Wijitmaker

Suggestions for 0 A.D.

24 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

We need some kind of animation or notification up at the top that shows the loot being added to the treasury.

Could definitely be improved. lol Maybe inspired by Drogon from Game of Thrones.

• numbers animation simliar to RoN or AoE III.
  • I can draw the head as a Dinosaur lover i can draw some kind Lizards and Dinosauridae speciments.

Something has been working on my mind for some time, mainly because I'm not a big fan of systems based on rock-paper-scissor. The case of the overwhelming advantage of the ranged units in the recent alphas released stresses the difficulty in balancing different type of units while keeping the game history-friendly. I see often people suggesting balancing changes or different gameplay based on historical facts (or according to their understanding of the history). This makes me wonder if this is possible to satisfy people with both historical accuracy and a balanced gameplay with depth and diversity. Ideas like spearman and swordsman having distinctive efficiency against different units are themselves not very historical. Even the idea that the cavalry is the best counter against ranged infantry is itself contradicted by numerous accounts on the battlefields where the later was often used against the former. This is not a mean criticism, most of the RTS falls in these simplifications to ease the gameplay, even the Total War games. This is understandable. Age of Empire 2 has reached a very high level of gameplay mechanics with this system. Even StarCraft 2 has several aspects from rock-paper-scissor systems.

However I wonder if the inclusion of battle formation could be an opportunity to innovate in the gameplay. Historically, the battlefield was unbalanced from a game point of view, mostly filled with infantrymen and this across all continents and across all the time periods. The only exception being the nomads. Therefore why not consider an unbalanced system working around battalions of infantrymen? If the gameplay is unbalanced in purpose in favor of the infantrymen, with the other type of units working as support and counter around them, it could be easier to balance. This is kinda a heretic way to think in RTS games but I throw this idea to encourage further thinking. Even for mods, not only for the vanilla.

To sum it up my mind, winning an encounter could be based on obvious parameters like the quality of the infantrymen and the numbers but also on parameters strongly related to the battle formation. For example, the battalion could gives a bonus to all the units (obviously) but this bonus could varies according to the depth of the formation. Like this players should consider both the width of the formation in comparison with the enemy's formation (because it will impact how much units will hit your unit in the same time) and the depth of the formation because each additional rank will increase the bonus. Clearly this is favoring the numbers of units, so outnumbering strategies will often win. But it could be counter by flanks attacks where each units attacked by enemy's melee units while being on the sides will lose all the bonus from the formation. Which will give an interesting tactical advantage for the cavalry. Moreover, this could also be countered by ranged infantry raining their missile on the infantrymen. Not only to cause damages and kill the units but in decreasing the bonus or even causing malus for the units hit. It could even slow down the movement of the whole formation and slowing their rate of attack (DPS). It could also be counter by forcing the player to split his army and to use clever strategies to destroy quickly the army with a smaller force, see this. In my mind, the ranged units and the cavalry should work as support and counter against each other to weaken the enemy main forces (which is the infantry). For the moment, I do not know how it could include the champions cleaverly but I wanted to share my thoughts. This is could be tested in a mod maybe.

Edited by Genava55
Changed the video in the link, put a better one
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

At first, pathfinding and formations should be better. I see a lot of work being done by @wraitii, but I don't know to what extend and with what aim. I miss the dev diaries. (I think are improving the system to thread the pathfinding, among others things, like fixing the gliding units)

• Like 3

On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 PM, av93 said:

At first, pathfinding and formations should be better. I see a lot of work being done by @wraitii, but I don't know to what extend and with what aim. I miss the dev diaries. (I think are improving the system to thread the pathfinding, among others things, like fixing the gliding units)

The goal is to:

• Make unitMotion easier to change, more consistent, and fix some bugs (such as the long-standing bug that units were gliding at the end of their path, which is now fixed).
  • Make UnitAI, its counterpart, also more consistent
  • Thread the pathfinder

Formations aren't really changed - I think the pathing might benefit from a little cleanup after all this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It would be great if players could customize the specific names of individual entities in games, e.g. name the first centre “Rome”, the second “Veii”, the third “Praeneste”, or their cavalry champions “My Little Pony”, “Unicorn”, “Pegasus”, “Black Beauty”, etc.

[EDIT] Clicking on the specific name field would open a small text window where people can then enter the desired name for that individual entity.

Edited by Nescio
how to
  • Like 3

Hi

I try to download the game but it tells me to uninstall and in the end I go to mod pages (I downloaded mod and start the errors)

On 7/18/2019 at 6:50 AM, Tristao said:

Hi

I try to download the game but it tells me to uninstall and in the end I go to mod pages (I downloaded mod and start the errors)

Hi, you can try a.) uninstalling the game (either through the start menu or "Add or Remove Programs"), and then b.) delete the "0ad" folder in "Documents\My Games\". Then reinstall the latest (0.0.23b) version.

If that doesn't work, which mod/mods are you downloading?

Has anyone thought about implementing some type of mechanic where AI does not initially know where where you are located on the map. I feel like it would make gameplay more interesting if the AI would have to send out expeditionary forces first to try and find your location before sending all out attacks. It gets repetitive getting attacked at roughly the same time each round.

• Like 3

Love what I've seen so far, playing the vanilla version - took the tutorial through complete resource depletion and I have some questions/thoughts: 1) The corral. A corral is literally a pen for keeping animals restrained.  The sheep wander all over... I even tried to put a palisade around the pen and the sheep are able to open the gate and wander free. Also would like a way to automate production numbers... with two in operation I was constantly going back to reorder sheep and ordering them back into the pen. It would also be nice if the slaughterhouse girls didn't forget what they're doing  and would attack the sheep as they appear.  2) The corral doesn't accept food. So you either have to build it next to your town hall or you have to build a farmstead to go with it. 3)  I don't know if it's a bug or not - when a unit goes to the temple for healing (?) he forgets where he came from or what he was doing. 4) A list of hotkeys available in game? 5) Didn't remember if the tutorial covered rotating buildings... that list would have come in handy? 6) Trees close to the edge of the map will not allow harvesting. 7) How about highlighting the coverage area of things like Towers or Town Halls so we can overlap/interlock coverage?

I love how the soldiers can work and the workers can soldier!  Total no-duh idea!  Can't wait to see the finished product! 

• Like 1

1.  Corrals are not implemented yet
  2. Same as 1
  3. It's normal because you task him to the temple hence cancelling previous orders.
  4. https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/HotKeys.
  5. Yeah it does not maybe @Angen new one could.
  6. Happens sometimes any map in mind ?
  7. I believe you can by pressing tab see the range or do you mean something else.

Welcome to the forums. Glad you like the game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darth Bludgeon said:

4) A list of hotkeys available in game?

See Learn to Play/Manual (pre-game) or Menu/Manual (session).

5 hours ago, Darth Bludgeon said:

7) How about highlighting the coverage area of things like Towers or Town Halls so we can overlap/interlock coverage?

See Settings/Options/In-Game: Attack Range Visualization; or press Alt+C (session).

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

I believe you can by pressing tab see the range or do you mean something else.

Tab (session) toggles status bars, not range visualizations.

Edited by Nescio
Tab