new unit : musicians

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, Helicity said:

Other civs can also use something like the Gaul trumpeters.

I can't hear the Gaul  trumpeters playing their instrument, it would be good to have some sound implemented for them.

I don't know if we have volunteers specialized in sound.

This is the current maximum limitation.

Here you would need a soundman or a musician.

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

don't know if we have volunteers specialized in sound.

This is the current maximum limitation.

Here you would need a soundman or a musician.

We don't. We can just use whatever sound effect files we already have, then make the trumpeter blast those sound effects when it is attacking. We can also give it special sounds when it is trained. 

This is easily doable by modifying the template of the Gaul swordsman. 

also it's possible to download things from freesound. 

1 hour ago, Yekaterina said:

We don't. We can just use whatever sound effect files we already have, then make the trumpeter blast those sound effects when it is attacking. We can also give it special sounds when it is trained. 

This is easily doable by modifying the template of the Gaul swordsman. 

also it's possible to download things from freesound. 

Currently I can modify the current ones.

Apart from the flavor, musicians were important for cohesion and synchronicity (mostly march synchronicity AFAIK, but also a little bit for synchronicity of attacks).

So as long as 0ad doesn't use an "orders" system, musicians would not be a very important addition to the game.

On 28/04/2023 at 12:57 PM, LienRag said:

Apart from the flavor, musicians were important for cohesion and synchronicity (mostly march synchronicity AFAIK, but also a little bit for synchronicity of attacks).

So as long as 0ad doesn't use an "orders" system, musicians would not be a very important addition to the game.

Musicians would be a great addition if the game had hard battalions. You could upgrade your battalions individually to have Musicians, Officers, etc., which give bonuses to that battalion. 

Else, without hard battalions, you could get rid of heroes as trainable units and divide their auras and bonuses amongst new Officer and Musician unit types. 

• Like 2

To be fair, I think it would be fine to add some war drums sound effects without an actual musical unit. In a large army, you don't have to actually have this unit, but the sound can still add to the ambiance.

how/when to trigger the sound though might be tricky.

I will say that the one musical unit we do have should get a little sound XD.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 2