Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

I think it would be better for citizen soldiers to build (and possibly man) siege weapons on-site like in Empires DMW's chinese faction, or the better of the Stronghold series.

I like how stronghold handled the use of siege weaponry. Weapons were useless without engineers manning them. Its always a pain when your army's too big to build siege when you run into something like a Carthaginian wall.

That idea I like ,us specially with Romans, there are a Onager unit can be have a good use. But can be static /fixed siege weapon.?

The Tavern for the Gauls doesn't decay, probably a holdover from when it wasn't a buildable structure, and the tooltip could use a little cleanup, probably with the phrasing from the House if we really want to highlight the population bonus.

Most of the factions with biremes/penteconters, triremes, and quinqueremes, specifically the Hellenes, the Macedonians, the Ptolemies, the Romans, the Seleucids, and the Spartans, need their specific and/or generic names cleaned up to the standard of the Athenians, the Carthaginians, and the Persians. For example, the Roman Quinquereme isn't even using its proper specific name.

Also, all of the triremes for these factions and the warships for the Mauryans have an outdated tooltip that is overriding the updated one.

Edited by Zeta1127

Heres a few very minor things.

Workers search for resource after arriving at rally point. e.g. if a tree is set as the rally point and is gone by the time workers are created the workers will be idle at the rally point.

Increases resource search for workers in general. Hunting and mining are ones I've noticed workers can't find another source as easily.

Units change colour on mini map when selected.

• Like 1

Heres a few very minor things.

Workers search for resource after arriving at rally point. e.g. if a tree is set as the rally point and is gone by the time workers are created the workers will be idle at the rally point.

Increases resource search for workers in general. Hunting and mining are ones I've noticed workers can't find another source as easily.

Units change colour on mini map when selected.

I like this one, from Rise of nations.

Few more.

Settings save and don't need to be redone every time the game restarts. Not sure about the option in the main menu, but the in game settings do not save.

Priests heal after doing an action with soldiers. Currently they're idle if they are grouped with soldiers and all move, attack etc.

Have a 'check for updates' button thingy in the main menu. I can't imagine many people check the website often, if ever.

Wait, there's worse than scythetwirler?:)

Oh wait, I did mean scythetwirler. Sorry for throwing names, sanderd. We never played together because you were always busy when I wanted to play. I also dont look down on oppurtunistic strategies, but early rushing defeats the point of the other stages of the game. Its nice to play to your civilization's strengths and builds to counter whatever your opponent throws at you, rather than attempt to kill off the first 15 workers your opponent creates in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Well rushing is perfectly ok for some reasons (besides being annoying sometimes, for new players and people liking other playstyles more, myself included):

• People see it as a way to spend less time per match.
  • Usually it can be countered without major loses unless the attacker is a clearly better player.
  • It's just another possible playstyle, and it would be mean to people who like it to have it forbidden.
  • Like 1

Some factions have starting civilian units that counter other civilian units from a different faction. Romans can wipe out Macedonian civilian soldiers. If another player can wipe out the first 15 working units of the game, the game is dramatically delayed and victory is guaranteed for the early rusher. Do you make a racing game just so that people have the ability to run you off the course completely at start?

Maybe we should make the CC arrows stronger and the range bigger (but don't give (a lot of) extra arrows for garrisoned soldiers). This way, people could be working in the protection of the CC, and rushes should be countered easier.

Its suppose to be in early stage none faction can attack effectiveness to others, even the AI.

Some factions have starting civilian units that counter other civilian units from a different faction. Romans can wipe out Macedonian civilian soldiers. If another player can wipe out the first 15 working units of the game, the game is dramatically delayed and victory is guaranteed for the early rusher. Do you make a racing game just so that people have the ability to run you off the course completely at start?

Starting units are always of 3 different types (excluding females), as many as the civ center units. No matter what the opponent trains, you'll have a counter or an equal available. It's a bit of a gamble, but scouting can reduce that. The rush attack army has to walk to you, not working and not having fast reinforcements, giving the advantage to the defender. Besides player skill only luck in troop composition and position of strike can be of advantage to the attacker, but they may as well be for the defender. Overall rushes can feel like a cheat/sure victory, but that's just cause they are usually preferred by good players (especially at micro). Those players would usually win anyway, even if it goes to booming for both. The game is not that racing, it's actually well bellow average speed for RTS, something I do like.

Usually I'm annoyed by rushes as well, but they're not unfair or game-breaking, you just need to learn dealing with them.

Maybe we should make the CC arrows stronger and the range bigger (but don't give (a lot of) extra arrows for garrisoned soldiers). This way, people could be working in the protection of the CC, and rushes should be countered easier.

Its suppose to be in early stage none faction can attack effectiveness to others, even the AI.

This could work, but not changing it too much. Also, about building range/base attack, i haven't noticed, are they slightly above archer stats? I think they should.

Another issue. The Macedonian tower "Helepolis" is seriously broken/overpowered. It can reach 462 attack with 20 ranged units inside, it attacks while moving and has enough protection to kill anything sent against it (only a huge elephant army could beat 6 of those towers with heavy loses, only to fail when the skirmishers inside got ungarrisoned striking the eles with bonus damage, and even an almost full pop melee cavalry force failed to get even one of the towers! There's no real counter to them if the controller knows what he's doing).

