===[TASK]=== Kushite Units, Unit Textures, and Unit Props

wowgetoffyourcellphone

@Alexandermb, Jesus that was fast! Looks great (I don't know why the one on the right is stretched like that though) side-view, of course, duh...

Yaaaaay, Kushite sword scabbard!

One more thing is there could be 2 bronze rings, attached to those bronze bits in the middle, to attach the straps to. see examples.

Thank you!!!

Edited by Sundiata

12 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

@Alexandermb, Jesus that was fast! Looks great (I don't know why the one on the right is stretched like that though) side-view, of course, duh...

Yaaaaay, Kushite sword scabbard!

One more thing is there could be 2 bronze rings, attached to those bronze bits in the middle, to attach the straps to. see examples.

Thank you!!!

i was working on the fisherman it took me about 4 hours to test something and still is WIP, i saw this post and decided to make this and rest a bit from the fisherman again i love more doing weapon's or mechanical animations rather than cloth/capes/humans hahaha.

For now it has 100 tris, wich isn't too much, so i hope you don't mind having 120 or 140 
image.png.571da3341e6dd7b71813186dec6ca36b.png(152)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

i was working on the fisherman it took me about 4 hours to test something and still is WIP, i saw this post and decided to make this and rest a bit from the fisherman again i love more doing weapon's or mechanical animations rather than cloth/capes/humans hahaha.

It's funny how you can spend hours on one thing and just minutes on another. Either way, it's all making the game look and feel all the better! 

5 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

For now it has 100 tris, wich isn't too much, so i hope you don't mind having 120 or 140 

I don't know about max tris for props like this, but I think it's ok. Could you share the file here, so that @wackyserious or @stanislas69 can incorporate it for the Meroitic swordsmen? perhaps just fix it diagonally on the back, that would be best (if you could fix straps that go around the chest, that would be awesome)

2 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Is this how you wanted the sandals to look like?

Well, it actually turned out a little better than I was thinking, lol... I don't know if the colour is ok?

2 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Could you share the file here, so that @wackyserious or @stanislas69 can incorporate it for the Meroitic swordsmen? perhaps just fix it diagonally on the back, that would be best (if you could fix straps that go around the chest, that would be awesome)

straps around the chest could be half straps on the body texture (about 70%) and a bit rectangular face overlapping the scabbard with the same texture of the strap.

• Like 1

@Alexandermb, if you're interested:

We need a Kushite feathered horse-crown (prop), to replace the current Seleucid placeholder. I made a horse-crown texture with the exact outline:

5a687afd027bd_Kushitehorsecrownheadpieceproptexturefinal.png.e91e687792003674062232a5924e8c72.png

I made use of a 19th century image in the public domain

I'm not sure if it should be used by cavalry champions or only by the mounted hero 

I forgot wowgetoffyourcellphone's awesome idea: Noble cavalry upgrade to Royal cavalry (after tech research). Noble cav doesn't get horse-crown, royal cav does...

This one is for the mounted hero:

5a68a50b00288_Kushiteroyalhorsecrownheadpieceproptexturefinal.png.e23c192041dc5ac52640c06b553653f1.png

Spoiler

Horse crown from Meroë:

5a68751da38fd_KingdomofKushKushitehorsewithfeathercrown.jpg.b5c8dfb4078588fa6b8f0e4b5cf965eb.jpg

Horse crowns from Napata:

5a64ba6639748_KushitehorsecrownNapata.jpg.b6410aed91b0060da5a0f984bdb93de5.thumb.jpg.b9d2c32d3b1a57e6fdf5a300aa569ec0.jpg

Egyptian examples:

So I figured out why this image struck me as looking so Kushite... It's in Kush... The temple of Beit el-Wali to be exact, in modern day Nubia, built by Ramesses II in the New Kingdom (when Kush and Egypt were a unified nation)

5a6875a3a5605_darkskinnedchariotteamandheavyinfantryaxemen.thumb.jpg.181af6974e3ec85e8abe5e87d84cd5ac.jpg

Egyptian_Chariot_(colour).jpg.3d3a242c210a968cadc4a80244907c14.jpg

egyptian-chariot.thumb.png.5c6bac3f9900bcab51b9496ffa6ed2ca.png

Edited by Sundiata

@Sundiata I'm currently working on the Nubian oval shield textures. Based on the picture below, can we assume that those shields have cow hides that have one color? What if there are several cows that have huge patches in their hides? Don't you think it is possible that single colored cow hide shields were a thing in the past?

Having that in mind, I was thinking of having four variants based on my speculations

• All white
  • All black
  • All brown
  • All reddish brown

This will help in creating distinction in units though shield texture recognition

And who should use this then? Based on the picture, should we give these stuff to 2nd tier units?

What do you think? @wowgetoffyourcellphone @LordGood @Sundiata @stanislas69

dark skinned chariot team and heavy infantry axemen.jpg

33 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

can we assume that those shields have cow hides that have one color? What if there are several cows that have huge patches in their hides? Don't you think it is possible that single colored cow hide shields were a thing in the past?

Sure... But as you can see in most pictures the colours are mixed in with each-other. You could have one unit with solid colours (black & red), and another unit with patches (black & red), but not some shields with patches and some without in the same unit. I actually think the solid coloured versions are painted...

