Is 0ad going to die?

Not that I am very relevant in this discussion (playing only casually against AI), but to me, 0ad is one of the best and most interesting games I have seen AND it has many mods and config options AND it is historically fascinating (I keep learning about about old cultures both from the game and from the this forum) AND, btw., it is free of charge.

Game mechanics and UI may look old fashioned to some, but the user interface of a cardboard chess game is also old fashioned. So what? I don' think this is the point.

It is particularly interesting to nerds like myself to play a game that delivers this level of excellence in historical relation while gameplay is sufficiently complex - and constantly challenged and improved.

Of course, there are bugs and inconsistencies, and the game is not "finished" (but which one is ever? Can you name one that is perfect?). AFAIK, it was never intended to compete with commercial platforms anyway.

And yes, there are also noobs and smurfs and all that in the multiplayer environment - but this is life. Those looking for a clean platform and mates truly and exclusively matching their level might need to pay for this as a service in a "gated community". You don't find this in the wild.

Bottom line: I like it as it is evolving, and I don't think it will die so soon.

Let's tune down the volume a bit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grautvornix said:

Of course, there are bugs and inconsistencies, and the game is not "finished" (but which one is ever? Can you name one that is perfect?). AFAIK, it was never intended to compete with commercial platforms anyway.

I don't know whether that is true (never itnended to compete with commercial platforms).  However, the game competes extremely well with commercial platforms thanks to volunteers like @Stan`, @vladislavbelov, @wowgetoffyourcellphone and others who have been contributing to this project for any length of time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poised said:

I tend to play with people I know, while on the phone to them. Maybe I should make a point of playing a game here and there with randoms as a way of contributing to the game's life.

make a team with your friends, and play team games.

• Like 2