Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stan`

Visual feedback for researching

Recommended Posts

To use it one needs to add a new group to the actor file. 

<group>
  <variant frequency="1" name="Idle"/>
  <variant frequency="0" name="researching">
    <props>
      ... extra researching props
    </props>
  </variant>
</group>

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, Ai does not care when attacking if building is producing or researching something. :)

It cares mainly if building has defensive fire or is in range of some of that building. But it does it only for some attack plan types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say go for it, Empires DMW had something similar, except it was all buildings, and it included unit training
at a quick glance it would be helpful for the host player himself to know whether or not a building is idle, as well as enemy scouting. that would add an interesting facet to the gameplay

Scouting with this mechanic would be even more interesting with split functionality barracks.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LordGood said:

I say go for it, Empires DMW had something similar, except it was all buildings, and it included unit training
at a quick glance it would be helpful for the host player himself to know whether or not a building is idle, as well as enemy scouting. that would add an interesting facet to the gameplay

Scouting with this mechanic would be even more interesting with split functionality barracks.

Any idea on what could be done for other buildings? Blacksmith was the easiest (hence the example) but the other I have no idea :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stan` said:

To use it one needs to add a new group to the actor file. 


<group>
  <variant frequency="1" name="Idle"/>
  <variant frequency="0" name="researching">
    <props>
      ... extra researching props
    </props>
  </variant>
</group>

 

@Stan` Where do I put this code?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nescio said:

How about a production/research/training status bar, similar to the pack/unpack bar of artillery?

You already have it on the screen ?

9 minutes ago, gameboy said:

@Stan` Where do I put this code?

In every actor file :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Any idea on what could be done for other buildings? Blacksmith was the easiest (hence the example) but the other I have no idea :/

Trainees in the courtyard with training animations, stone and woodworking prop actors at the storehouses and workshops, all manner of things to make the building look used

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LordGood said:

Trainees in the courtyard with training animations, stone and woodworking prop actors at the storehouses and workshops, all manner of things to make the building look used

Currently it's only for researching for trainees I'd have to write another patch... 

Wouldn't the storehouses look weird without props when not researching?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LordGood said:

I mean animated masons and carpenters

I'd like that as well and I have some nice references but I almost convinced Alexandermb to work on animals :P

@Nescio: the progress bar icon on the top right corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can see which technologies are being research (globally), but you can't see which structures are researching or training something. This thread is about adding animations so you can see if a structure is busy. Simply adding a production status bar would serve the same purpose, be possibly clearer, and would work for all entities without having to add animations for every actor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like building animations, and I don't think it's revealing too much, actually, in real life, you can see when a building is working or not.

Anyway, eventually, maybe the code could be updated to just show the animation to the player and its allies, hiding it to enemies?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Why would you prefer another status bar to a beautiful animation though?

I think Nescio is a practical man that likes practical things (No offense meant)

image.png

5 minutes ago, fabio said:

Anyway, eventually, maybe the code could be updated to just show the animation to the player and its allies, hiding it to enemies?

Having player dependant cmpVisual sounds complicated :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...