Jump to content

Suggestions for 0 A.D.


Wijitmaker
 Share

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Arup said:

@guerringuerrin I had no idea storehouses also have the bell! thanks for the vid lol

Now that you say it, isn't that a bit weird? They don't garrison troops with the alarm. I'd only have it in all buildings that can garrison, and maybe add a garrison of 1 to the Lookout just as an excuse to have it there also.

Edited by Thalatta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't the bell intended to be a general alarm no matter if units can go inside that building or not? It does not say "come home to me" but "go, look for shelter"

I fdo agree that we should have a garrison of 1 to a lookout. It used to be the case in earlier versions of the game. The intent was to permanently occupy a gaia lookout and keep it (avoid decay). This has changed a while ago. Now you can claim a lokkout and it will not decay.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Grautvornix said:

Isn't the bell intended to be a general alarm no matter if units can go inside that building or not? It does not say "come home to me" but "go, look for shelter"

Then shouldn't it be in every building? What I mean by weird is that it's present on buildings that don't garrison, and absent in buildings that do. I'd add it only on buildings that garrison because if one at some point has only buildings that don't garrison then the alarm wouldn't do much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thalatta said:

Then shouldn't it be in every building? What I mean by weird is that it's present on buildings that don't garrison, and absent in buildings that do. I'd add it only on buildings that garrison because if one at some point has only buildings that don't garrison then the alarm wouldn't do much.

Is intended for hide civilians. If you remove them from storehouses you might not be able to garrison your civilians chopping woods.

I think the current behavior is good

3 hours ago, Arup said:

@guerringuerrin I had no idea storehouses also have the bell! thanks for the vid lol

Yeah and is nice bc u those bells will garrison your choppers, keeping the farms gathering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@guerringuerrin ah, that's a different thing, and makes sense. Then maybe each bell should mention something about that, I would have thought all bells are for all civilians.
 

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1718 (Phabricator is the software we used before Gitea)

Well, regarding "balance was a huge concern", I think I didn't see more than a couple of people complaining, while the rest seemed to be on board, but maybe I'm still missing part of the discussion.

I wonder if it wouldn't be more efficient, to have a better sense and gather all these regularly mentioned ideas, to have somewhere some kind of perma-poll that orders items by approval (most for:neutral:against on top). With the link always visible or added to the title of this thread.

Edited by Thalatta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, guerringuerrin said:

Now do it for every building with aura and PR :smoke:

Works for all buildings :thumbsup: Will do for the PR.

33 minutes ago, Emacz said:

what you do? May we use in CWA? :)

Sure, I've just added to ModernGUI so you can pull if you want.
If you want to add it to CWA because it helps understand some of your buildings mechanics you can just copy past this file :
https://gitlab.com/4trik/ModernGUI/-/blob/master/simulation/components/GuiInterface~auraInBuildingPlacement.js
 
Conveniently holding in a single isolated mod file for you to do so, but of course, unrelated to your request :)

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Atrik said:

Works for all buildings :thumbsup: Will do for the PR.

Is there a way to also show ranges of buildings that shoot arrows? To know where to place buildings. Ideally showing all these ranges when pressing something, while not cancelling the placement process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Thalatta said:

Is there a way to also show ranges of buildings that shoot arrows? To know where to place buildings. Ideally showing all these ranges when pressing something, while not cancelling the placement process.

That's already the case but you might have it disabled, check option or it's also a hotkey still "Atl+C". Thanks to @guerringuerrin this hotkey will be unassigned next release as it tends to troll people.
Also in the PR i made all range overlay are forced enabled for the placement previews.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, I love open-source.

We've touched on this, but I've just enabled Citizen-Soldier upgrade techs on Alpha 18. Thanks to the developers for leaving them in there. All I had to do is to edit several templates and put them in.

Since there are no standard rank upgrades through fighting in A18, this is the perfect compromise for me. I've also removed the useless Stamina bar on multiple selection.

