Ideas for unique technologies

borg-

On 10/11/2023 at 8:21 PM, alre said:

- what if it's a substantial temporary bonus for units that have just been trained (buff to reinforcements)

Another idea is to apply the bonus in own territory only. I don't know any bonuses that apply by territory, even in unreleased civs but maybe could be worth introducing this.

Example:
'Roman Roads
Cost 500 Stones, 300 Food
Own and allied units +1.5 Walk and Run speed, when in own territory; but enemy units in own territory +1 Walk and Run speed.'

Applying an absolute bonus value would in benefits slower units most (Siege, then Infantry, then Cavalry etc..), @zozio32.

1 hour ago, Atrik said:

Another idea is to apply the bonus in own territory only. I don't know any bonuses that apply by territory, even in unreleased civs but maybe could be worth introducing this.

Example:
'Roman Roads
Own and allied units +1.5 Walk and Run speed, when in own territory; but enemy units in own territory +1 Walk and Run speed.'

Applying an absolute bonus value would in benefits slower units most (Siege, then Infantry, then Cavalry etc..), @zozio32.

yep, absolute bonus should do well instead.  Question is, do all the units, even enemie's unit benefit from the road?

Edited by zozio32

1 hour ago, Atrik said:

Example:
'Roman Roads

someone should make a patch to make territory-specific bonus available. we lack that feature.

• Thanks 1

On 27/09/2023 at 6:33 PM, Carltonus said:

It has reasonable changes for the next alpha, but will the reformed Spartan Pikemen be of good use in the future? A further suggestion could be a forked technology for city phase: one for traditional and other reform; the latter will have the pikemen, walls, and three new heroes of the late era, among others. Another distinction for the Spartans!

Historically, Cleomenes III implemented several reforms which included increasing the number of Spartan citizens and introducing the sarissa to the army. Spartan pikemen could be an option unlocked by selecting him as a hero?

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/12/2023 at 4:45 PM, Grautvornix said:

DIdn't check in detail for all civs, but I believe once an enemy's CC (or barracks) has been captured you can train your own units (not the enemy type of units though).

Yes, I know.

But having one Civ getting the tech to incorporate conquered enemies (and consequently being able to recruite enemy units type in the conquered barracks/stables/ambassies/whatever) would be interesting imho.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/09/2023 at 3:05 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think the easiest thing to do would be to make formations unlockable with a special tech. For example, if you had a Hellenistic Reforms tech for the Spartans, it could simultaneously unlock Spartan pike units and unlock the Syntagma formation. 

This is the strongest problem with "formation bonuses" because the game still doesn't have hard formations (yet?). As you indicate, once the formation stops moving the soldiers go off and do their own thing. They are technically still in the same formation, but they path apart. 

The best way to simulate a formation bonus is to look at what Delenda Est does for Hoplites and Pikemen. It gives a small aura to these units which effects units around them:

{
	"type": "range",
	"radius": 2.5,
	"affects": ["Hoplite"],
	"affectedPlayers": ["Player", "Ally"],
	"modifications": [
		{"value": "Resistance/Entity/Damage/Hack", "add": 2},
		{"value": "Resistance/Entity/Damage/Pierce", "add": 2},
		{"value": "Resistance/Entity/Damage/Crush", "add": 2}
	],
	"auraName": "Shield Wall",
	"auraDescription": "Hoplite-style infantry give other Hoplite-style infantry +2 hack, +2 pierce, and +2 crush resistance within range of each other. This does not stack or multiply.",
	"overlayIcon": "art/textures/ui/session/auras/standground.png",
	"stackable": false
}
{
	"type": "range",
	"radius": 3,
	"affects": ["Infantry Pike"],
	"affectedPlayers": ["Player", "Ally"],
	"modifications": [
		{"value": "Attack/Melee/Damage/Hack", "multiply": 1.05},
		{"value": "Resistance/Entity/Damage/Hack", "add": 1},
		{"value": "Resistance/Entity/Damage/Pierce", "add": 1},
		{"value": "Resistance/Entity/Damage/Crush", "add": 1}
	],
	"auraName": "Massed Pikes",
	"auraDescription": "Player and allied Pike Infantry boost each others' attack by +5% within 3 meters. This effect 'stacks', so that the more Pike Infantry fighting together en mass, the more effective this becomes (+10%, +15%, +20% etc.). Resistance also increased +1 for all types.",
	"overlayIcon": "art/textures/ui/session/auras/attack_bonus.png",
	"stackable": true
}

