Alpha 25 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

The behavior regarding treasures has changed quite a bit:

- units will no longer acknowledge the command to collect it; if I right-click on a treasure with a unit selected it will go there and pick it up, but without the acknowledgment I wasn't sure about that

- treasures are no longer reserved when a unit is set to collect it? (No more '0/1' / '1/1' displayed.)

Don't know if that's all intended.

savegame-5207.0adsave

10 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

- units will no longer acknowledge the command to collect it; if I right-click on a treasure with a unit selected it will go there and pick it up, but without the acknowledgment I wasn't sure about that

Good point! I play soundless, so I didn't notice: https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4180.

10 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

- treasures are no longer reserved when a unit is set to collect it? (No more '0/1' / '1/1' displayed.)

It is a consequence of not being a resource anymore. So one cannot block a treasure from the other side of the map.

• Like 3

On 21/06/2021 at 5:13 AM, Mr.lie said:

Hi everyone,

today i want to give some feedback for A25 (i'm using svn-version 25807):

1. i found an unusual behavior related to one group (20 male citizen, 2 swordsman, 2 spearman). As you can see in the video, i selected the group (#7) and order to go. the 20 citizen take the shortest way, while the other 4 take an unusual way.

(...more on original post)

Greetings,

Re: 1.  Observed from the video with the below reasons, "the 4" walked a longer path. This happens normally (though i guess subjectively normal, or abnormal ) when area is filled with blocking objects(i.e. many walls/palisades/narrowly passable terrain/player(atker/defender) units). It is a common mechanic to defend against rams/elephants, forcing attackers to pathfind the long way, or even make them circle, with buildings/units/terrain as blockers.

• "the other 4" has a different formation than "the 20."
  • The bottle-neck is on an incline, with a certain traversal width, and subjectively a high angle of departure with the objects, limiting the bandwidth, and eliminates a passable route.
  • "the 4" group's path is separate from "the 20", calculated on a different frame(?), the shorter path is path-able for "the 20" and impossible for "the 4".
  • they both eventually arrive at the destination

Regards,

Edited by PrincipalityOfZeon
clarity

I put the "like" here, because I really very much appreciate what all developers/ contributors do for 0 A.D. You rock - and deserve holidays/ staycation/ or just a break (besides the usual real life) as everybody. So relax and stay well! :)

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't know if it's been reported already, but attack-move doesn't work correctly for groups of units. Only one soldier out of the group will attack the enemy, while the rest of the group continues to the destination.

@wraitii

alt command bug ?

10 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't know if it's been reported already, but attack-move doesn't work correctly for groups of units. Only one soldier out of the group will attack the enemy, while the rest of the group continues to the destination.

When using formations?

• Like 1

Yes. 

I guess not particularly reported or not reported. Fancy orders don't really work that well with formations (gathering is pretty broken, too, compared to regular units, and I'm sure many others). Not going to be fixed for A25 anyways.

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think it makes plain to you what has always happened, in that if you have to retask a trade route, the dollar amount is always reset anyway. 

Yes, retasking a trade route always has always reset the dollar amount; telling a trader to step aside (eg to get a plaster applied), has not deleted their cargo and have them forget what route they were working in earlier alphas.

savegame-5232.0adsave

7 hours ago, wraitii said:

I guess not particularly reported or not reported. Fancy orders don't really work that well with formations (gathering is pretty broken, too, compared to regular units, and I'm sure many others).

Attack-Move had worked previously with formations, I am quite sure.

Capturing with formations is also bugged. Sometimes they just stand there. As you indicated, gathering is bugged too. None of this was bugged in A23 was it?

Just be prepared for the complaints after release, as none of this behavior will be expected by players. :) I personally don't much mind, since I play svn and get fixes right away.

I think it makes plain to you what has always happened, in that if you have to retask a trade route, the dollar amount is always reset anyway. 

Should be able to just say get back to work for them to resume their routes with their res. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

None of this was bugged in A23 was it?
Just be prepared for the complaints after release, as none of this behavior will be expected by players. :) I personally don't much mind, since I play svn and get fixes right away.

Maybe, maybe not, but it was bugged in A24. The default settings are that those orders aren't executed in formation, so most players will probably not notice.

Erm, please forgive me my absolute ignorance about the technical background of programming and building, but I have this (dumb) question: Is it possible that certain fixes are applied without a (noob like me) user's need to build from svn?

13 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Erm, please forgive me my absolute ignorance about the technical background of programming and building, but I have this (dumb) question: Is it possible that certain fixes are applied without a (noob like me) user's need to build from svn?

yes definitively, as long as you only want to change javascript / strings / unit stats ect. In these cases you can make patches based on the svn autobuild and there is no need to build yourself.

When you want to change c++ code or anything that is related to how the engine works, then you probably want to rebuild, to actually test what you are doing.

• Like 1