Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Or another option might be to let the player start with the exact ammount of resources he would need to advance. This way it makes the player to take a crucial tactical decision from the very begening. He can either upgrade to the next age and gain tech advantage but become vulnerable to an early rush or he could force push his enemy and with the necesary micro skills even win without any age advancement.

Also a building that expands the teritory would prove usefull. You ca balance it in contrast to the "town center" by not allowing it to train anything ,or at least peasants.Or you could allow the building of resources dropsites outside of the player controled area. This would improve especialy upon lumber harvesting.(I frequently find myself having over 5000 and lumber being the lowest before I advance to the second age). Also might I suggest shrinking the lower selection/action bar as it takes quite alot of the screen even for me at 1366x768 res.

Edited by fakeskins

Hey, another idea... :)

When playing and searching for new ressources to gather, when you look at the map on the bottom left, this is not easy (as it has to be IMO) to see which color corrspond to ressource (animals, stone, gold...)

So what do you think about a filter that permits to show only gold, or only stone or only animals, or two of them, etc... like in gimp when you show only some channels of your picture. I've attached a picture (don't laugh about my gimp skills... :) )

post-15582-0-17810900-1379578072_thumb.p

Edited by Gildas

It will help indeed in scouting for resources and fast economy expanding but i think that at a game like this where resources are scattered on the entire map it can get a bit too clustered. It`s not like you have fixed mining spots that mark where your next expansion should be or certain hunting and foraging spots. Yes the function is indeed good but the only way to implement it in such a game would be to have a function to also turn it off. SO basicly make somthing like 3 minimpa modes: military ,economy and a standard mini map

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure I understood you, but I agree on pathfinder taking priority. Hence posting this in the ideas section. My point is: two athenian players should be able to field formations slightly different, as to cater their way of playing. A rusher would like a faster, harder to flank phalanx, even if it has weaker stopping power than another phalanx. People playing defencivly would rather sacrifice mobility for strength.

I'm kinda drawing this from the Theban reforms that enabled them to reign supreme on the battlefield until someone one-upped them. I have other ideas as well, but in the end I might just mod them in when the game reaches a more stable phase.

Just a small naming point: in this document: http://trac.wildfire.../Civ%3A_Britons I found the following quote concerning fishing ships for the Britons:

Shell: There was two primary kinds of fishing boats used by the Celts, the first was coracle, which was a small semi-circular/concave boat made from wood and leather. The second was the currach, a large (up to 50 feet long) row and sail boat made from wood, band iron, and leather.

Coracle is actually the English pronunciation of the Welsh word for Gaelic currach, so they are the same. This creates problems when translating into Celtic languages. We need two different names, maybe "big coracle" or "long coracle" something for the second boat, and "round coracle" or "small coracle" for the first?

Here are some examples for coracles/curraich:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coracle

http://www.dark-age-boats.co.uk/britishromanboats.php

• 3 weeks later...

I was downloading the game yesterday and noticed it seemed to be a bit slower than I could have downloaded it at. This led me to think that your servers might not be the best in the world (it is f2p after all!) and I thought maybe you would like to know that it would reduce stress on your servers if you had an alternate option to download the game installer as a torrent file. It's pretty easy to set up, but if you guys would like to pursue it and don't know how hmu and I'll get you started!

Thanks,

-Yak

EDIT: It's also 100% free, so no worries there!

Edited by agentyak

I Think that Cathage need some modifications:

* Reduce the cost of "Sacred Bands", as to the embassies, with a tecnology for reduce the cost, on representation of libyo-phoenician units, same armour of carthage units but very cheaper

220px-Sacred_band_footman.PNG220px-Sacred_Band_cavalryman.png

* More units

*Lonchophoroi, with the same appereanc of libyan spearmen but javelinists

220px-Libyan_phoenician_lancer.png

Put Iberian Swordman

220px-Hannibal_spanish_soldier.png

* Macedonian Embassy "for macedonian allies" during 2º punic war!

* Train a new type of elephants, archer elephant, shotts arrows and javelins!, as the mauryan ranged elephant!

220px-Zama.jpg

* Phoenician Chariots: Many phoenician war charios were found in iberian peninsula, and carthage used this units many times!

220px-Carthaginian_chariot.png

Train Rams and Assult Towers!, Carthage used this weapons even un the second punic war!

* Garrisson Rams Assault towers and elephants on ships!

I was just playing Sparta vs Iberia and while I wiped the map with my foes (okay, I admit it, I was playing vs an Easy AI... :P ) I simply could NOT find the last survivors. Have scoured the entire map hunting for them. It reminds me of the original Age of Empires where everyone had to play 'hunt the lost Granary/Storage Pit' in a Conquest game.

Maybe there could be a setting or option when starting a game to allow (AI opponents at least) to Resign when they have no chance of rebuilding/winning?

I was just playing Sparta vs Iberia and while I wiped the map with my foes (okay, I admit it, I was playing vs an Easy AI... :P ) I simply could NOT find the last survivors. Have scoured the entire map hunting for them. It reminds me of the original Age of Empires where everyone had to play 'hunt the lost Granary/Storage Pit' in a Conquest game.

Maybe there could be a setting or option when starting a game to allow (AI opponents at least) to Resign when they have no chance of rebuilding/winning?

they had something like that in AOM. an alternative could be to include a Spies tech for every civilization, available only in the very last phase and after numerous prerequisites, which reveals all enemy units at the cost of metal, but a very high amount and proportioned per unit and building. this means it would be more useful after you've more or less defeated the enemy but haven't won yet because you still need to mop up the last of them, since it would cost far less as a result

alternatively, there could be an Explore option where units wil scour the map on their own instead of having to be constantly directed. this cuts down on micromanaging in general and will allow you to focus more on your economy in order to train more soldiers to send out on these seek-and-destroy missions near the end of a match. ideally, Explore would make a unit move more or less randomly and regardless of how much blackmap remains, since an enemy survivor will undoutbedly be hiding somewhere in the fog of war

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Stan` featured this topic