New Tutorial

Hi,

I am working at new tutorial with attempt to improve it.

I aim to have cleaner and less text for user to read.

To this tutorial I have added Market, trading, bartering, rotation of buildings.

Any military stuff would be in second part of tutorial, this should be only about economy.

Any suggestions, improvements welcome.

@Nescio I would be glad if you could provide review from language perspective.

@Freagarach, @borg- @ValihrAnt @Boudica @Stan` could you please try it and give me feedback?

newTutorial.zip

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Hi, 

I already tried it. It is honestly a great improvement of the original. The instruction is much more compact compared to a wall of text of the original. I also love the way you can minimize the tutorial box when you press OK. I have some suggestion I'd like to share.

• I'm still torn between the interface of this tutorial and the transparent interface of the original. I feel the black background makes it easier to read but it is covering a quarter of my screen. The transparent original is hard to read but doesn't feel as claustrophobic.
  • When the instruction is to batch train Slingers, any other unit seems to be disabled, even training single slinger. I think there should be a notification to tell player if they click the wrong button, like "You just selected a button to Train Woman, please press [Shift] and select Slingers" or "You haven't hold [Shift] button before selecting Slingers, please press [Shift] and select Slingers".
  • Is it possible to have some ways to point a part of the screen to aid the player? Like flashing buttons or arrows to make it clearer. 
  • How about adding some backstory of the tutorial for context? Making it like a mini campaign with historical background, just like its predecessor like Age of Empires series and Empire Earth. I just read up about Spartacus and it seems to be an interesting part of history that can be adapted. Age of Empires II introduction and tutorial can be a good example.
  • Like 2

@Angen had a try, Here are some comments

• Missing title on the objective/help window
  • Might want to elaborate on what is territory (it might be confusing for new players)
  • Some english errors, but that'll be fixed when it's on Phab
  • When asking to get a job to the idle workers, you might point out the hotkey and/or the minimap button
  • Might not need to select *all* your citizen soldiers to build the storehouse, what is the usual amount of units one use in MP
  • I really think we should have a special window for objectives not unlike the diplomacy and

Otherwise it's pretty nice, but still feels like a hard end, I'm sure there are other things that can be added.

• Like 1

I skimmed through it, and I also like the Compactness + Readability that resulted in that Message Box. I still want less words, but I had trouble finding them. It's that good. I'll try doing that next time round.

Two things that bugged me was:

1. The tutorial said I needed 4 Village Structures to tech up to Town Phase. I thought it meant it, so I got confused. Realizing that it was a typo, I ended up building 5 Structures.
  2. I'm not sure if it's an error on my part, but putting 2 markets too close to each other won't work for traders. I think a range mechanic (like the Towers) should be implemented at least in the tutorial.
  • Like 1

Thank you for your work, @Angen! It's a decent start, but there is certainly room for improvement:

• Could you number the instructions? E.g. "Step 1 / x".
  • The red box at the top of the window is empty; why not put something in there? Perhaps the name of that step?
  • Sometimes there is so much text in the window you have to scroll. Why not make the vertical size dynamic to avoid that?
  • For the actual objectives, please replace the hyphen-minus with a bullet (copy-paste •), capitalize the first word, and end with a full stop. E.g. "• Order 1 Female Citizen to pick fruit.\n" instead of "- task woman to collect fruit\n".
  • Not everyone is proficient in English; be precise and try splitting long sentences into multiple shorter, succinct ones.
  • Please follow the English style guide:
    • Use "Structure", not "building"
    • Always capitalize classes (e.g. "Cavalry", not "cavalry")
    • Check for typos, e.g. "comming" [sic], "Excelent" [sic]
  • Check interpunction, articles (is your native tongue a Slavic language?), grammar, etc.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nescio said:
  • Could you number the instructions? E.g. "Step 1 / x".
  • The red box at the top of the window is empty; why not put something in there? Perhaps the name of that step?

This right here would be great. :) 

Also, would you like me to redesign the tutorial map for A24,  @Angen? The current one is ugly and A24 will have some really nice assets I can use to make a very nice map. I can make it have the same berries, trees, mines, units, etc. as the current one, but look soooo much nicer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Angen said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone sure, why not :) could you give somewhere close water with fish so one can place docks, if it would fit into map?

Thank you.

I'll see what I can make tonight with A24. Your request should be fairly simple. :)

The starting conditions will be nearly identical, so as to conform to your current tutorial script as best I can.

• Like 2