New Mechanic for A28.

Gyokko上弦

ESPAÑOL:

¡Hola a todos jugadores! Hoy les traigo una mecánica que creo que sería muy positiva para la Alpha 28 y darle a 0 A.D. un toque mas diferencial y atractivo.

Durante la antigüedad, los dioses y divinidades siempre han estado muy presentes en la sociedad humana, y se les atribuían algunos sucesos inexplicables para la época. Por este motivo, he tenido la idea de implementar en el juego unas habilidades extras de única utilización en cada partida, únicas para cada civilización.

Estas habilidades no costarían tiempo ni recursos, estarían disponibles en P3 a través de un botón y serían otorgables por los dioses.

He estado trabajando en estas habilidades durante bastante tiempo, y he tratado de balancearlas para que no desequilibren el juego, sino todo lo contrario, que le den al juego un mayor toque de estrategia y frenetismo.

Aquí les dejo mi propuesta:

Iberos: "Caparazón de piedra": Durante 30 segundos, los edificios tienen un 50% más de salud y puntos de captura.
Espartanos: "Pasión por la lucha": Durante 30 segundos, la infantería causa un 35% más de daño.
Ptolemaicos: "Progreso científico": La siguiente mejora que realices no requiere tiempo ni recursos.
Seleúcidas: "Expansión veloz": El siguiente Centro Cívico que construyas no requiere recursos ni tiempo de construcción.
Hans: "Cosecha divina": Durante un minuto, los trabajadores de arroz de todas las civilizaciones Hans aliadas trabajan 3 veces más rápido.
Macedonios: "Ingeniería de espacio": Durante 45 segundos, las máquinas de asedio propias ocupan solo un espacio en la población.
Romanos: "Cultura politeísta": Puedes elegir el poder divino que desees.
Bretones: "Velocidad en apuros": Durante un minuto, los edificios tardan un 50% menos en construirse, y requieren un 50% menos de recursos.
Galos: "Frenetismo": Durante 45 segundos, las tropas de infantería son un 30% más rápidas.
Persia: "Molestia temporal": Reduce las fronteras enemigas un 20% durante un minuto.
Kushites: "Abundancia divina": Aumenta las fronteras aliadas un 20% durante un minuto.
Maurianos: "Capitalismo desmedido": Durante 30 segundos, los mercaderes no requieren recursos.
Cartaginenses: "Fallo mecánico": Los arietes enemigos producen un 50% menos de daño.

Para poder utilizar estas habilidades, el jugador en cuestión debe estar en posesión de un mínimo de 2 templos.   

Muchas gracias por leer esta propuesta. Estaría encantado de escuchar vuestras opiniones. :D 

ENGLISH:

Hello everyone, gamers! Today I bring you a mechanic that I believe would be very positive for Alpha 28 and give 0 A.D. a more distinctive and attractive touch.

Throughout antiquity, gods and divinities have always been very present in human society, and some inexplicable events were attributed to them for the time. For this reason, I have had the idea of implementing in the game some extra one-time use abilities in each game, unique to each civilization.

These abilities would not cost time or resources, would be available in P3 through a button, and would be granted by the gods.

I have been working on these abilities for quite some time, and I have tried to balance them so that they do not unbalance the game, but on the contrary, that they give the game a greater touch of strategy and frenzy.

Here is my proposal:

Iberians: "Stone Shell": For 30 seconds, buildings have 50% more health and capture points.
Spartans: "Passion for Battle": For 30 seconds, infantry deals 35% more damage.
Ptolemaics: "Scientific Progress": The next upgrade you make does not require time or resources.
Seleucids: "Swift Expansion": The next Civic Center you build does not require resources or construction time.
Hans: "Divine Harvest": For one minute, rice workers from all allied Hans civilizations work 3 times faster.
Macedonians: "Space Engineering": For 45 seconds, your own siege machines only occupy one population space.
Romans: "Polytheistic Culture": You can choose the divine power you want.
Britons: "Quickness in Need": For one minute, buildings take 50% less time to construct and require 50% fewer resources.
Gauls: "Frenzy": For 45 seconds, infantry troops are 30% faster.
Persia: "Temporary Annoyance": Reduces enemy borders by 20% for one minute.
Kushites: "Divine Abundance": Increases allied borders by 20% for one minute.
Mauryans: "Unbridled Capitalism": For 30 seconds, merchants do not require resources.
Carthaginians: "Mechanical Failure": Enemy rams deal 50% less damage.

To use these abilities, the player in question must possess a minimum of 2 temples.

Thank you very much for reading this proposal. I would be happy to hear your opinions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gurken Khan said:

As 0AD is supposed to be based on historicity and those "inexplicable events" are poorly documented, I am very skeptical about introducing divine interventions to the vanilla game. As a mod: whatever you like.

Well, in that case It can be treated as a bonus like the ones we already have.

