• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They weren't included in A24 for various reasons but I think it's time for A25 even if they are not 100% perfect. There will be more incentive to make them better if they are in the game than if

Update on the fortress.

Many thanks to @Stan` for creating this mod. It would be great if we can integrate Han as a formal civ into the next release A25 as they had been a major player in the world's history around 0AD. Hope

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'm not saying they need remodeled. I'm just saying there are examples of bixies used in art and jewelry from the 2 Han periods. :) 

Yeah I originally started with that exact photo... Then well, you know...stuff

9 hours ago, Lopess said:

As I understand it, the Han did not use stones in their architecture. So would a modification of the main texture to a mud clay work?

Clay? No, rammed earth is a fundamentally different technique than mud brick or adobe. I vaguely recall discussing that in the other thread.

9 hours ago, Lopess said:

A positive point is that the existing structures can be added to the Millennium A.D., thus missing only new units: D (or not?)

The existing structures are not really representative for the Tang dynasty (AD 618–907) either, however, historical accuracy is less important for mods, so feel free to (re)use them in Millennium A.D. Here's a suggestion for an appropiate wonder, the (fired-brick) Giant Wild Goose Pagoda in Xi'an:

Spoiler
ChinaTrip2005-110.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bixie (píxiū) as a mythological animal (a winged lion-griffin-chimaera), yes, that certainly existed in Han China. The Parthians are known to have gifted lions to the Han court, which probably contributed to their popularity. Two more examples of Han statuettes (both under 10 cm), one jade, one bronze:

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6268189

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/823655

Bixies as an architectural element is a quite different story, though. Here's how they're used in the 0 A.D. Han mod:

Spoiler

bixie.thumb.jpg.5c691dbb356a0086d96fca1198392052.jpg

One detail that particularly struck me is that stone orb. It's important to realize the dragon, bixie, qilin, and guardian lion are all distinct animals. In more recent times, Chinese guardian lions (shī) were erected in pairs in front of government buildings, the left one the female (yīn) with a cub under her left pawn, the right one the male (yáng) with a cloth ball under its right pawn. I don't know of any bixies with a ball. Nor of large stone animals in front of Han-dynasty government buildings. If you do, please let me know.

To summarize, while it's a nice detail, it got the details wrong.

I'm not advocating simply removing the stone bixies from the structure: the stone platform and the stone stairs are problematic too. I don't see an easy fix here.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nescio said:

the left one the female (yīn) with a cub under her left pawn, the right one the male (yáng) with a cloth ball under its right pawn

... which with limited vertices have roughly the shape of a sphere.

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

I'm not advocating simply removing the stone bixies from the structure: the stone platform and the stone stairs are problematic too. I don't see an easy fix here.

Is the issue the snake line pattern? Or that the stairs are made from stone? Pretty sure they used stone for the base of buildings even back then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sent the buildings with the lanterns removed to the github. In my mod business I did an editing on the han texture just as an example of what can be done, I will not ask for a merger because I believe that an artist with more experience will achieve a texture much better than my attempt.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Thanks guys I am no good at art. 

It's never too late to start. You'd be surprised at what you can achieve in Blender in about three or four weeks.

My old high school drafting teacher was quite forceful in saying it was not art but a precise picture of an actual object that was used to duplicate it.He came out of an architectural practice.All that said @m7600is quite right and if you add makehuman you have most things covered.

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

My old high school drafting teacher was quite forceful in saying it was not art but a precise picture of an actual object that was used to duplicate it.He came out of an architectural practice.All that said @m7600is quite right and if you add makehuman you have most things covered.

Enjoy the Choice :)

MakeHuman is amazing, I always recommend it to people. I still can't believe that it's essentially a Python script. You've got some true Pythonistas working on the MakeHuman team.

@Lopess I downloaded your version as well. I like the texture that you gave them, the colors look good. If I understood correctly, rammed earth should have several layers or levels. I'll see what I can do about that during the weekend. Meanwhile, I think this texture could be used for that.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot showing the texture that Lopess added, I think it looks good.

Screenshot from 2021-04-27 22-52-55.png

Edited by m7600
screeshot
  • Like 5

Yes, they should have this levels, but my 2D art skills are very noobs. I believe that replacing the dragon flag with something similar to what was proposed by Yekaterina would be a good one too. :)

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

If I understood correctly, rammed earth should have several layers or levels. I'll see what I can do about that during the weekend. Meanwhile, I think this texture could be used for that.

https://cc0textures.com/view?id=Ground010

https://cc0textures.com/view?id=Ground017

One of these 2 could work if turned so that the grain is horizontal. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

https://cc0textures.com/view?id=Ground010

https://cc0textures.com/view?id=Ground017

One of these 2 could work if turned so that the grain is horizontal. 

Those could work. My idea wasn't to simply add the texture "as is", but to add it to a subdivided plane mesh, sculpted to make it look like it has layers, and then exporting that as an image. Here's a quick example showing what I mean.

Screenshot from 2021-04-28 00-50-38.png

• Like 2
2 hours ago, m7600 said:

@Lopess I downloaded your version as well. I like the texture that you gave them, the colors look good. If I understood correctly, rammed earth should have several layers or levels. I'll see what I can do about that during the weekend. Meanwhile, I think this texture could be used for that.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot showing the texture that Lopess added, I think it looks good.

Screenshot from 2021-04-27 22-52-55.png

@Lopess  could be used for Mesoamerican mods. It's just changing tones.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Those could work. My idea wasn't to simply add the texture "as is", but to add it to a subdivided plane mesh, sculpted to make it look like it has layers, and then exporting that as an image. Here's a quick example showing what I mean.

Screenshot from 2021-04-28 00-50-38.png

Looks good. I just think the roughness is a bit much. I think it would be smoother.

5 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Looks good. I just think the roughness is a bit much. I think it would be smoother.

True, but that's just a close up. In the actual game that square would be much smaller. The roughness would barely be noticeable. Quick and dirty example:

1853430239_Screenshotfrom2021-04-2801-15-43.thumb.png.a527bcff5692bc458251fd67677f1130.png

But I'll run some tests later this weekend with the textures that you linked.

• Like 1