0abc mod

Nescio

0abc updated. Changes include:

• re-enabled blacksmith, available in village phase, moved all gather technologies to it
    • city phase requires a blacksmith, a market, a temple, and ten houses
  • reduced elephant armour
  • Nabatean camel archer, Blemmye camel javelinist, Nuba infantry clubman, and Nuba infantry javelinist are now civ-independent, which means they can be trained by anyone who captures a corresponding mercenary camp
  • Carthage can upgrade houses (front row) to apartment blocks (back row) in town phase

Screenshot from 2019-05-08 15-40-28.png

In my mod women have a ranged attack (5 crush damage, 15 m range) instead of a melee attack (charging at fully armed soldiers is quite suicidal). However, they lack animations; perhaps someone from the art team (@Alexandermb) is willing to create a ranged attack for slaves and female citizens? It's not urgent, but it would be nice to have eventually. Ideally they would pick up stones from the ground and throw them at the enemy. King Pyrrhus of Epirus was reportedly killed by a rooftile an old woman hurled at him.

4 minutes ago, Nescio said:

In my mod women have a ranged attack (5 crush damage, 15 m range) instead of a melee attack (charging at fully armed soldiers is quite suicidal). However, they lack animations; perhaps someone from the art team (@Alexandermb) is willing to create a ranged attack for slaves and female citizens? It's not urgent, but it would be nice to have eventually. Ideally they would pick up stones from the ground and throw them at the enemy. King Pyrrhus of Epirus was reportedly killed by a rooftile an old woman hurled at him.

Sounds good, perphaps use some of the motion of the slinger animation but replace only some frames.

5 hours ago, Nescio said:

King Pyrrhus of Epirus was reportedly killed by a rooftile an old woman hurled at him.

4 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Resultado de imagen para death pyrrhus

This is gold :lmao: Apparently the old woman that threw the tile was the mother of the soldier that King Pyrrhus was fighting :lmao:

Somebody should make a movie about this guy's life...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

0abc updated again:

• removed resource loot from structures
  • changed unit training queues:
    • women (and brit war dogs) at houses
    • infantry citizen-soldiers at civic centres
    • infantry mercenaries at military colony (ptol, sele), embassy hall (cart, gree, mace, pers), and mercenary camps (kush, pers, ptol, sele)
    • infantry champions at barracks (now city phase structure)
    • all cavalry and bigae at cavalry stable
    • all elephantry at elephant stable
    • all siege engines and quadrigae at workshop
  • Seleucids can upgrade their centre in town phase:1827764852_Screenshotfrom2019-05-1411-41-21.thumb.png.abb0b5582b96b59bbb2c9c63d9daf987.png
  • various minor tweaks and corrections

To do: teach AI to build more than two barracks and one elephant stable (because the elephants are limited to 5 times the number of elephant stables).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

mercenary camps

originally the mercenary camps must be  to  provide local  militia (trash units) and mercenary elite units and provide civ mercenary units, similar to total war and AoE III mercenaries.

you cab recruit locals and your faction auxiliars. 

16 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

originally the mercenary camps must be  to  provide local  militia (trash units) and mercenary elite units and provide civ mercenary units, similar to total war and AoE III mercenaries.

you cab recruit locals and your faction auxiliars. 

0 A.D. does not really distinguish between auxiliaries, locals, and elite mercenaries.

I implement things slightly differently: citizen-soldiers can gather and build, mercenaries can build but can not gather, champions can neither build nor gather.

Furthermore, embassy hall (own territory) and military colony (territory root) allow training any {civ}_infantry_*_mercenary, whereas mercenary camps (no territory) have hard-coded units:

• kush can build a Blemmye camp; anyone who captures it can train blemmye_camel_javelinist
  • gree, mace, and ptol can build Greek camp; anyone who captures it can train greek_infantry_spearman, cretan_infantry_archer, and rhodian_infantry_slinger
  • kush can build a Nuba camp; anyone who captures it can train nuba_infantry_javelinist and nuba_infantry_maceman
  • pers, ptol, and sele can build a Nabatean camp; anyone who captures it can train nabatean_camel_archer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nescio said:

0 A.D. does not really distinguish between auxiliaries, locals, and elite mercenaries.

I implement things slightly differently: citizen-soldiers can gather and build, mercenaries can build but can not gather, champions can neither build nor gather.