Because the range of these auras is so small, it usually requires the Phalanx or Syntagma formations respectively in order for the auras to apply. 

Yes.

The  units should have a whole level of practice and development a tactical techniques in a form of technology.

Sometimes we forget technology with respect to military doctrine.

960px-Policy-to-engagement_en_svg.png.42758c05958542c1ff956ac3d6ecba63.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

@soloooy0

He has been asking for Soliferrum for Iberians for years.

Screenshot_20240212-220732.thumb.png.19183b34eb948b7304b91f7cb788dd07.png

It would be a good idea to implement this.

Soliferrum or Soliferreum (Latin: solus, "only" + ferrum, "Iron") was the Roman name for an ancient Iberian ranged pole weapon made entirely of iron. The soliferrum was a heavy hand-thrown javelin, designed to be thrown to a distance of up to 30 meters. In the Iberian language it was known as Saunion.

On 25/9/2023 at 5:05 PM, borg- said:

Hey guys,

We on the balance team are working on some gameplay improvements for the next alpha (27).
Our main objective is to bring some elements to differentiate civilizations from each other. We want to provide some incentive for players to step out of their comfort zone and usual strategies. Work is progressing and we appreciate if you can help us.
We would like to hear your ideas about unique technologies.

Be creative here and remember that the characteristics of 0 A.D. must be maintained, therefore it is necessary to respect the need for a correct historical context.

Remembering that technology can also be for more than one civilization, as happens with the "Hoplite Tradition", for example

Don't worry at first about the issue of balance, we can balance things, just focus on the idea at first.

I look forward to reading your ideas.

Thank you everyone and stay well :wub:

not sure why it's not already a thing but when you make a new cc/military colony or taking one, you should get a pop bonus 

The idea was planned for the abandoned idea of a territories game mod. As trac is down (again), I can only refer to archived pages: https://web.archive.org/web/20230325105612/https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Background%3A_Territories

I couldn't find tickets via Google Site Search. Therefore I guess, there's none for that idea-or I did a bad research.

• 3 weeks later...

Thumb rings for Kushites.

1133380595_images(4).jpg.02204a568ece7f787fad66f7cebf2eaf.jpg

Bonus for archery units.

Accuracy for shooting and faster firing.

It would be necessary to rebalance if they already shoot quickly.

https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Thumb_Ring

Ethiopians are the equivalent to Kushites.

The Ethiopian Archer line already fires 18% faster due to their civilization bonus and have access to Thumb Ring. As a result, they have the fastest firing foot archers in the game.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It's one of the reasons why I don't like ranged units firing so fast by default or being so accurate by default. We have no room for techs to increase firing rate or accuracy if they're already machine guns. 

When a new technology is introduced and there is no room to improve, it is best to downgrade the unit and the technology returns it to how it was before. 

We must downgrade the Kushite archer then upgraded by a tech.

With that change. I know how angry they are going to be with that change. 

The downgrade thing is good to introduce new technologies  and leave the units in their current state after going through technology.

For example, you say and it seems correct to me that the units have a lot of LoS.

The best thing would be to add one or 2 technologies (even more) to improve the LoS, but first the LOS would have to be reduced and then increased with new technologies to the current state.

How much is the current LoS?

How much is the actual kushite archer firing rating?

• Like 1