Sign in to follow this  
Stan`

2019 Art Wishlist

I'm creating this thread as something I've been wanting to do for quite some time now. The goal is to receive community feedback on things they'd like us (The Art department) to give attention to for the year 2019.

Disclaimer: Voicing your opinion here doesn't mean things will get done, but I hope it will allow me to see what the community wants. Do not hesitate to voice other people ideas that could be expressed on the lobby for instance

IMPORTANT. I will not answer any comments related to adding new civs. Any such comment will be removed/edited. I know that's something you really want, but I can't give you satisfaction on it. If this topic becomes a bloodbath, It will be locked.

IMPORTANT2: Do not post references here. Only text, if you need to ask for something specific make a thread and link it here.

I will likely spend a lot of my time this year doing administrative stuff, like checking commits and answering the forums, but I still have some stuff I'd like to do on the eye candy for the game and the mapmakers, as well as some code too, to allow a deeper sound ambiance, working together with @Samulis I might also finish recording voices for the Kushites :) I also have the mods to attend to, and my personal one (Dwarves, go check the pictures on moddb)  that I hope to finish this coming year.

Tagging the art department @Alexandermb @wackyserious @LordGood @Enrique 

Ah, and finally, please do not make me regret this.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• Update heroes props (helmets).
  • try done mostly of animal animations.
  • more eyecandy stuff. special building those add fun to the maps.(functional special buildings)

On 12/31/2018 at 9:12 PM, Sundiata said:

I wish you all the strength, time, motivation and patience to continue your marvelous contributions, whichever they may be :) 

image.png.5f4256865d35fc3fda9ca132fb085e7a.png

---------

I wish Sundiata makes all symbols(rare forms like zooforms) that I request for the game.:rofl:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Update the Arabic units (Nabataean Camel Archer, Arab Javelineer) with props and textures. They currently use Persian assets.

I'll look for references later so that Alexander and Wackyserious take it for example and don't spend time searching.

-------------------

New wish...

• make more mercenaries like Berebers, Illryans, Iberians, Black Sea mercenaries.
Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

More types of houses for each civ. And eye candy on the base of the structure like shrubs. 

New CC foundation should be like the first one with those gray tiles or something so that wen you relocate to another good sim city location it will look as the original. 

Happy New Year and happy gaming. 

• Like 1

• new biomas like American continent. (Amazonia, Mesoamerica, Andes and Florida/Missisipi or may be Terra Nova).
  • finish planned biomes and maps (flora, minerals, and fauna)etc.

Happy new year. "MMXIX" A.D. 

Imagen relacionada

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

Happy New Year! (MMDCCLXXII AVC)

There are many things I'd like to see: military shipyards for all factions, quadriremes, chariots, proper pikemen (a pike is not a short stick; it's a two-handed weapon; you can't swing it around), a new architecture set for the Romans, etc.

However, if I had to choose, I'd prefer more fauna above anything else. People really underestimate how much of history depends on which crops and animals people had access to. Ordinary cattle, arguably one of the most important species, is not even present in 0 A.D.; nor are mules, donkeys, and onagers; or ducks and geese, which were a lot more common than chicken. I've made a list somewhere, there are a lot of other species I hope will eventually be included in the game.

Flora and fauna really help making the game coming to life, and they are not just useful for Empires Ascendant, but actually for any timeframe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nescio said:

However, if I had to choose, I'd prefer more fauna above anything else. People really underestimate how much of history depends on which crops and animals people had access to. Ordinary cattle, arguably one of the most important species, is not even present in 0 A.D.; nor are mules, donkeys, and onagers; or ducks and geese, which were a lot more common than chicken. I've made a list somewhere, there are a lot of other species I hope will eventually be included in the game.

I believe @Alexandermb has a few thing in stock. We committed Enrique's fox that was long due, Three Students from Active Design made a Tuna, a Flamingo, and a Lion, though the later is not in an usable state right now. Their second semester will be about animating so we might be able to commit at the end of it. As for donkeys, I will had a template if that's not the case because it's already in the game :)

Re the chicken since the bird was first domesticated in south east Asia it took several hundred years to reach the Mediterranean and Europe.

Enjoy the Choice :)  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

More foundation sizes and scaffolding sizes.

Sure. Any size you'd want in priority ? 
Im looking for a way to standardize the size of the decals because they are not linear and their unit do not make sense in blender.

My three big wishes would be:

Greek-faction theatres
Greek-faction walls/towers,
Ptolemaic lighthouse wonder and 2-3 main structures hellenized for a better balance.