1. They should either be limited to 1 (the Helepolis was 1 anyway)
  2. Or be given something like 1/4 of the attack per garrisoned unit
  3. Or have garrison size reduced.
  4. Make them unable to attack while moving (however they could attack while moving in reality so not best fix imo)
  5. Further nerf their hit points (not their biggest issue though, could even be buffed again if the attack gets really debuffed)

Same could apply to ships as well (fix 2 could be a good universal fix, as small transport capacity would make transporting really tedious), as they get extremely strong with garrisoned ranged units, and maybe buildings (especially forts) as well, but to a lesser extend since they are immobile at least. 1/4rth bonus damage for each ranger for Helepolis and Ships and 1/2 for Structures (or just forts) would be great imo.

Edited by Prodigal Son

Starting units are always of 3 different types (excluding females), as many as the civ center units. No matter what the opponent trains, you'll have a counter or an equal available. It's a bit of a gamble, but scouting can reduce that. The rush attack army has to walk to you, not working and not having fast reinforcements, giving the advantage to the defender. Besides player skill only luck in troop composition and position of strike can be of advantage to the attacker, but they may as well be for the defender. Overall rushes can feel like a cheat/sure victory, but that's just cause they are usually preferred by good players (especially at micro). Those players would usually win anyway, even if it goes to booming for both. The game is not that racing, it's actually well bellow average speed for RTS, something I do like.

Usually I'm annoyed by rushes as well, but they're not unfair or game-breaking, you just need to learn dealing with them.

Interesting point, in Random match never I naver can get as Macedonians as my faction(player). all faction can have a CC adventage.

In Starcfrat and even Empire Earth II, you can do a Early rush Succcesfull. in AoE series you don't. the game is most oriented to be a AoE than a EE 2 or SC 1/2.

for me in first phase can be only for create a economy and explore the map, don't think a frontal attack. a skirmish attacks to explore and attack in the frontier of each player.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

This could work, but not changing it too much. Also, about building range/base attack, i haven't noticed, are they slightly above archer stats? I think they should.

Another issue. The Macedonian tower "Helepolis" is seriously broken/overpowered. It can reach 462 attack with 20 ranged units inside, it attacks while moving and has enough protection to kill anything sent against it (only a huge elephant army could beat 6 of those towers with heavy loses, only to fail when the skirmishers inside got ungarrisoned striking the eles with bonus damage, and even an almost full pop melee cavalry force failed to get even one of the towers! There's no real counter to them if the controller knows what he's doing).

1. They should either be limited to 1 (the Helepolis was 1 anyway)
  2. Or be given something like 1/4 of the attack per garrisoned unit
  3. Or have garrison size reduced.
  4. Make them unable to attack while moving (however they could attack while moving in reality so not best fix imo)
  5. Further nerf their hit points (not their biggest issue though, could even be buffed again if the attack gets really debuffed)

Same could apply to ships as well (fix 2 could be a good universal fix, as small transport capacity would make transporting really tedious), as they get extremely strong with garrisoned ranged units, and maybe buildings (especially forts) as well, but to a lesser extend since they are immobile at least. 1/4rth bonus damage for each ranger for Helepolis and Ships and 1/2 for Structures (or just forts) would be great imo.

ok but its not too strong if you have to counter. for a good reason its one most good machine to take cities.

sorry the before answer is for CC about early stage. now the navies can be like buildings or platform with units over them. the naval gameplay its cant a be big issue for now. with the lobby naval battles can be explored. i never play a naval battle in this game.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

The siege towers have been fixed AFAIK. They now only fire 0.5 arrows per soldier. Are you sure you're talking about the current version?

Changing it to 0.25 isn't hard, but I don't think it's really needed.

For me it's no highly needed not all players know that, full a tower it's difficult, produce one take time with full units. It's more when you are closing to win or when you are near to unbalance the victory to your side.

The siege towers have been fixed AFAIK. They now only fire 0.5 arrows per soldier. Are you sure you're talking about the current version?

Changing it to 0.25 isn't hard, but I don't think it's really needed.

For me it's no highly needed not all players know that, full a tower it's difficult, produce one take time with full units. It's more when you are closing to win or when you are near to unbalance the victory to your side.

ok but its not too strong if you have to counter. for a good reason its one most good machine to take cities.

sorry the before answer is for CC about early stage. now the navies can be like buildings or platform with units over them. the naval gameplay its cant a be big issue for now. with the lobby naval battles can be explored. i never play a naval battle in this game.

Speaking of alpha 15, not SVN (if you mean that). And even if at half, 231 damage, it one-shots almost anything.

They are definitely overpowered. Full army (me) vs most army (scythetwirler - as he used some to distract my ally).

• Scythe has 160 skirmishers, most of them in 6 Helepolis
  • I have on first occasion 100+ archers, 30+ Armored Elephants, 50+ other troops (mostly spearmen)
  • I have on second occasion almost full pop of Melee cavalry

-First occasion, the spearmen soak some missiles, the elephants could beat the helepolis with crush damage upon reaching them, but tada! Skirmishers ungarrisoned, bye elephants. Obviously lost the fight with minor losses for scythe.

-Second occasion, I lost around 200 melee cavalry in seconds, without even killing a tower or unit. And melee cavalry is supposed to be anti-siege.

Ofc scythe's a great micro-er and far better than me in general, but still I think you get the point. Nothing can counter those in the current game state. Loaded ships with missile troops are the water version of this.

Edited by Prodigal Son

• Stan` featured this topic