Furthermore, embassy hall (own territory) and military colony (territory root) allow training any {civ}_infantry_*_mercenary, whereas mercenary camps (no territory) have hard-coded units:

• kush can build a Blemmye camp; anyone who captures it can train blemmye_camel_javelinist
  • gree, mace, and ptol can build Greek camp; anyone who captures it can train greek_infantry_spearman, cretan_infantry_archer, and rhodian_infantry_slinger
  • kush can build a Nuba camp; anyone who captures it can train nuba_infantry_javelinist and nuba_infantry_maceman
  • pers, ptol, and sele can build a Nabatean camp; anyone who captures it can train nabatean_camel_archer

in this moment.  yes I know this 0 ABC mod. but only the idea I suggest.

2 hours ago, Nescio said:

Having more neutral mercenary camps (e.g. Bactrian, Celtic, Indian, Libyan, Thracian) for use in specific maps would be nice.

I haven't figured out how to make units trainable by all civs (such as a unit trainable from a captured merc camp) be able to build the owner's correct buildings. Have you figured this out yet? I'm not sure it's possible without making a version of every merc for every civ (an explosion in the number of templates).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I haven't figured out how to make units trainable by all civs (such as a unit trainable from a captured merc camp) be able to build the owner's correct buildings. Have you figured this out yet? I'm not sure it's possible without making a version of every merc for every civ (an explosion in the number of templates). 

Now that there is two possible option in unit production queue (civ or native), it sounds like it's easy to do that.

Just have fixed name for the mercenaries (not {civ}_), you need only one template by merc(I just noticed there are issues in buildings)

https://youtu.be/76KRlBCtKJ4

Edited by fatherbushido
display as link instead of vid

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Well, I don't know about you, but I'd like to keep things simple and avoid unnecessary duplication.

To start with, I listed all buildable structures in `template_unit_infantry.xml`:

Spoiler

<Builder>
    <Rate>1.0</Rate>
    <Entities datatype="tokens">
      structures/{civ}/centre
      structures/{civ}/house
      structures/{civ}/field
      structures/{civ}/farmstead
      structures/{civ}/storehouse
      structures/{civ}/dock
      structures/{civ}/market
      structures/{civ}/blacksmith
      structures/{civ}/temple
      structures/{civ}/wonder

structures/{civ}/outpost
      structures/{civ}/small_tower
      structures/{civ}/large_tower
      structures/{civ}/fortress
      structures/wallset_palisade
      structures/wallset_siege
      structures/{civ}/wallset_city
      structures/{civ}/barracks
      structures/{civ}/stable
      structures/{civ}/workshop

structures/{civ}/shipyard
      structures/{civ}/naval_base
      structures/{civ}/crannog
      structures/{civ}/colony
      structures/{civ}/palace
      structures/{civ}/palace_2
      structures/{civ}/army_camp
      structures/{civ}/chariot_stable
      structures/{civ}/elephant_stable
      structures/{civ}/hall
      structures/{civ}/pillar
      structures/{civ}/rotarymill
      structures/{civ}/library
      structures/{civ}/lighthouse
      structures/{civ}/theatre
    </Entities>
  </Builder>

The first twenty structures exist for all civilizations, the rest exist only for one or some factions, but not all. This removes the need specify additional structures inside specific templates (e.g. crannog in brit infantry or pillar in maur), something which is easy to forget.

The next step was to create some neutral mercenaries (e.g. `cretan_infantry_archer.xml`), because I disliked maintaining separate virtually identical files (e.g. copies for gree, mace, ptol): https://github.com/0abc/0abc-a23/tree/master/simulation/templates/units/merc

Then I created neutral mercenary camps with hardcoded units, e.g. `nuba_camp.xml`:

Spoiler

<ProductionQueue>
      units/merc/nuba_infantry_maceman
      units/merc/nuba_infantry_javelinist
    </Entities>
  </ProductionQueue>

This means anyone who controls the camp can train those two units.

