New Civ for Alpha 28+?

New Civ for Alpha 28+  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be fun to add another civ to the game for Alpha 28?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. IF YES, then which civ sounds most interesting? Choose the one you'd most want to play or see in the game. I know it's a tough choice.

• Syracusans (of Sicily)
    • Lusitanians (split from Iberians)
    • Thracians
    • Scythians & Xiongnu (combo deal)
    • Suebians (Germans)
    • Thebans (of Greece)
    • Other (Etruscans, Samnites, Illyrians, Galatians, Armenians, Garamantes, Nabataeans, Parthians, Greco-Bactrians, or Pontians)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2023-01-30 at 05:00

32 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

D you have anything specific to suggest changing?

I would say some color change to the fabric of the yurts would be good. A more beige color vs white.

28 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I was also wondering what you thought of the auto-build features. One option is to lean further into that instead.

I have not heard of this. What is Auto-build?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Delenda Est also allows players to choose random civs based on region. Best of both worlds.

I don't know why that hasn't been implemented.

Sometimes I just want to play with western empires.(Rome , Carthage, Greeks).

With a barbarian or Hellenic ally.

Vs Some other empire + barbarian ally.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I would say some color change to the fabric of the yurts would be good. A more beige color vs white.

Oh, you mean differentiate more between Scythians and Xiongnu? I've already done that. :)

Left: Scythians. Right: Xiongnu

ftb7Uvv.png

We could always differentiate further though

44 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I have not heard of this. What is Auto-build?

Just place the structure's foundation and it builds itself without any workers. Right now, the nomads specifically have this feature and so do farm fields broadly. It's pretty slow right now, but you can help it along with workers. The exact auto-build speed can be changed. It's just there as a proof of concept for now.

3 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

ftb7Uvv.png

Oh interesting. They are actually quite different side by side. When I played xiongnu after playing scythians, the difference wasn't very apparent and I actually thought they were the same (perhaps thats just on my tiny laptop tho).

I think it might be good to make the xiongnu yurt texture a little warmer (kind of like in the discussion of gauls vs suebians)

Im not sure about the autobuild feature. In general, you usually want to make use of your investments (the foundation) fairly quickly, while not tasking so many units to build that you waste eco. Because of this balance (between delayed return on investment vs building efficiency), it seems like it would either amount to a build rate buff, or it would be OP (just relying on the autobuild while committing everything to eco).

I think a middle ground would be to just make the female horse archer basically just a mobile woman with higher build rate and stats for self defense. This way the remaining cavalry would behave as expected compared to the other civs, and the Scythians get a special eco unit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Oh, you mean differentiate more between Scythians and Xiongnu? I've already done that. :)

ftb7Uvv.png

Just place the structure's foundation and it builds itself without any workers. Right now, the nomads specifically have this feature and so do farm fields broadly. It's pretty slow right now, but you can help it along with workers. The exact auto-build speed can be changed. It's just there as a proof of concept for now.

It occurs to me to add more red (or color layer to the textile)

To the central Asian (Scythian)

some of these interior textures can be used exterior. and the carpets too.

yurt-of-invincibility.jpg

interior-mongolian-ger-yurt-260nw-1778749604.jpg

women-in-traditional-costume-bashkir-yurt-interior-sabantuy-festival-ATFTCH.jpg

istockphoto-1004522660-170667a.jpg

isolated-yurt-ancient-dwelling-nomad-260nw-1835902357.jpg

• Like 1

On 01/01/2023 at 1:03 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, even if a civ like Syracuse gets added eventually, it'd be nice to get some more "Barbarian" civs into the game first.

I would love to expand EA to being 500 BC to 500 AD. Add:

Imperial Romans

• Already quite advanced in DE.

Goths

Dacians

Sasanian Persians

Huns

Palmyrenes

Yamatai Japanese

And then this would be the "Sequel"^. The Millennium AD mod being the basis for "Part 2."

No Illyrians and Hasmoneans?

Edit: Numidians.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Xiongnu can have other shapes and colors.1656391675_images(2).jpeg.bf1a58012c6b9eb81da4d063fe284492.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

These are Mongolians in 3D colors plus earth and wood.

