Alpha 27 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

0ad-obscuringclutter.jpg.227754acca45fcaeac8ed9af81512b47.jpg

I find it irritating that map eye candy/clutter (non selectable/harvestable) can obscure units; it won't show silhouettes either. Here it's Rhine Valley (Fall).

Edit: I also find it irritating if zooming messes with the silhouettes.

0ad-zoom1.jpg.eb55988dc1a9c4530ea0f8a2a452f682.jpg

Edited by Gurken Khan

@Gurken Khan This seems reminiscent of the following issue from a26 rc:

On 29/08/2022 at 5:07 PM, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

@Gurken Khan are the silhouettes consistently off for you or do they flicker? 

For me, they have been consistently off for all test versions since the winter testing bundle.

Basically, the OS (macOS, might have been Big sur iirc) of the computer burrito was using had some issue with silhouettes and @vladislavbelov was able to account for it.

Are you using an old(ish) operating system?

when this happened with me it was 0 silhouettes ever, just to clarify.

@Yekaterina and @real_tabasco_sauce ye I saw those eles lmao! Hopefully we can tweak ele values for that splash damage (maybe also max number of recipients of damage) before the official release of the alpha so we can avoid the community mod becoming a bugfix mod as it primarily served in a26. When people rely on the mod to have fun in the lobby (like in a26), it adds a lot of risk to experiments and new ideas

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

- I'm absolutely no fan of the change in the default behavior of units attacking buildings.

- The tooltip doesn't change when you send batches of resources (to an ally); it used to ~count up, "...500...", "...1000..." ...

Edit: I think it just looks different...

Edited by Gurken Khan

35 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

That would be fine if it was an equal trade, but in my test, only 1 ele died. I can make a patch, but maybe some games should be played first to get an idea of how much to nerf them.

Let's assume that the proportional scale of AoE units is 75 per player vs. the 300 of 0A.D.

It sounds consistent that 7.5 or so can handle a regular Elephant not counting Maurya's armored elephant.

16 minutes ago, causative said:

In what world does spearmen vs elephants matter? Elephants are used against buildings, and are killed by skirmishers, slingers, or archers.

It's not about combat counter...

It is a distractor unit that serves as a metashield or mattress to stop elephants.

You need a melee unit to keep the elephant busy.

But the logical thing to do is to stop the elephant with something so that it doesn't destroy your buildings.

While you kill it with counters.

20 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

It's not about combat counter...

It is a distractor unit that serves as a metashield or mattress to stop elephants.

You need a melee unit to keep the elephant busy.

But the logical thing to do is to stop the elephant with something so that it doesn't destroy your buildings.

While you kill it with counters.

In that case (if you block the elephant with spearmen) it still doesn't matter how long the spearmen take to kill it, because your ranged units are going to deal most of the damage to the elephant.

15 minutes ago, causative said:

In that case (if you block the elephant with spearmen) it still doesn't matter how long the spearmen take to kill it, because your ranged units are going to deal most of the damage to the elephant.

Matters.

For example if an elephant can go with 16 esperman it would be very pathetic if ub melee group like spearman or pikeman could not handle an elephant.

And the other thing is historical accuracy.

Another reason it matters is because they are simply the default infantry unit.

Historical logic says that a large group should be able to handle the elephant...

Another good reason is that the battering ram already serves a function of not being so easily held by spearman infantry or pikemen.

Especially for the pikemen.

Neither elephant was a very powerful unit as you could imagine not even armored.

In a one on one combat elephant should obviously win.

But in a combat against a good infantry group the infantry should win. For obvious reasons don't expect the infantry to keep hitting and hitting and hitting.

Another reason is that most factions that have elephants have archers.

So therefore it would be quite easy to wipe out the infantry major in a few seconds.

In fact a good Rush Maurya could easily wipe out almost any army.