Alpha 25 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

30 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Conquest is kill all "ConquestCritical" units and buildings. ConquestCritical units and buildings are essentially those that can attack and thus alter the course of the game.

Should probably change--if a player has a lot of priests those could be very helpful in certain TGs. 

7 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

Should probably change--if a player has a lot of priests those could be very helpful in certain TGs. 

That was my immediate thought as well, that priests can still affect a team game. But let's be honest, how many priests would it take to actually affect a team game? Then again, you could also ask how many spearmen does it take to affect a team game? It's certainly a rabbit hole one could dive into, but at the end of the day a line has to be drawn somewhere. I would make priests ConquestCritical though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

That was my immediate thought as well, that priests can still affect a team game. But let's be honest, how many priests would it take to actually affect a team game? Then again, you could also ask how many spearmen does it take to affect a team game? It's certainly a rabbit hole one could dive into, but at the end of the day a line has to be drawn somewhere. I would make priests ConquestCritical though.

I've seen games where a player is essentially dead but for 10-20 level-3 priests that greatly helps the "dead" players' allies. This typically occurs in long games where players run out of wood, but food remains plentiful. But to your point, it is very rare. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gurken Khan said:

But if they're technically dead by conquest they at least shouldn't have a temple to train new healers, right?

Bigger issue would be houses/pop cap. I think I have seen it only happen a few times before, and in those games the player was unable to help their teammates in any way except for a relatively large force of leveled up healers. Because all players at this point were unable to sustain large armies keeping men alive was very important, which made 20ish leveled up healers very potent.

Edit: My point is: a player shouldn't be defeated when they can still be helpful to a team

The only benefit to not requiring healers to be killed (or for that matter any other unit) is that it makes it easier for players to "officially" win when it is already obvious who has already won. 

Edited by chrstgtr

26 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

@chrstgtr If you can't produce units house/pop cap don't matter either. As I can't think of a way a unit not being able to build or capture bringing up a civ again, I'm fine with healers etc. not counting towards the defeated status.

Why can't we just make it so that healers can capture buildings?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wraitii said:

This was done on purpose

I had no doubt it was done on purpose; I just wanted to roll my eyes to that with ostentation.

12 minutes ago, wraitii said:

but IIRC we had reasons for it

The only 'reason' given there is that you thought it was poor design, without any explanation why. :p

19 hours ago, Dizaka said:

Why can't we just make it so that healers can capture buildings?

(In DE priests can capture buildings)

It at least prevents the phenomenon where if you have a priest in your selection and you tell them all to go capture a building the priest just stands around to get massacred by enemy defensive arrows. If they can capture too, it makes them a part of the action and at least makes the damage worth it.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

@chrstgtr If you can't produce units house/pop cap don't matter either. As I can't think of a way a unit not being able to build or capture bringing up a civ again, I'm fine with healers etc. not counting towards the defeated status.

You can still have a lot of units while having 0 pop cap/production capabilities. 

Just a minor thing (and maybe not appropriate to mention here?):

Can we please keep the possibility to show something with the torch on the minimap also after a game has ended? We always want to point out to each other some exciting spot after the game's end but cannot, because the torch-on-minimap function is then not available anymore.

Should I open an extra thread for this or add it to some kind of "ideas" list for future versions? If yes, can you please indicate where? Thank you! :)

Besides, I would like to express my sincerest thanks to the developers, contributors, people testing, and the community that make this game so wonderful! :thumbsup: We have not experienced any OOS with the latest version (playing with 3 humans and 1 AI on local network/3 PCs).

• Like 1

Is there an unpack-and-run archive or appimage for Linux? I'd like to test but don't wish to make root system changes, for this test I'd prefer a version I can just run as user if possible. Am on Manjaro OS / KDE Plasma: I have the stable release installed by my system packages, don't want to make changes not maintained by the packages otherwise.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

If a game has been stopped by losing connection between the host and others (3 PCs on LAN with 3 human players + 1 AI), the stats (summary) are missing the AI, i.e. they look as if there was never an AI player from the beginning - only the 3 human players are shown.

I know that such a game cannot be continued, but maybe there is something that could be done about the missing stats?

3 minutes ago, Ceres said:

If a game has been stopped by losing connection between the host and others (3 PCs on LAN with 3 human players + 1 AI), the stats (summary) are missing the AI, i.e. they look as if there was never an AI player from the beginning - only the 3 human players are shown.

I know that such a game cannot be continued, but maybe there is something that could be done about the missing stats?

I think it can't for the exact same reason you can't rejoin a game with AI.

• Thanks 1