With some decorated with finer fabrics (golden silk?)

mongolianyurt01.jpg

old-mongolian-yurt-and-interior-3d-model-low-poly-max-obj-fbx (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

old-mongolian-yurt-and-interior-3d-model-low-poly-max-obj-fbx.jpg

Very cool, and great references for differentiating the two in shapes, not just texture colors.

3 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I found found what yurts look like on a wagon.2ffde77273d009e98ffb3836d4c490d6--yurts-wagon.thumb.jpg.0cbf598ec336bc189269d325cc7e9a8c.jpg

The ancient Greek writer Herodotus introduced the yurt, used by the Scythian people around 440 BC. He compared the Massagetae nomads and their way of life with the Scythians, writing that it was quite similar. Herodotus noted that the Massagetae nomads were “a people without fortified towns, living as the Scythians do in wagons which they take with them wherever they go, accustomed, one and all, to fight on horseback with bows and arrows, and dependent for their food not upon agriculture but upon their cattle.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thevintagenews.com/2018/03/16/yurts/amp/?prebid_ab=enabled

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1358515944487756&id=134629770209719&set=a.134945310178165&refid=13&__tn__=+>

Mirror: 

On 04/01/2023 at 9:57 PM, Sturm said:

Is it possible to make a map of the civilizations already inserted in the game? I know that the game's time frame doesn't help, but... South America seems to me to be totally unrepresented. Is there any civilization on this sub-continent (South America) with enough data to create a civilization in a game with a time frame like 0 ad?

certain groups of people such as minor cultures can be represented as mini factions.

On 03/01/2023 at 12:12 PM, Philip the Swaggerless said:

I personally like the time restriction to keep the feel of the time.  It's already strange enough that if you play Romans vs Gaul or Britons you do not get to pick Julius Caesar.

If at the start of the game you chose between 2 or 3 eras, and then could only choose civs of that era, that would be cool.  However, I'm sure that would be a lot of work, especially as alpha updates go on.

we need a Roman faction of the period. (Late Roman Republic).

Personally, I would like a new civ which contains:

• Infantry slingers
  • Cavalry archers (or infantry archers)
  • Skirmishers (any type)
  • Elephants
  • Champion chariots
  • Pikeman
  • Champion swordsman
  • Catapults

I'm not sure if this is too much of an ask, but a civ that has all of these would be great. In terms of region, we haven't anything from both American continents and none from Oceania (if there were any civilisation there). So it would be great if we can add a new civilisation from these 2 regions that contains all of these units.

Furthermore, I haven't seen an infantry skirmisher champion nor an infantry slinger champion. Perhaps we can incorporate those into a new civ?

31 minutes ago, Carltonus said:

Those two would be like the Antigonids or mid-late Macedonians with agema/royal peltasts or kestrosphedones (dart slingers), respectively. Most of the units on the list would fit this faction.

Unfortunately, we already have too many Hellenic civs and I am not suggesting we turn 0 A.D. into Greek A.D. :D

Is it possible to add champion skirmishers and slingers into other civilisations, with the excuse of having a few very well trained athletes who were also well equipped in battles? There are always a few students who excel from the pack and we can just proclaim them to be the champion units of that civilisation. 

• Like 1

For example, the Spartans underwent rigourous training since a young age, so we can argue that the javelin throwing skills of some of them are of champion quality, so we can add a champion skirmisher unit to the Spartans. I'm just using the Spartans as an example to illustrate my point; the Spartans already have too many skirmishers and what they really need is archers, not more skirmishers. But similar arguments can be made for other civs: we can give the Persians a champion skirmisher unit since their infantry is slightly monotonic.

6 hours ago, Helicity said:
  • Infantry slingers
  • Cavalry archers (or infantry archers)
  • Skirmishers (any type)
  • Elephants
  • Champion chariots
  • Pikeman
  • Champion swordsman
  • Catapults

almost Seleucids, just missing slingers.

Champion skirms were great, I wouldn't be opposed to giving sparta a champ skirmisher. Might be super OP with brasidas.

1 hour ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Champion skirms were great, I wouldn't be opposed to giving sparta a champ skirmisher. Might be super OP with brasidas.

They used to have but we’re removed from a23–>a24. I think another civ (Persia?)  also used to have a champ skirm too that was removed at the same time. 

But yes, I would like a champ skirm inf unit in the game again 

• Like 1