Ideas for New Civilizations [Core Game]

Intellect

5 minutes ago, m7600 said:

The current game doesn't have civs? My screenshots are from Alpha 23. Againt I must ask: what are you talking about, and what exactly are you trying to argue here? Do you need more proof that both terms, civ and faction, are used interchangeably up until this day, not only in the game, but also on these forums? Must I direct you to the many thread topics that begin with "civ:", such as "civ: Germans (Suebians and Goths)"?

We never change that , that I'm talking about.

Civs are were we start making factions. Simply.

Examples.

image.thumb.png.af78600c75db0796adaf2b2834af3d7f.png

image.thumb.png.1872bc3e814999f6c1a02fd95c00c4bb.png

image.thumb.png.fd82322685d44cbd89a3caa6c5b5444c.png

image.thumb.png.d43c500c050f7ef68160d2a1d172bace.png

image.thumb.png.5449e9d35840dc7f553b114822b3a1a0.png

image.thumb.png.e0b17057d14ba2a86c12a2bbfee438c1.png

image.thumb.png.db3cc33a03ec03e51c1b1a4f3b229a7c.png

• Like 1

This is simple, when you are new, you don't know many details about the game.

When I asked this same question from my own ignorance, (I wasn't born knowing everything).

Kindly Mythos_ruler (or was Feneur) answered that it was factions. I guess you must know who he is.

Is only a little term that we use. Nothing personal. Im even sure why you are mad with me. My ignorance i guess.

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It's true that "civ" or "civilization" (Greeks) is a broader term than faction (Athenians). But we tend to use them interchangeably here. :) 

Yes , the game is some kind of little Total war mix with huge of AoE formula.

Thats why TW uses term faction. And some point around 2012 we started use faction to split civilizations.

Hi guys,

I just arrived and started playing, so my opinion might not matter that much, but regarding Voodoo/Hoodoo, it would be a complete anachronism. Voodoo rituals are a particular syncretism of African religions and Christian faith, and its development is rather recent (certainly not from the time period used IG anyway). I'm not saying an African civilisation would be a bad idea, just wanted to express my concerns about the name some people wanted to use.

*flies away*

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tinour said:

I just arrived and started playing, so my opinion might not matter that much, but regarding Voodoo/Hoodoo, it would be a complete anachronism. Voodoo rituals are a particular syncretism of African religions and Christian faith, and its development is rather recent (certainly not from the time period used IG anyway).

Correct, the original traditional African religion from Benin, Togo, Nigeria and Ghana would be called Vodun and is quite different from New World Voodoo, although the latter definitely takes inspiration from the former, Voodoo also takes inspiration from Christianity, as stated by Tinour (Welcome to the forum, by the way). 

• 1 year later...
On 12/05/2020 at 5:19 AM, Intellect said:

Also, I am curious as to why the Terra Magna update did not get added to the core game? What's missing that needs to be added for the Zapotecs and Xiongu?

Hi, I am making terra magna compatible for A25 right now. However, there are a few problems, especially with the gui javascripts. 

Currently, our solution is to pull out the civs individually and make a separate mod for each. I have restored the Xiongnu, Stan has done some good work on the Chinese and I believe Lion.Kanzen has Zapotecs sorted to some extent. I made a forum thread just to talk about restoring mods: https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/40034-project-migrate-a23-mods-to-a24-and-a25/?tab=comments#comment-428346

Here are the Github links to the mods:

Xiongnu: https://github.com/Yekaterina999/xiongnu

Han China: https://github.com/0ADMods/han_china

On 31/05/2020 at 6:29 PM, Omiris said:

Dacians will be great. Burebista , Deceneu and Decebalus as heros. Gold production bonus , fearless warriors and the god Zalmoxis must be there. Hope there is place for dacians in new release, i will be very happy.

I can work on that. I will borrow Greek and Roman buildings until you or someone supplies me with better models. 

On 12/05/2020 at 8:34 AM, Paruru Slowlegs said:

Speaking of ideas... How about trapper-units and eagle-hunters (land-air unit to raid peasants and hunt)?

Hide contents

883c621a5dc553dc460337cd34073183.jpg

0 A.D. would finally use 3-rd space - air.

I like the air strike idea. Will make a mod including such a unit for Gauls. If you can give me some more details that would be better. We don't have an air strike unit yet, and birds/eagles could have been used in battle in one way or another. 

On 12/05/2020 at 9:58 AM, Stan` said:

Did you ever play the Xiongnu?

I have, but I can't play very well. The nomadic style makes booming very awkward; you must rush at all times and continuously rush, while just scattering buildings all across the map to exploit resources. You must go heavy on cav.

17 minutes ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

And pontus and the bosphorus kingdom

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Syracusans or Pergamenes or Rhodians would be cool.

5 hours ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

Hey how about we add more greeks?

Dear historians @Genava55 @Ultimate Aurelian @Thorfinn the Shallow Minded what do you think about adding this civs? Can you suggest any unit rosters, structure tree and heroes, as well as bonuses? Can these civs be merged into one big civ? 

Do we have too many Greeks? Perhaps we should look elsewhere: Olmecs, Aksum, Koreans, Japanese, Funan (modern day Cambodia + Thailand + Vietnam)? 

Edited by Yekaterina

10 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Dear historians @Genava55 @Ultimate Aurelian @Thorfinn the Shallow Minded what do you think about adding this civs? Can you suggest any unit rosters, structure tree and heroes, as well as bonuses? Can these civs be merged into one big civ? 

It would be theoretically possible.  The point would be considering which nations could have distinctive identities; merely because there were cultural similarities from one civilisation to another does not mean that introducing them to the game would be impossible.  Personally I would find more pseudo-greek cultures to help round out the map to be reasonable additions.  Areas such as Illyria and Thrace come to mind.  

Pergamum would perhaps be a favourite of mine since it was a prominent regional power by its own right.  There are other, more extreme approaches that could be done however...

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/27864-april-update/

• Like 1