Finally, because I don't want to touch maps, I made mercenary camps buildable to units of specific factions, e.g. `kush/infantry_archer.xml`:

Spoiler

<Builder>
      structures/blemmye_camp
      structures/nuba_camp
    </Entities>
  </Builder>

As a result this unit can build the following structures:

Spoiler

967598082_Screenshotfrom2019-05-1513-19-36.thumb.png.1872ef2c60a382422b658cca9e8a34d5.png

20 structures that exist for all factions (centre to workshop) + 2 from the list that exist only for some (shipyard, elephant stable) + 2 hardcoded specifically (Blemmye and Nuba camps).

And the Nuba mercenaries can build the structures that exist for their current owner:

Spoiler

1063692496_Screenshotfrom2019-05-1513-19-48.thumb.png.572c1e4f9185b6544e1b88fa8b1fc9d4.png

Third row would be different if recruited by a different faction.

I don't use the {native} tag anywhere.

4 hours ago, Nescio said:

Well, I don't know about you, but I'd like to keep things simple and avoid unnecessary duplication.

To start with, I listed all buildable structures in `template_unit_infantry.xml`:

Reveal hidden contents

<Builder>
    <Rate>1.0</Rate>
      structures/{civ}/centre
      structures/{civ}/house
      structures/{civ}/field
      structures/{civ}/farmstead
      structures/{civ}/storehouse
      structures/{civ}/dock
      structures/{civ}/market
      structures/{civ}/blacksmith
      structures/{civ}/temple
      structures/{civ}/wonder

structures/{civ}/outpost
      structures/{civ}/small_tower
      structures/{civ}/large_tower
      structures/{civ}/fortress
      structures/wallset_palisade
      structures/wallset_siege
      structures/{civ}/wallset_city
      structures/{civ}/barracks
      structures/{civ}/stable
      structures/{civ}/workshop

structures/{civ}/shipyard
      structures/{civ}/naval_base
      structures/{civ}/crannog
      structures/{civ}/colony
      structures/{civ}/palace
      structures/{civ}/palace_2
      structures/{civ}/army_camp
      structures/{civ}/chariot_stable
      structures/{civ}/elephant_stable
      structures/{civ}/hall
      structures/{civ}/pillar
      structures/{civ}/rotarymill
      structures/{civ}/library
      structures/{civ}/lighthouse
      structures/{civ}/theatre
    </Entities>
  </Builder>

The first twenty structures exist for all civilizations, the rest exist only for one or some factions, but not all. This removes the need specify additional structures inside specific templates (e.g. crannog in brit infantry or pillar in maur), something which is easy to forget.

The next step was to create some neutral mercenaries (e.g. `cretan_infantry_archer.xml`), because I disliked maintaining separate virtually identical files (e.g. copies for gree, mace, ptol): https://github.com/0abc/0abc-a23/tree/master/simulation/templates/units/merc

Then I created neutral mercenary camps with hardcoded units, e.g. `nuba_camp.xml`:

Hide contents

<ProductionQueue>
      units/merc/nuba_infantry_maceman
      units/merc/nuba_infantry_javelinist
    </Entities>
  </ProductionQueue>

This means anyone who controls the camp can train those two units.

Finally, because I don't want to touch maps, I made mercenary camps buildable to units of specific factions, e.g. `kush/infantry_archer.xml`:

Reveal hidden contents

<Builder>
      structures/blemmye_camp
      structures/nuba_camp
    </Entities>
  </Builder>

As a result this unit can build the following structures:

Hide contents

967598082_Screenshotfrom2019-05-1513-19-36.thumb.png.1872ef2c60a382422b658cca9e8a34d5.png

20 structures that exist for all factions (centre to workshop) + 2 from the list that exist only for some (shipyard, elephant stable) + 2 hardcoded specifically (Blemmye and Nuba camps).

And the Nuba mercenaries can build the structures that exist for their current owner:

Hide contents

1063692496_Screenshotfrom2019-05-1513-19-48.thumb.png.572c1e4f9185b6544e1b88fa8b1fc9d4.png

Third row would be different if recruited by a different faction.

I don't use the {native} tag anywhere.

Um thanks for all that, but I did all that 3 years ago. Just wondering if the game solved the issue yet where a mercenary trained from such a structure would build the buildings of its owner and not the mercs base civ. I'll just look at the template in your mod, thnx.

9 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Um thanks for all that, but I did all that 3 years ago. Just wondering if the game solved the issue yet where a mercenary trained from such a structure would build the buildings of its owner and not the mercs base civ. I'll just look at the template in your mod, thnx.

