Alpha 25 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

@Stan`

Well, I wondered how I could easily identify open issues to have a closer look at and to get going to understand how 0 A.D. is developed etc. Since I have only very basic programming skills from the 80s and 90s (:blush:), I could maybe at least help with "simpler" stuff like e.g. tweaking variables and the like (I hope to get this right and think that your link was indeed pointing me in the right direction).

See my questions there:

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/5680#comment:6

EDIT:

@Yekaterina

You asked me for support about some .dae files (and I had no clue what they are about):

Is it related to speed of movement etc.? (I just read actors, hence my question)

Oh, sorry for getting OT here!

Edited by Ceres

53 minutes ago, Ceres said:

How can I use an unzipped public.zip to tweak some files and see the effect - in the game or in the editor (I would prefer the latter)? E.g. I would like to see if I can adjust the camel's walking speed/sync with its animation.

that works. Extract it and delete the original. You might need to restart the game a few times but when it runs stabily that is when you can start making changes. 

I recommend just tweaking the damage values slightly in the template xml files to begin with, so that you don't break something and confuse yourself. That was how I started. 

Note that once you tweak your xml files you can't play in the lobby anymore; you will always get an OOS error because the templates between you and your opponent are different. Therefore I recommend preparing to reinstall the game before starting this. 

• Like 1

If you make mods then that will not affect the basic functionality of the game and therefore you will not get OOS errors as soon as you disable your mod. The files in your mod folder should have an identical hierachy to the public mod, and the game will prioritise reading from your mod folder instead of public mod. The game only searches for the necessary files in public if it can't find the correct files in your mod folder. 

• Like 1

i have only recently started playing so not many games under my belt but i installed a25 and one thing that i'm noticing, idk if its just me but it seems like when i tell a group of melee and ranged units in "aggressive" mode to attack something like a building, once the building is captured or falls the melees will chase to the next unit/building and continue but majority of the ranged units i guess can only see as far as their attack range in a25? so they often become idle after each target falls which i don't know if it's intentional or also if it's something i've caused without realizing. i just play skirmishes against ai if that matters. also i've started purposely not researching anything that gives my ranged units increases in their range just so i don't have to micromanage as much.

hope this helps or if there's some wisdom to bestow upon me. thanks! 

a25 is performing way better for me too in terms of fps. very nice.

Couldn't wait for full release, so for the first time I've downloaded latest RC and granted only played a bit, but it seems to run better! Framerate seems to be more consistent and stable. Tonight I'll see how it runs with much more units and AI players.

Can't wait to see full Alpha v25.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Stan` we need to update the wiki a bit

for building svn in Arch Linux, you need to install the following wx packages for the atlas editor to work (from the AUR)

• wxgtk2
  • wxgtk3
  • wxgtk-common

Then during the compile process, the update-workspace command should look like this:

./update-workspaces --enable-atlas -j13

The extra --enable-atlas option is needed on Arch because by default they assume you do not want Atlas. This has not been an issue on fedora. 

When I compiled it again the Atlas launched with the gtk2 theme, which I have set to Breeze (from KDE Plasma)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Didn't the round CCs finally get indicators in a24 when produced units get garrisoned within it? (Kinda like in the right part of the pic.) Or should I put that on my wish list for the next version(s)?

The issue is known:

• #1045 - Rally point flags are hidden inside of large obstacles (16/Dec/11)

The flag exists, but is hidden inside the building. 

Unrestricted_camera.thumb.jpg.61c51a66fbb0e0177f24b72f9454ffd4.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Yekaterina I think it's a bad diagnostic. The problem lies in the fact gtk3 has wx-config-gtk3 executable and no longer a wxconfig executable like gtk2 did. This can be overriden by passing WX_CONFIG=wxconfig-gtk3 or something to update workspaces.sh (in theory you shouldn't need gtk2 at all) You shouldn't need to pass enable atlas. Not sure it's even a flag so I'll take your word for it.