Technology Portraits (2019 and beyond)

wowgetoffyourcellphone

Made a new tech portrait, free to use by core game and/or mods. Topic can be used for folks to post any new tech portraits they make or find (cc0 or cc-by-sa).

Trade_Routes (made by me, from 0ad assets)

trade_routes.png

Geometric_Masonry (made by me)

masonry_geometric.png.b8e3da0b5ac7866a933fb07ce15f4f64.png

Aqueducts (fixed by me to have the standard background)

aqueducts.png.8feea92749350acd971a86b25256ca39.png

"mace_argyraspides" (combine some 0ad icons)

mace_argyraspides.png.e494fefa312ef4e93e5c0798b61f6edc.png

Immortals (from 0 ad concept art)

immortals.png.c99a317e7ed80a960694429fa79fc6ae.png

Falcata (made by me)

falcata.png.f2e601d486c4ca5c0c17da196c5ff94d.png

Feminine_Mystique (from 0ad concept art)

feminine_mystique.png.d1ecd65a405d82a839ff07217b2c12ac.png

Diaspora (background fixed by me)

diaspora.png.0717298d9e5b7f7973f29fbe1c6909a5.png

Some Elephant tech portraits, from 0ad concept art

elephant_mahout.png.9fa2ca74f261eca1d72ca1cabb0d5256.pngelephant_tower.png.e08702c2023c2a36c183e24d43a83459.png

Mining_Pickax (from 0ad assets)

mining_pickax.png.f38282c7e46b1fe1bfdafa159839e18f.png

Monumental_Architecture (from 0ad concept art)

monumental_architecture.png.d8814cfedf7c295e1c4fb44ee7bc3e0c.png

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

All of these are done very well.  One criticism I have is for the Falcata.  The proportion of the blade length to the hilt makes it seem more like a hunting knife than a sword.  The reproduction I have seen are generally much longer than what you have.  That said, I am no expert on the subject and if you have any good reference for why you made it so short I would appreciate it.  Even that issue is quite minor; again excellent work.

4 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

All of these are done very well.  One criticism I have is for the Falcata.  The proportion of the blade length to the hilt makes it seem more like a hunting knife than a sword.  The reproduction I have seen are generally much longer than what you have.  That said, I am no expert on the subject and if you have any good reference for why you made it so short I would appreciate it.  Even that issue is quite minor; again excellent work.

Well, I'm not an archaeologist either, but it was certainly not a hunting knife; the Iberian falcata is basically equivalent with a Greek makhaira; here's an original:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/Falcata_ibera_%28M.A.N._2003-114-51%29_01b.jpg

(Description says 4th C BC, length 53.1 cm (20.9″).)

23 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

Well, I get the comments, okay, hmm.... okay, I give 100/100 points for the set.

Btw. do we have an extant pickaxe from the period @wowgetoffyourcellphone ? Thanks for great effort as always.

A real pickax from the era would have a straighter head on it, I think. But this icon gets the point across (and was taken from the storehouse icon).

28 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

To be annoying here are some pickaxes from antiquity - indeed I think the pickaxe above looks too modern, because it is too "pretty" and smooth. Just trying to help, maybe we can get the point across and also get a little closer to reality. I can tell you if I had to send ten thousand slaves into a mountain mine, I would choose this model of pickaxe for them:

mines.jpg.2203e28dcf480001387ed4c2989b9c53.jpg

Here ya go! https://www.gimp.org/ :) 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

It is fantastic how what seems to be half of the community of this forum, including @Nescio and several others, are really interested in just starting quarrels just for the sake of it. It is as if you do not want help, at all! I am now going to record Greek for the other thread, but I am going to force the other ones to do the same. I want to expose the incompetence of these so-called experts, once and for all. I am tired of presenting polite arguments that are not met with serious responses, and I invite the admins of this forum to follow this closely. Skill will stand, and ignorance will embarass itself and hopefully lead to the end of these preposterous episodes. I am met with stubborn people who would like to be right, and not any rational arguments or proofs of correctness. No more, gentlemen!

you are a great artist of Hellenistic culture, with a knowledge that goes beyond the limits. and as I read in your cover letter you come from a prestigious art university.

I conclude by speculating that you were taught the basics.
take a pencil and paper and at least doodle.

@Anaxandridas ho Skandiates As I said in the other thread, this is a misunderstanding. I never meant to question your expertise in Ancient Greek at all, and I am sorry that you understood it that way. All I wanted to do over there is to point out that the IPA is a very useful tool that's far superior to any attempt at describing sounds that don't exist in the English language using English spelling. I believe that trying to do so would be a waste of your very valuable time.

Your expertise is very much appreciated and recognized. All I wanted was to point you to a tool that will make it easier to communicate that expertise to us.

Edited by GunChleoc
  • Like 1

Quite frankly, I think the current icon of a pick axe is close enough to the Roman Dolabra, which was, among other things, used for mining and was part of the legionary's kit used for digging trenches and such. The current icon is clear and unambiguous.  

Spoiler

1485785038_2560px-Dolabra_de_Besomao.thumb.jpg.7f067049b717dee68b8234fef9d9f1e8.jpgDkPy5mUWwAAfmPJ.jpg.87ce53f89f6fa04a77c01c95ef293e4f.jpgHarzhorn_Original_Dolabra_in_Folie_mit_Stickstoff.thumb.jpg.33b13e6a1c7188085343e8f3c8c9360c.jpg5965bb4aa97af_Dolabradimentions.thumb.jpg.7021df24ef5ebb1d43c1e25792ad8513.jpg.2537c6cfdd64464b17b01f557f2a15c3.jpg

@Anaxandridas ho Skandiates Useful contributions to the game are always welcome, but you seem to have some difficulty grasping a few things. First of, we are all volunteers, and individuals will pretty much work on what they want to work. Especially if they're not team members. Nobody is paying anyone's bills here. There's a million and one things the team members are pre-occupied with, and they're horribly short-staffed as well. Wow is the main developer of Delenda Est, a total conversion mod, and is dealing with a plate full himself. I honestly chuckled at his response, but it's no less a genuine suggestion. People are drowning in work as it is. The pick-axe isn't a priority (it's not even wrong). But nobody is stopping you from making your own version if you want to. 

If you're an Antiquity expert, you should relish in the opportunity of educating us plebs, but some of your responses to quite a number of individuals who simply asked questions or sources have been nothing less than arrogant, and you become borderline belligerent and unnecessarily personal in some of your posts as well.

I'm not attacking your expertise, but it's a bit difficult to take an anonymous person serious when their response to anyone who questions them is basically: "who is the expert here? Huh? You or me?" And when confronted with conflicting views from other (non-anonymous) experts, you just dismiss them. In another discussion, Lion.Kanzen warned you that you will be ignored if you insist on being like that. It's up to you, if you want to prove him right or not.

I'm honestly curious about your modeling work, you clearly know your Greek, and I sincerely hope that you can become/continue to be a valuable contributer to the game. I just hope that you take my words serious, and try to work on your communication skills. There's no need for aggression (active or passive). 

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1