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25182-antiquity-experts-main-thread/

I posted a lot of pictures from my collection here! I think your work is most awesome. Thank you!

Edited by Anaxandridas ho Skandiates

1 hour ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

Greek-faction theatres

I believe there are already theatrons in the game, or do you mean something else ?

Ptolemies already have a lighthouse but if you want it to be expanded you could do a rough paint over of things you don't like :)

I don't know much time @LordGood has but he is the most qualified to hellenized the ptolemies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

I believe there are already theatrons in the game, or do you mean something else ?

Ptolemies already have a lighthouse but if you want it to be expanded you could do a rough paint over of things you don't like :)

I don't know much time @LordGood has but he is the most qualified to hellenized the ptolemies.

There are quite nice and fancy theatra (except weird late-Roman floor mosaics on the sides??), but they are really Roman and not Greek.

I posted pictures in the linked thread, they need to be bigger and more elegant (less 'bulky' and just seats and entries left-right, with a full circle orchestra and low mostly wooden scene building) [Edit: not "full-circle", but more than half-circle! see referenced thread pictures <3 ]

I know the lighthouse already there and I like it, but I was thinking about the actual wonder - in the same thread I posted my own reconstruction of the lighthouse based on all depictions ever found (I can supply pictures of all coin and mosaic and other depictions known to exist, but thought the quality of my work to be convincing enough as it is?)

15 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

I know the lighthouse already there and I like it, but I was thinking about the actual wonder 

isn't  a wonder in the game, is a special building. Is because game-wise, you can build the lighthouse Inna non  water map.

30 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

isn't  a wonder in the game, is a special building. Is because game-wise, you can build the lighthouse Inna non  water map.

I was talking about making the real world wonder of the Pharos lighthouse the actual wonder of the ptolemaic civ - just a huge accurate version of the small "pharos lighthouse" now in the game. They built smaller lighthouses in the same style, and we have a still-standing funerary monument that is a miniature Pharos, at "Abusir".

And generally, I am not criticizing the existing buildings, they are really beautiful. But surely, now so much effort, an insane amount of effort, has been put into making this game give an actual feeling of antiquity - making all kinds of details and correct uniforms, endless discussions to get the best results. Why do all this, if then the lighthouse and theatres and the last few details are incorrect?

I am ready to serve in any capacity, including the recording of Greek voices. But my strength will be the creation of historical campaigns once we move past alpha-stage. And then helping you avoid mistakes like placing the fire of the pharos in the wrong place, because it looked "right" or inspiration came from Assasin's Creed. (which has lots of great stuff in it, like correct lettering on "Alexander's tomb' and historical info tours with interesting facts, but unfortunately has still 99% visuals that are completely fanciful and made-up.)

• Like 1

so wrong topic... there is where you are aiming.  that was one my wishes, you can post a lot building there, you have good images by the way.

57 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

I was talking about making the real world wonder of the Pharos lighthouse the actual wonder of the ptolemaic civ - just a huge accurate version of the small "pharos lighthouse" now in the game. They built smaller lighthouses in the same style, and we have a still-standing funerary monument that is a miniature Pharos, at "Abusir".

I think there was a lot of discussion about this in the day. I like the Temple of Edfu as their wonder. That way you don't have players building a "lighthouse" in the middle of desert or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And while we are at it, for the wall-corrections keep in mind that 95% of ancient warfare was conducted as siege-warfare.

Walls in hellenistic times were generally 8-12m tall, and their towers 10-14m tall, and they were rectangular, protruding forwards creating little "courtyards" between them with the walls running through them (like in the game now).

I suggest to make the towers a bit larger extending them outwards, and making them farther-in-between, and removing details from their 'facades'. Walls and towers alike displayed largely undecorated uniform masonry surfaces, walls were crenellated with squares and towers generally had a triangular portico-style roof, not the "age-of-empires" pyramidal roof. The macedonian blacksmith "towerlet" has the perfect roof. 

You want to make all Greek factions have such walls. You can give the Ptolemies the same walls, but with large blocks of limestone. (Material of the Pharos.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

And while we are at it, for the wall-corrections keep in mind that 95% of ancient warfare was conducted as siege-warfare.

Not entirely correct. Yes, pitched battles were rare; if you had written "sieges were twenty times as common as pitched battles" I wouldn't have objected. However, your hyperbole is misleading: warfare actually consisted mostly of skirmishes, raids, plundering the countryside, that kind of things.

• Like 2