Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

I found the problem with the Iberian Mercenary tech, it was indeed a typo, that particular tech was using the equivalent Celtic pair instead of the Iberian pair. Here is the fixed file for traintime_iberian_mercs_2.json.

{
"pair": "carthaginians/pair_iberian_mercs_2",
"genericName": "Spanish Hegemony",
"description": "Iberian mercenaries have their train time decreased.",
"cost": {"food": 0, "wood": 0, "stone": 200, "metal": 200},
"requirements": {"tech": "phase_city"},
"requirementsTooltip": "Unlocked in City Phase.",
"icon": "fist_spear.png",
"researchTime": 40,
"tooltip": "Subjugate Spain to reduce recruit time -20% for Iberian mercenaries.",
"modifications": [{"value": "Cost/BuildTime", "multiplier": 0.8}],
"affects": ["Iberian Mercenary"]
}

I know enough about JavaScript that I could probably contribute something on that front.

One of the things that has always interested me in RTS games is a unit ranking system. I first noticed in Starcraft, where units didn't gain ranks, but they did have the "Private", "Corporal", ect. which, for me atleast, was awesome. Other notable examples are games like Command and Conquer; units gained ranks from how many enemies they killed, and it would give them increased damage/health/other bonuses ect.

I think a system like that would be awesome in 0 A.D.!

Also, this is a bit of a longer stretch, but I've played RTS games that have allowed me to change/swap equipment for my units. Not like Men of War, Soldiers of Anarchy, ect. where you control your units inventory, but more of like allowing a unit to swap between a bow and dagger/shortsword, or something along those lines.

• Like 1

I found the problem with the Iberian Mercenary tech, it was indeed a typo, that particular tech was using the equivalent Celtic pair instead of the Iberian pair. Here is the fixed file for traintime_iberian_mercs_2.json.

I know enough about JavaScript that I could probably contribute something on that front.

So strange, I also found that problem, fixed it (at least I thought), but it didn't change behaviour. Maybe a typo in a typo :/

One of the things that has always interested me in RTS games is a unit ranking system. I first noticed in Starcraft, where units didn't gain ranks, but they did have the "Private", "Corporal", ect. which, for me atleast, was awesome. Other notable examples are games like Command and Conquer; units gained ranks from how many enemies they killed, and it would give them increased damage/health/other bonuses ect.

I think a system like that would be awesome in 0 A.D.!

That already exists, citizen soldier units do gain ranks as they kill other units. As they get higher rank they get better at fighting, but worse at gathering.

I have a (minor?) suggestion - it's probably been suggested before but just in case I thought I'd throw it out there!

How about a tooltip when you mouse over the resource stockpile, to tell you how many gatherers (citizen-soldiers/female citizens) are gathering each resource. Would help players prioritise :)

Apologies if this is already IN the interface somewhere and I've missed it! ;)

I have a (minor?) suggestion - it's probably been suggested before but just in case I thought I'd throw it out there!

How about a tooltip when you mouse over the resource stockpile, to tell you how many gatherers (citizen-soldiers/female citizens) are gathering each resource. Would help players prioritise :)

Apologies if this is already IN the interface somewhere and I've missed it! ;)

Thanks for reminding me of this, it would be nice to get in the next release.

• Like 1

My suggestion was actually about ship names in general, specifically warship names. The Carthaginians were just one example, because most civilizations, with the exception of the Persians, Athenians, Mauryans (Light and Medium Warship works for them since their ships don't have unique translations akin to Bireme or Trireme), and Iberians (since we don't know what to call their fire ship), currently have their civilian ships are named according to the design document while their warships generally aren't.

Of course, the design document doesn't actually reflect everything I have stated about ships names and other things are also a little bit of a mess. The Hellenic civs in the design document. with the exception of the Athenians and Ptolemies, are a little messy when it comes to how the Fishing Boat and Trade Ship are named and the specific name for the Hellenic Battering Ram is often a little bit of a mess as well. Also, the Penteconter for the various Hellenic civs should probably use that for its generic name instead of Light Warship, oddly enough the Spartans have the generic name as such in the design document.

One last thing, the development section of the website could also use the navigation header and footer that was added when the website was revamped in order to unite it with the rest of the website and to make it possible to navigate to the rest of the website from there.

Edited by Zeta1127

Ai is in development now, and we are in foundraiser Campaing to improve the game.

I very much hope that the AI will be able to use ships soon. However, I do fear for the fundraiser. The rate the donations have been flowing in has been decreasing and now I doubt the fundraiser will actually go past the $50,000 mark, which is less than a third of the fundraiser's goal.

I don't know if anyone has this idea before, but I'd like to have healers follow the garrison, because on an assault, the healers stay in place sometimes and the garrison are not healed, and so the die...

If the healer(s) can be affected to garrison units then he can follow and heal them.

I hope you understand my bad english... :)

Some "guarding" is planned (and a patch is on the way). So I think it could be used for healers too.

Guarding means that a unit will always follow an other unit in a certain range. And normally, attack enemies that come into his vision range. In that way, healers could guard a certain unit, but heal that unit when he's damaged instead.

First of all make early game faster ,it`s way toos slow and even with a friend to actually fight you in the first stage it`s too slow and not that dinamyc. And finally a suggestion for multiplayer: please make a basic lobby with chat and a list of other player`s and they`re created matches. It can really simplify the multiplayer and it will help start games faster. Also congrats on the progress so far ,it`s amazing and I think I`ve finally found a replacement for AoE ,can`t wait to see a competitive scene for this game and when it starts ,count me in.

• Like 1

The lobby looks amazing!!! And about the AoK`s early game. For AoK you did not need that many resources to advanced to the next age. And I understand that here we are talking about a small settlement advancing to a regular ,more diversed in options town but it should require less resources since after the first advancement you unleash more options than AoK or AoC or even AoFE had to offer in Feudal Age.

extended tech tree is actually really nice and it gives a chance to explore many options from an early age such as accesing some improved units early on or some improved defenses or economy. Also reaserching some techs that might benefit you in a later stage might be an interesting ideea. Any age can be interesting as long as it offers many options ,even the first one can be a total blast if it offers means for an active micro and macro

• Stan` featured this topic