I’m at a loss is that a free open source game can’t make multiple codes so that other mods can prosper as to what type of mechanics they want in their mods. Or is there really a shortage of programmers to do such things? Or those contributors are focusing on their own mechanics?

Just for example, “wow” wants a battalion system, can the programmers not do it? Not much spare time to do? Any reason?

Isnt if that each codes are independent to the vanilla that if some modders wants to try and use it, they can?

tbh I don’t know nor understand how games are being developed but only those games (Game developers) for monetary reasons have rights for their own benefits. 

Imo all throughout the years since the game is being developed, the pacing is just to make the game playable and without regards to how to maximize the possibilities of making it distinguished from other games of almost the same genre. 

4 hours ago, smiley said:

If only dev A could submit a proposal and dev B and C test and review it quickly allowing dev A to commit the thing within a reasonable amount of time.

Would require Dev B and C to agree with whatever Dev A has in mind :) (And with each other)

4 minutes ago, Servo said:

ust for example, “wow” wants a battalion system, can the programmers not do it? Not much spare time to do? Any reason?

That would be: 

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D2175

Here the issue is whether we will use it in the main game or not. If we don't, we need to have enough tests to make sure we never break a functionnality we do not use.

5 minutes ago, Servo said:

Isnt if that each codes are independent to the vanilla that if some modders wants to try and use it, they can?

They do and can, but they need to update their version each time the underlying code changes.

7 minutes ago, Servo said:

Imo all throughout the years since the game is being developed, the pacing is just to make the game playable and without regards to how to maximize the possibilities of making it distinguished from other games of almost the same genre. 

I don't really have a simple answer to this.

Just too make sure, are you angry ? Your posts seems to be, but maybe It's just lost in translation.