Use the therm "phusis" in place of "gaia"

Saatamia

Just my 2 cents on this, I searched quickly and "phusis" apparently means something like "nature", if that is the cause I don't think "gaia" is used simply because it is greek, if it was just for the meaning then simply "nature" in each native language would do it. I think the use of "gaia" is more because of its connotation of mother earth, as she is the originator of all life in mythology, also it is used in other famous games, people are used to it, and to me it seems like it is the name of a "player" controlling that "color", much like sometimes specific historic figure names are used in scenarios for certain colors.

• Like 4

We can call it neutral instead of Gaia. When I first played the game my cav had a fight with a boar and when the " you have been attacked by gaia" message popped up I thought Gaia was another player and enemy, so I sent a whole army to fight with the animals instead of the actual enemy. :D

Gaia does sound more fit for the settings but for people like me who are not educated in mythology, "neutral" would save a lot of confusion.

• Haha 1

I think 'Gaia' is fine.

1 minute ago, Yekaterina said:

We can call it neutral instead of Gaia. When I first played the game my cav had a fight with a boar and when the " you have been attacked by gaia" message popped up

'You have been attacked by Neutral' and having 'Neutral' enemies would be better?

Neutral is already used in diplomacy as faction who doesn't attack you. Gaia attacks you. 

I like @Yekaterina's the wilderness idea. While I like the idea behind Gaia name I do think it's unfair to other non Greek civs.

@LetswaveaBook unaffiliated force is interesting idea. I think its suitable for human factions. This is similar to Total War 's Rebels/Free People. I always think that hostile human and animal should have separate faction from Gaia. So these should be separate factions from the wilderness. 

I just think it's weird that wolves attack our people and livestock but ignore the Gaia deer and mercenary. 

3 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

While I like the idea behind Gaia name I do think it's unfair to other non Greek civs.

Greeks and other civs get attacked by Gaia alike, so that's fair. Or did you mean the ancients? I'd say let's handle that when they complain. ;)

7 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

@LetswaveaBook unaffiliated force is interesting idea. I think its suitable for human factions. This is similar to Total War 's Rebels/Free People. I always think that hostile human and animal should have separate faction from Gaia. So these should be separate factions from the wilderness. 

I just think it's weird that wolves attack our people and livestock but ignore the Gaia deer and mercenary. 

On Elephantine (? Has it been removed in a25?) humans, lions and crocodiles chill together until a player comes along, giving me a real Gaia vibe. Anyway, I don't know if it would add anything to the gameplay if we differentiate the herbivores, carnivores and free/wild humans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

Also @wowgetoffyourcellphoneI hope at least aggresive animal should have its UnitAI modified to allow them to hunt anything regardless of ownership.

Right, but I think it may need some additional thinking here on how to do it, since Gaia is a "player" and you can't attack your own units. Perhaps aggressive animals can be placed under a 2nd "Gaia2" player so that these animals can attack Gaia1 animals.

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Right, but I think it may need some additional thinking here on how to do it, since Gaia is a "player" and you can't attack your own units. Perhaps aggressive animals can be placed under a 2nd "Gaia2" player so that these animals can attack Gaia1 animals.

Yeah, and you could rng it what predators belong to what pack/pride and have'em attack each other! And the point being what?