Must be careful adding mechanics that in such a severe way completely transform the game.
Balancing it would be near impossible, this would add to the game variability/luck relevance increase.

hard to strike a balance of not completely breaking the game/ruining it with transformative additions vs not keeping it dull and repettetive, and adding new mechanics.
Overall, def any significant change should get tested for a month or 2 at the very least, in community mod, not by new version test version "testers" as 95% or more of players are not gonna participate in that.

1 hour ago, Gyokko上弦 said:

Persia: "Temporary Annoyance": Reduces enemy borders by 20% for one minute.
Kushites: "Divine Abundance": Increases allied borders by 20% for one minute.

1 hour ago, Gyokko上弦 said:

I'm afraid I didn't understand this. What is being reduced?

I think your idea is good and I have seen it in other games, but lets make them all similar as currently some civilisations have much better bonuses than others. The Spartan bonus is much better than everyone else.

btw I have to think of Jericho the whole time. While some believe the walls were brought down by magic horns (trumpets, whatever)/divine intervention, I think it's much more likely that while some put on a show with a procession and music that secretly miners were working on bringing those walls down.

I think one-click bonuses like this are not conducive to good gameplay. I think strategies and civ bonuses should require more planning, timing, and costs than a quick click. I think these bonuses are hard to balance and the short activation/ duration of the tech makes them kind of gimmicky.

I do agree that temples could be a great source of civ diversification, and that their utility cases and value are nearly the same for all civs with some exceptions such as Kush and Gauls.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yo estoy más a favor de usar la religión como bonus cultural en tecnologías y representado también en los sitios sagrados y reliquias.

La religión se pueden observar en los escudos de mucha facciones y civilizaciones.

Similar a AoE incluso mejor.

Screenshot_20230405-113730.png.50dd8628a7843ae8166f6a4b04133c55.png

English:

I am more in favor of using religion as a cultural bonus in technologies and represented also in sacred sites and relics.

Religion can be seen on the shields of many factions and civilizations.

Similar to AoE even better

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I guess: This sounds like AOE4 and that's bad.

yes, AOE4 has a lot of gameplay involving 1-time use powers or monument powers. Ie. britons have a monument that instantly heals all nearby buildings at the click of a button. AOE3 did this too, where you could regularly count on getting to use shipments of resources or units.

These kinds of gameplay mechanics generally feel really gimmicky and cheap.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

yes, AOE4 has a lot of gameplay involving 1-time use powers or monument powers. Ie. britons have a monument that instantly heals all nearby buildings at the click of a button. AOE3 did this too, where you could regularly count on getting to use shipments of resources or units.

Some mechanics are not very immersive.

Empire Earth 2 had something according to the faction group.

https://ee.heavengames.com/ee2h/gameinfo/regions/

13 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

The cards at least add a level of meta that is currently lacking in 0 a.d.

I personally don't think one time use powers are gimmicky. How they are used and their timing can be very strategic, especially if they are limited.

But I'd rather have something like what I call "Policies" that affect how units behave. So imagine once you train a hero, you get a number if buttons in the hero's UI that set Policies, such as Plunder, Massacre, etc. that dictate what your units do. So, plunder could make your units default to destroying buildings instead of capturing them. The opposite policy would default your units to capturing instead if destroying. Things like that. There could be a small set of standard policies for all civs and heroes, and then perhaps 1 custom policy per hero or civ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Sounds interesting but could be better.

Some things could be like in mythology in the sense that instead of divine powers they are political, social or religious.

The powers could grant boost advantages to the troops.

I remember in Imperator of Rome how terrible it was to loot temples. It almost led to revenge on your opponents it would be like a modern war crime.

Looting mode could have bonuses, there could be another one called civic revenge and another religious revenge. Like that of the Gallic invasion of Rome the "Vae victis".

There could be another one that revolts the people of the enemy for a while. Like that of the slave rebellions.

There could be other empire Earth 2 also had a way that you earned crowns and the crowns gave you bonuses.

All this would depend on the score.

https://empireearth.fandom.com/wiki/Crown_(Empire_Earth_II)

We could do it without crowns with the Score.

It would be a mix between the AoE III card deck, the mythology powers (mostly the GUI) and the EE2 crowns.

Resources-770x578.jpg.f83e112d969c694f7ebb0b4d82e55aeb.jpg

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I personally don't think one time use powers are gimmicky.

Maybe not in casual play in single player. But in AOE3 for example if I am raiding the enemy and they instantly spawn 5 cannons at the cc, I consider that cheesy. I once watched a little bit of competitive aoe3 and its very lame, with commentators talking half the time about what cards each player can draw. In a way, the card deck takes a solid percent of the game's strategy away from actual gameplay (training units, raiding, eco, researching). The same goes for monument powers in AOE4. The 'strategy' in that game is largely the following: Do i pick monument A or monument B? Overall it is very inorganic, inauthentic feeling.

I think it is wise to steer clear of these 'card deck' approaches, and instead add/modify technologies, units, civs, and civ bonuses for additional features.

• Like 1