===[COMMITTED]=== Horse Update

Alexandermb

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Also, Xiongu arrows need committed for the nomad variants, apparently. :) 

I apologize, i have forgot those, they weren't supposed to be included in the public unless everyone approves the nomad variant as seen in the xiongnu topic before i didn't wanted to fill the public folder with files that weren't be used.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

I apologize, i have forgot those, they weren't supposed to be included in the public unless everyone approves the nomad variant as seen in the xiongnu topic before i didn't wanted to fill the public folder with files that weren't be used.

Best to just use normal arrows for those variants for now until a nomadic faction is added if folks are worried about such things.

Just important to also look at the animation ingame, not only in blender, when the model is moved with the according ingame speed. (I guess no news here)

On https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_gait we can see speeds of the different movement types. A trot is for 13kmh, but the ingame unit moves much faster, it seems like a fast gallop (up to 50kmh). If we compare the previous model with the new one, we might just figure out exactly what it would need to appear more accurate. I'll test later.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elexis said:

it seems like a fast gallop (up to 50kmh).

we have gallop as the run animation for now.

this is another possible way:

An extremely fast trot has no special name, but in harness racing, the trot of a Standardbred is faster than the gallop of the average non-racehorse.[7] The North American speed record for a racing trot under saddle was measured at 30.25 miles per hour (48.68 km/h)[8]"

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/transcoded/e/ef/Harness_racing_New_Zealand.webm/Harness_racing_New_Zealand.webm.480p.webm

Edited by Alexandermb
  • Like 1

That horse (eight posts up) looks really great! Legs move, tail moves, rider moves, even the cape moves.

One thing could be improved though: right now the horse's head, neck, and body is one solid block, which looks quite static. If it would consist of at least three separate elements which could move independently, the animation would look more natural :)

And perhaps the horse could occassionally look around or graze some grass when idle?

Edited by Nescio
ce

1 hour ago, Alexandermb said:

So i should leave the one we have for now and just tweak the speed or use the trot animations instead? 

How about zip up a mod for the trot like you did before and let us experiment. Just the animation and variant files, not the actors.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

Here's a selection of cavalry portraits, which I have been working on for the past week for @stanislas69, since he did me a solid and modeled a Kushite statue for me.

You can clearly see the color scheme here:

Blue: Citizens

Red: Champions

Green: Mercenaries

Purple: Heroes

athen_cavalry_swordsman.pngbrit_war_dog.pngcart_cavalry_spearman_italian.pngcart_champion_cavalry.pngcart_hero_maharbal_1.pngiber_champion_cavalry.pngmace_champion_cavalry_e.pngmace_hero_alexander.pngmaur_hero_chandragupta.pngpers_cavalry_javelinist.pngpers_champion_cavalry.pngptol_cavalry_spearman.pngrome_cavalry_spearman.pngsele_champion_chariot.pngcart_cavalry_swordsman_2.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

Here is the trot walking animations (didn't make another variant as this is for testing purposes i'll wait for a new name schema if its decided to make a new variants).

Horse_Trot_walk_animations.7z

(Specially look for Alexander cavalry actor, it look goods on him)

I don't think this works right. The horse mesh was already committed as horse.dae, not the work in progress name horse01.dae. :) Same for any possible animation renames. 

EDIT: I fixed it locally and wow, the trot looks awesome. Great job. 

• Thanks 1

@stanislas69 @LordGood

May I suggest that you use these 3 horse actors for the Stable horses. Right now, since you use the same horse actor for all 3 prop horses, the game chooses the same color variation for all 3. If you use these three actors provided then the horses inside the Stables will properly randomize colors. 

horse3.zip