New Civ for Alpha 28+?

New Civ for Alpha 28+  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be fun to add another civ to the game for Alpha 28?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. IF YES, then which civ sounds most interesting? Choose the one you'd most want to play or see in the game. I know it's a tough choice.

• Syracusans (of Sicily)
    • Lusitanians (split from Iberians)
    • Thracians
    • Scythians & Xiongnu (combo deal)
    • Suebians (Germans)
    • Thebans (of Greece)
    • Other (Etruscans, Samnites, Illyrians, Galatians, Armenians, Garamantes, Nabataeans, Parthians, Greco-Bactrians, or Pontians)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2023-01-30 at 05:00

37 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Champion skirms were great, I wouldn't be opposed to giving sparta a champ skirmisher. Might be super OP with brasidas.

Then the Spartans will become absolute skirmisher hyper-fans! :D

I think having too many units of the same range is bad, because there will be overcrowding at that line and

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I do not want Spartans to become even more ahistorical than they already are (thinking of Skiritai spam, but maybe not a problem in this alpha).

Or any other civ for skirm champ. I don't care which--it was a fun unit and the game is worse without it. 

I can't remember whether those Kardakes were champions or mercenaries, but they were fun units that strengthened the weak persian infantry. Same goes for Stoa and P2 champions that Athen and Sparta had. We should get those things back as we lost many fun  P2 strategies like champion rush.

New civs can include these as well. Or, add new unit types: slinger cav and slinger champions (I know this makes no historical sense but let's suppose one noble guy wanted to use slings instead of spears, and one slinger learnt to ride a horse) , axe inf, mace cav, axe champions, more fire arrow units (Chinese / Sinitic civs), more poison units (American civs), intimidation units (scares enemies and weaken them), minister-like units...

Just find a random historical civ and cram some of these stuff in and it will be fun!

38 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

(re: champion javelineer) Athenians had them earlier

Completely ahistorical, I'm afraid. Better to make some kind of tech or bonus to the Thracian Peltasts they have. "Mountain Men" (+20% health) or "Leather Boots" (+20% speed) or "Skirmishing Tradition" (-50% promotion XP required) or all of the above.

26 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

slinger champions

Macedonians and Late Romans for sure! (dart-throwers, can be classed as slingers, for the Macedonians; Staff Slingers for the Late Romans).

26 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

slinger cav

I'm horrified by this suggestion. ;) 

46 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

perhaps if "Kardakes" skirms are added it would be to the same hero building that Persian immortals come from.

Definitely a possibility.

• Like 1

I don't recommend continuing to strengthen the javelin soldiers, the 0AD javelin soldiers have greatly affected the game experience. I now really hope that these range soldiers are nerfed to the same level as in other ancient warfare RTS.

We all know that the Persians ruled many peoples, they have a very complete infantry, there are different nationalities of axemen, macemen, swordsmen, slingers, archers, spearmen (the Assyrians are especially professional). We can arbitrarily choose infantry from one or two ethnic groups to join the game to strengthen the Persians. Currently, the Persians have fewer infantry types than cavalry types, which is too abnormal.

Edited by AIEND
  • Like 1

13 小时前,wowgetoffyourcellphone 说:

我在想波斯人的重型“Cardaces”或“Kardakes”散兵。 

Trying to add a Champion Javelin to the game again is not a good idea, the design that existed in the A23 was eliminated two years ago and it was the right thing to do. To strengthen Persian infantry, you can add axemen and immortal archers.

Edited by AIEND
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AIEND said:

I don't recommend raising Javelins too high at all. If you are trying to strengthen Persian infantry, you can add Axemen or Assyrian Spearmen.

How about Greek Mercenaries? Since it is a fact that Persians prefer to employ Greek Mercenaries against any foreign adversaries (domestic rebellion).

4 分钟前,d34d svn 说:

希腊雇佣兵怎么样? 因为事实上波斯人更喜欢雇佣希腊雇佣兵来对抗任何外国对手(国内叛乱)。

I don't think it is necessary to abandon the soldiers of so many ethnic groups under the Persian rule and choose Greeks. There are already too many Greeks in this game, and it will appear monotonous.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AIEND said:

I don't think it is necessary to abandon the soldiers of so many ethnic groups under the Persian rule and choose Greeks. There are already too many Greeks in this game, and it will appear monotonous.

For pragmatism and historical accuracy, the Greeks Mercenaries perform better in combat and frequently mentioned by ancient historians. 

i know It's monotonous but it is a fact Persians prefer Greek Mercenaries instead of local levies or raising a new infantry corps (Kardakes). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AIEND said:

I don't recommend continuing to strengthen the javelin soldiers, the 0AD javelin soldiers have greatly affected the game experience. I now really hope that these range soldiers are nerfed to the same level as in other ancient warfare RTS.

We all know that the Persians ruled many peoples, they have a very complete infantry, there are different nationalities of axemen, macemen, swordsmen, slingers, archers, spearmen (the Assyrians are especially professional). We can arbitrarily choose infantry from one or two ethnic groups to join the game to strengthen the Persians. Currently, the Persians have fewer infantry types than cavalry types, which is too abnormal.

How about Greek Mercenaries and Phoenician Marines?

Edited by d34d svn

On 12/02/2023 at 7:05 PM, AIEND said:

I think that since Yamatai can be accepted, the backwardness of American civilization in military technology is not so prominent. Well, we might as well give it a try. I don’t know any other outstanding representatives of American civilization in this time period two thousand years ago besides the Maya, but if we decide to do it, we might as well take the representative American powers of this period All show up.

We could have a couple native american civilizations that can be represented at this time. Central America has the Olmecs and Zapotecs (although we have little to nothing on the Olmecs so its unlikely), and the maya in the yucatan as you have mentioned. South America has the Chavin and Nazca (with the latter just squeezing in at 100 bce).

Personally I would like to see the a North American culture represented like the Hopewell, but similar to the Olmecs, very little is known and therefore unlikely.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2023 at 9:33 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think the issue here lies in the pace of the game. A player rarely has time to set up a nice city and match it up against the enemy's city, before the action really makes that a moot strategy. The people don't use walls much also drives this home. It feels like you're just building a military base with the optimal layout to maximize military production. There's not a lot of cultural exploration there.

Would be nice to have a game mode (or mod ?) for that, indeed.

Like you get one preparation phase (not real-time) with some resources to put buildings and walls on the map before starting the real-time play.