Yes, {civ} is the owner's, {native} is the unit's; see the links fatherbushido posted.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Yes, {civ} is the owner's, {native} is the unit's; see the links fatherbushido posted.

Thanks, got it working. All we both need now is a variety of merc camp models, eh? 

{civ} didn't used to work that way, and in fact didn't work that way the last time I tried making mercs like this, but now it does. Probably has for a while, just never got around to trying it again. (y) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Thanks, got it working. All we both need now is a variety of merc camp models, eh? 

{civ} didn't used to work that way, and in fact didn't work that way the last time I tried making mercs like this, but now it does. Probably has for a while, just never got around to trying it again. (y) 

time  to no see @Stan`  model a building.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 3 weeks later...

0 A.D. pretends to focus on the 500-1 BC timeframe; its coverage of the 5th and 4th C is decent (although Syracusae is missing), the 3rd C is great, but the 2nd and 1st C are incomplete (Parthia, Armenia, and Han China peaked here). However, having more of the same is not always an improvement, so I'm currently contemplating reducing the number of available factions to eight (Carthage, Rome, Gauls, Macedon, Seleucids, Mauryas, Ptolemies, Kush). This would allow removing diachronisms and make it easier to differentiate factions. I'm posting here because I haven't decided yet; thoughts?

55 minutes ago, Nescio said:

0 A.D. pretends to focus on the 500-1 BC timeframe; its coverage of the 5th and 4th C is decent (although Syracusae is missing), the 3rd C is great, but the 2nd and 1st C are incomplete (Parthia, Armenia, and Han China peaked here). However, having more of the same is not always an improvement, so I'm currently contemplating reducing the number of available factions to eight (Carthage, Rome, Gauls, Macedon, Seleucids, Mauryas, Ptolemies, Kush). This would allow removing diachronisms and make it easier to differentiate factions. I'm posting here because I haven't decided yet; thoughts?

*first part : (Empires Ascendants)

• 3 weeks later...

0abc updated again, numerous changes, including:

• javelinist → javelineer
  • blacksmith (a person) → forge (a workshop)
  • (siege) workshop → arsenal
  • removed native language specific names, because “Athenian Hoplite (Infantry Spearman)” is more informative for a player than “Hoplítēs Athēnaîos (Athenian Hoplite)”, and because there is no consistency between the standards used by the quite different languages (compare e.g. cart, kush, rome)
  • reduced the number of selectable civilizations to eight (cart, gaul, kush, mace, maur, ptol, rome, sele), to focus exclusively on the 3rd C BC to avoid extreme diachronisms, and to make differentiating factions easier
  • iron (metal) can no longer be dropped at centres, docks, storehouses, or worker elephants; instead, the forge is now the dropsite for iron, to reflect the fact you have to smelt ore to get metal
  • resource true price reflects gather speeds
  • trader gain is now fixed at 100% silver (done by incorporating @Freagarach's D1846)
  • slaves available at the market in the city phase for all factions
  • worker elephants can no longer build; instead, they have a 15 m aura, which increases worker build rate by 20%
  • standardized unit attack time to 2 s (formerly 1 s)
  • houses:
    • wood (gaul, maur): 80 wood, 20 time, 4 population and garrison size, 400 health, 200 capture points, consume 0.02 wood/second
    • mud (kush, ptol): 60 wood, 60 time, 6 population and garrison size, 600 health, 300 capture points, consume 0.03 wood/second
    • normal (cart, mace, rome, sele): 120 wood, 30 stone, 40 time, 8 population and garrison size, 800 health, 400 capture points, consume 0.04 wood/second
    • appartment (cart upgrade): 180 wood, 60 stone, 60 time, 12 population and garrison size, 1200 health, 600 capture points, consume 0.06 wood/second – and has minor ranged attack when garrisoned
  • military structures:
    • stable (village): cavalry
    • arsenal (town): siege engines, chariots, crossbowmen
    • shipyard (town): wargalleys
    • mercenary camps (town): civ-independent mercenaries
    • hall (town): civ-specific infantry mercenaries
    • barracks (city): infantry champions
    • elephant stable (city): elephants
  • removed many obsolete technology files

[And that's one thousand.]

• Like 3