EDIT: The CS rank stats are all messed up, and basic units are often stronger than Advanced units. It seems like the game was balanced around Basic CS only at the time. Such a shame.

Edited by Deicide4u
Correction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Morning,

after playing this game for a few days, I thought that Roads and Paths would be a great addition.
Road and Paths, (Stone, Dirt, etc.) could boost ground units and carriages, especially between allies.
It would also look nicer, to have a town with some pathing, instead of just grass or dirt.

As an alternative, it could also be done with a painting tool that would allow us to just paint roads and paths, that would not have a gameplay advantage, besides looking nice.

Thank you in Advance
Imran

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@NationGamer090 I think this has been discussed, it would be a nice addition, but I think there might be problems with pathfinding. Palisades and walls already work like a painting tool (just keep shift pressed), so that shouldn't be much of a problem, I guess.

 

Regarding palisades, I never use them, are they used in MP? I think they should be the preferred defence building early on, but seem underpowered to me. I think they should be faster to build: for Spartans, a house costs 150 wood and is built in 50 seconds, while a palisade costing the same amount of wood is built in over 2:30 minutes. This seems unrealistic, given that houses are more complicated to build, but none of that is really a problem, the problem comes if they are, on top of that, not even used because they are mostly useless. Or maybe people don't want to increase defensiveness in the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can't boost walls too much or you will encourage turtling playstyle, which kinda suck for multiplayer.
Also, roads might be a good feature for a mod focused on city builder or a more economic, design city gameplay. For and RTS i think is a bit too much

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think people will use them as-is if we can fix their rebuilding mechanic (placing towers at the end of wall segments).

idk. @Atrik made good improvements with snapings walls that will be probably in the next realease, and are cool. But boosting their building time or things like that. I guess is just a matter of tastes. I find turtling/defensive playstyles very boring

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, guerringuerrin said:

idk. @Atrik made good improvements with snapings walls that will be probably in the next realease, and are cool. But boosting their building time or things like that. I guess is just a matter of tastes. I find turtling/defensive playstyles very boring

I just want it to be viable. I found the knock out drag out siege wars of AOE2 back in the day pretty fun. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, guerringuerrin said:

You can't boost walls too much or you will encourage turtling playstyle, which kinda suck for multiplayer.

I do agree though, that palisades are under used. I mean, historically most civilizations would probably build a palisade around their settlements, especially if they know there is an enemy near by. Lowering the time to construct them (they’re just stakes in the ground bro) and maybe adjusting their cost would make them much more useful. Maybe also adjusting their life and resistance so that it reflects their material and use case would also be helpful.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Perzival12 said:

I do agree though, that palisades are under used. I mean, historically most civilizations would probably build a palisade around their settlements, especially if they know there is an enemy near by. Lowering the time to construct them (they’re just stakes in the ground bro) and maybe adjusting their cost would make them much more useful. Maybe also adjusting their life and resistance so that it reflects their material and use case would also be helpful.

well I don't think they have a long building time anyways

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, guerringuerrin said:

roads might be a good feature for a mod focused on city builder or a more economic, design city gameplay

Agree.

3 hours ago, guerringuerrin said:

I find turtling/defensive playstyles very boring

I disagree. Turtling is a valid playstyle like all other playstyles, and it needs to have place in this game, when executed properly. Right now it's almost impossible anyway, especially because we first need to fix walls. Walls are currently the only thing that's not capturable in this game, which means you need siege to break down stone walls effectively. Everything else can just be captured with overwhelming force of units, and that makes turtling nearly impossible. By turtling, I mean investing in defensive towers, Fortresses and CCs to expand, not camping in base amassing CS (what we do now, essentially).

Towers are made of wet tissue paper, it's laughable how easy they are to capture. Fortresses are buffed in R28, but I still find myself capturing garrisoned Forts with masses of units. This shouldn't be possible, which is why I still believe capturing feature was a mistake. It just made the game harder to balance in the long run, and it has created some ridiculous tactics. Like capture+delete of building with 2000+ hit points and ~500 capture points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...