• All white  BEIGE 
  • All black
  • All brown
  • All reddish brown

Cool

And who should use this then? Based on the picture, should we give these stuff to 2nd tier units?

We should only use Egyptian style shields like that for:

• Napatan temple guard: but they get the leopard pelt
  • Apedemak's temple guards
  • pikemen, from the second tier going (but I was thinking to use the giraffe hides mixed with cow hides for them, both for small round shield and egyptian type shield, or maybe they could get the solid colours??)

So out of the citizen soldiers, only pikemen get those shields (remember we're not New-Kingdom period but Napatan and Meroitic). 

By the way, I found a second very clear image of that shield type being offered to the Egyptian pharaoh Ramesses II, by Kushites, along with other Kushite items exported to Egypt:

Shields in middle uppper section, with ebony logs, ivory, fans, ostrich eggs furniture, exotic pelts, bows, pottery, gold, slaves and exotic animals including a lion (those Kushite lions...) The guy on the far right is Amenemopet, the Viceroy of Kush.

Fresques-temple-de-Beit-el-Wali-expedition-Ramses-II--4-.thumb.jpg.f2a132e02febb41a62d232af90eb3d3d.jpg

Full image for context (Ramesses II subjugation of Kush), from Beit El Wali (Nubia):

5a68c7084c636_Wall_Painting_of_Temple_of_Beit_El-Wali_(Plaster_Cast)_which_Ramses_II_Constructed_in_Nubia_-_British_Museum.thumb.jpg.8ff192ebf868dbfca80d55c485c74c5c.jpg

Another possible horse crown variation. This is just a cutout from a public domain image (100 + year old). Don't know if this is useful or not?

5a68c9f7ed0a7_Kushitehorsecrownvariation5.png.a47a2f66a2b345cbfe0987c9919ea022.png

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Sure... But as you can see in most pictures the colours are mixed in with each-other. You could have one unit with solid colours (black & red), and another unit with patches (black & red), but not some shields with patches and some without in the same unit. I actually think the solid coloured versions are painted...

Can these variations be implemented in the Nubian oval shields as well?

I was thinking of giving the following:

Tier 1: Patches (Red + Black)

Tier 2: Solid (White + Black + Red + ?Light brown?)

Tier 3: Rhino + Leopard

Also, if we would use painted shields = solid full color

Just now, wackyserious said:

Can these variations be implemented in the Nubian oval shields as well?

I was thinking of giving the following:

Tier 1: Patches (Red + Black)

Tier 2: Solid (White + Black + Red + ?Light brown?)

Tier 3: Rhino + Leopard

This is not so good. Oval hide shields for the Nubian spearmen need to be white with black or red patches. Those are the only type of shields they get. Remember that these are the most basic citizen units and they're not supposed to be good units. No armour, inferior weapons... definitely no rhino or leopard stuff. Let the cheap units be cheap. Kush comes in to it's own with champion units, and good archers. The tiers will be defined by sashes and other adornments like necklaces and such, but the shields remain the same. 

Think of the Nubian and Nuba units as the most stereotype loincloth warriors. The urban elites with their fancy stuff appear among swordsmen and pikes, and the royals and nobles as champions. The King as hero can go all out, but you got them covered

Just now, wackyserious said:

Can lion skin be also used for elite ranks?

As a shield? I'm not sure. As a loin-pelt for higher ranking Nubians, yes.

• Like 1

@wackyserious Sorry, I think I see what you want. You want to make a New Kingdom heavy infantry unit like that chariot team with spearmen and solid coloured shields. The problem is we don't have a specific unit like that (Napatan temple guard kind of represents it though). I'm all for more units, but the current selection is already large, and there are other units that would have the prerogative I think, (like chariots).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

@Sundiata Got it, producing the unit roster is a collaborative effort, I'm consulting you and the others to avoid inaccuracies in the design :)

So no armor means, I have to replace the placeholder texture for the elite spearman (leopard loincloth + linen armor) with a bare-chested one?

I found this can be nice give some variety to the scales...but Im sure with low-res

And less radical. between like the spoiler.

Imagen relacionada

Spoiler

Cataphract_Scale_Armour_screen_01.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

These guys will have to go then. :)

Out of those guys, the guy on the far right is literally perfect for top tier Nubian spearman.. The only other variation for top tier Nubians that would be good is wowgetoofyourcellphones "Blemmye tunic" texture

kush_merc_cavalry_r_01.png.a8d7293b5a407aeab58388cd1c2e205a.png.e9dfb5cbef02cdf062e1e563941412de.png

kush_merc_cavalry_r_02.png.496036bf460ecfa683304b2fb4693fe6.png.1e6f2ee853ce2c6a12b2a0d1db1a15ce.png

6ee45a3b67254f6ffe8f63d9f9f0fe0d.jpg.d56e1a7be7b547d74fa44044d2c99849.jpg

876_001.thumb.jpg.2630b697c9adba15b53f45a4f518a4f7.jpg

These guys need to feel like the poorly armoured and poorly marshalled troops Strabo was referring to... 

Armour and fancy stuff is for heroes, champions and some quilted cotton for pikemen and swordsmen.. 

• Like 1