Campaign: Macedonia - Rise to Power + Balkan Campaign + Into Asia

Hi everyone,

I am happy to present a 5-part campaign titled "Macedonia: Rise to Power"! The campaign covers the times of Philip II and ends shortly before Alexander the Great gains control of the kingdom. Some screen shots are included later in this post. The scenario files for A23 can be found here:;

https://github.com/SciGuy42/Macedonia_0ad

For A25, conversion is still underway. The first 5 missions have been converted and can be found on the a25 branch of the github:

https://github.com/SciGuy42/Macedonia_0ad/tree/a25

To install, you must download all files from the maps/scenarios/ folder in the repository and place them in the /maps/scenarios folder where your custom scenarios built with atlas are saved at by default. On Linux, this should be at /home/<user>/.local/share/0ad/mods/user/maps/scenarios. Note that for A25, you also have to put the Trigger.js file from the repository into your custom mod folder.

Most of the scenarios rely heavily on scripts so make sure to also download the .js files which also go in the maps/scenarios folder containing your scenarios. The scenarios feature more or less typical build and conquer mission, as well as sieges and battles without much building involved. Make sure to read the text in the description of each mission before you play it. Often, there are intelligence reports that can be quite useful. In many cases, there are multiple ways to approach the mission strategically. The AI should be set to Petra, I recommend Medium or Hard difficulty with Balanced option. It's totally fine to play it on easier difficulties as well, especially on the first try. Hope you enjoy!

I am definitely looking for feedback -- there may certainly be some bugs or inconsistencies or issues -- please make note and post! I am looking to do a round of updates in about 2 weeks but need to take a break now. If my wife hears the opening music of the game one more time, I'm in trouble :)

UPDATE Nov 2021:

- The campaign is now complete with 45 missions, starting with Phillip's rise to power and ending with Alexander's death. Conversion to a25 from a23 is currently underway.

UPDATE Oct 2 2020:

- Added Missions 16 and 17, covering Alexander's conquest of Tyre. Also made small changes to some scenarios based on feedback from the users.

UPDATE July 27 2020:

- Added Missions 11-15 covering Alexander's conquest of Asia Minor

UPDATE June 19 2020:

- fixed some of the winning conditions bugs that were reported

- added support for difficulty levels -- switching the AI between Medium, Hard, and Very Hard will now often result in effects beyond gather rate (e.g., more troops garrisoned in enemy towers, better starting teach for enemy, etc.)

- Enemy units that spawn and attack now usually march in formation

- Added wall towers to fortified cities and settlements

I will shortly be posting the next set of five missions. Thanks for all the comments and private messages.

And here are some screen shots:

Screenshot%20from%202020-06-05%2000-41-5

Screenshot%20from%202020-06-05%2000-43-3

Screenshot%20from%202020-06-05%2000-44-0

test_magnesia.jpg

UPDATE June 25 2020:

Added the next set of 5 missions, comprising Alexander's Balkan Campaign. Features a naval map, new scripts and triggers, and another siege. Enjoy!

Some screenshots (minor spoilers):

Mac_6.thumb.jpg.c4bf2183c9bbcc0d55025644745bbaf5.jpg

Mac_9.thumb.jpg.03d8fed021048dd5c3c4dd456ba2793a.jpg

Mac_10.thumb.jpg.a69485ec34918f03ead1ee134e9d1e38.jpg

Some screen shots from missions 11-15:

screen4.thumb.jpg.22343a83cc0fad1f663c4658f462bd7d.jpg

screen3.thumb.jpg.0103c5ab30dbda4e32771b4d26b4e41c.jpg

screen1.thumb.jpg.cdf4dfcb624cad2ba98f93f454657cff.jpg

screen2.thumb.jpg.da75fbb90bd063cc93dadb9eedeba858.jpg

Shots from 16 and 17, the conquest of Tyre:

a_bridge_Too_far.thumb.jpg.a835b4626b9b4a5ba5b7f097228c5f1c.jpg

tyre.thumb.jpg.faeca06c2cc525f860b1440ac7cfb277.jpg

Edited by SciGuy42
clarified instructions on AI difficulty; updated gitthub link
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the suggestion -- without giving out too many spoilers, it probably won't matter in this mission. But I'll make a note for the next set of updates. Any other way to make the walls rebuildable without placing a tower that can be garrisoned?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 11:19 PM, SciGuy42 said:

Any other way to make the walls rebuildable without placing a tower that can be garrisoned?

No, towers need to be there. You would need to edit simulation/templates/template_structure_defensive_wall_tower.xml and remove GarrisonHolder tag from the file and also from any *_wall_tower.xml inside structures folder. 
But that will apply to any map you would play with this mod.

57 minutes ago, Freagarach said:

You could instead make another wall tower template that does not have the garrison tag. That way you can still have them in your campaign (ungarrisonable) and vanilla is not affected.

Maybe a template filter?

On 6/18/2020 at 6:24 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Is compatible with SVN  a24?

Not sure. It is compatible with the 0ad version available on Ubuntu. Assuming the scripting API is backwards compatible, it should potentially work with newer versions but that may be just an assumption.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SciGuy42 said:

Not sure. It is compatible with the 0ad version available on Ubuntu. Assuming the scripting API is backwards compatible, it should potentially work with newer versions but that may be just an assumption.

It is possible to open the maps in Alfa24, some errors may occur, probably because there are some structures and units modified in this new Alfa. Great maps, really challenging, I believe they deserved a selector in the campaign option.

14 hours ago, Carltonus said:

These maps seem to be needing some visual improvements. Does anyone know how to edit these scenario maps? The Trac article on the Atlas Editor doesn't mention such steps. Hope it doesn't affect the trigger(s).

If you want to make improvements, I would be happy to give you access to the repo, just make a branch. The only thing you should not do is modify unique entities and trigger points. This campaign is heavily based on scripting, so what may appear to be random ruins or something may actually be important.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SciGuy42 said:

If you want to make improvements, I would be happy to give you access to the repo, just make a branch. The only thing you should not do is modify unique entities and trigger points. This campaign is heavily based on scripting, so what may appear to be random ruins or something may actually be important.

I took a look at your .js, really amazing at some point I will have to study them to apply on some personal map (it's the way since I don't know how to program).:rolleyes:

What I mean is, @Stan` and @SciGuy42, are there instructions to open downloaded map(s)? Since I can't do that on a vanilla game and Atlas, which opens the ones on the public .zip folder. Trac doesn't give much.

Not registered to GitHub, and might not want to. Could post the finished product(s) here.

Edited by Carltonus

You don't need to register to github, you can just clone the repository.

`git clone https://github.com/SciGuy42/Macedonia_0ad.git`

Alternatively you can download the current HEAD zip: https://github.com/SciGuy42/Macedonia_0ad/archive/master.zip

If you still want to collaborate without registering, just make your changes, commit and send the diff.

Edited by badosu
  • Thanks 1

The downloaded maps still cannot be opened in Atlas. After clicking open, there is a selection of maps (Skirmish, Scenarios, Tutorials) based on the C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\0 A.D. alpha\binaries\data\mods\public\public.zip folder. How to make it open maps from anywhere?

The Trac article never tells that procedure.

Edited by Carltonus