Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Ok, two other suggestions to make assigning units to resources easier:
1) If I have 20 units selected and want them to work on some farms, the current way to do this is to select groups of 5 and send them to a farm. Some other games (for example the Stronghold series) do it like this: You can select all 20 units and if you do a right click on the farm, 5 of them get deselected and the move order. This allows you to select all 20 units and just do the right-clicks on 4 farms and the units are assigned.

2) Maybe some "return to last working point"-feature. If you use some soldiers for economy and defence it all ends up being chaotic after defending an enemy attack. You have to reassign all your soldiers. A button that sends them to their last work would make this a lot easier.

Btw: respect for the new pathfinder! I played some matches and no units got stucked, even when building some "house labyrinths". It seems to have a positive effect on the AI, too, making the game harder. And there are no framedrops on my laptop, even when having more than 200 moving units on both sides. The framerate goes down to 9, when zooming out. But one year ago it was sometimes unplayable in these situations.

2) Maybe some "return to last working point"-feature. If you use some soldiers for economy and defence it all ends up being chaotic after defending an enemy attack. You have to reassign all your soldiers. A button that sends them to their last work would make this a lot easier.

That button already exist. Take a soldier, order to attack and later click on a wheel that appears in the area of stances, delete unit, etc.. Yes, isn't very visible.

respect for the new pathfinder! I played some matches and no units got stucked, even when building some "house labyrinths". It seems to have a positive effect on the AI, too, making the game harder. And there are no framedrops on my laptop, even when having more than 200 moving units on both sides. The framerate goes down to 9, when zooming out.

a week ago was big trouble but now is for me totally fixed. About Frames rate, is because the lot of graphic( in the screen at the same time) when you perform that.

• 4 weeks later...

This might be the wrong place to post this, but I have a unit suggestion: If, at each fortess, civs could train a standard bearer unit. It is a unit that is carrying a flag (I suggest the faction's rally point banner). It would give a bonus (atk, def, speed, etc) to either units around it, or units in its selection group. It would make battles more interesting (because of the necessity of taking out the banner to weaken/demoralize units, like what would happen in real life) but it would make battles look a whole lot cooler! I also suggest that there should be a way to train units. That, or kill exp should be dramatically raised. I plowed through 4 medium Petra towns, and not a single one of my units ranked up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This might be the wrong place to post this, but I have a unit suggestion: If, at each fortess, civs could train a standard bearer unit. It is a unit that is carrying a flag (I suggest the faction's rally point banner). It would give a bonus (atk, def, speed, etc) to either units around it, or units in its selection group. It would make battles more interesting (because of the necessity of taking out the banner to weaken/demoralize units, like what would happen in real life) but it would make battles look a whole lot cooler! I also suggest that there should be a way to train units. That, or kill exp should be dramatically raised. I plowed through 4 medium Petra towns, and not a single one of my units ranked up.

nice suggestion but first need something like moral system. but can be an aura unitthat raises your army's stats

Please, read carefully as I put all my ideas here in separeted points. At the end , you will find a very good idea of multiplayer campaign.

So, my ideas are very simple , globally, make 0AD less God-like, so a bit less traditionnal RTS and a bit more RPG

- You are incarnated by a Hero on the map and you have to protect him. If he dies, your re-incarnate in his successor (if you have produced other ones, if not, you will reincarnate in the most graded unit with few visual range and strengh)

- Make every CC/city built "controled" by another Hero (he will transmit your orders to the units which belong to the city) as soon as he gets your orders received by a

messenger, he will apply them . Otherwise, he will act AI. (So the orders will like : kill these (+shift) ennemy buildings then retreat ; genocide all pop in a CC territory ... ) . So, secure roads and or paths will be required if you want to communicate with your colony

- Make ressources "real" and no more "virtual" ; it means, you have to store gathered ressources in buildings and no more in a global-virtual portofolio up the screen : this imply

that these ressources can be stolen (exactly like when you kill traders) and be moved from one CC/city to another one, thanks to roads and traders. The units are produced from the portofolio of a CC/city

- Each units will belong to a CC/Hero but can be enroled under the army of another CC/Hero if you decide it (order to transmit). So 0AD will work like Rome with Consuls and their respective armies/legions.

- Make food a good which can "perish/rotten" or a good that living units consumes every minutes : imply starvation for isolated/defensive CC .. unless , you bring some food by traders. Then you can really win a game if you ruin the logistic of the enemy. So food, will be less sustainable than other ressources.

- You can train citizen in your own CC/barracks, but can enrole slaves, mercenaries in buildings like : ambassady and markets

- The market, should be like a third player "invisible" on the map. Would act like an international Bank you can interact with as soon as you have a Market. It starts with an amount of goods : one can lend ressources if urgently needed or borrow ressources for unnecessary ones (and receive later interest rates). The market would lend ressources up to a certain limit for each players and Phase status, and will ask you interest rate every time you buy units as long you are in debt in a ressources. I.E : if you have -1000 wood , you have to pay a spearman : 50 food + 50(+10) wood.

- The amount of each ressources the bank will have in stock, affect the price of each units you buy on markets : i.e you can order cheap foreign slave-champion-mercenaries if the metal is cheap and that moment. (like in the game Dune 2 with the StarPort)

- As the buildings (and units?) can be captured, the destruction of city dont make any sense. I would be very glad to see Athene or any antique city. Capturing a CC/city should imply the acquisition of all the units belong to that city (at least, females). Just put your flag and colors on the city. Of course, one still be able to extend the city with new operational/military buildings, but the CC/city should be never destructible and should be represented by a set of historial buildings.

If you integrate those ideas, it will be easier to create some good SOLO campaigns. In multiplayer, one can make a VERY interesting new mode as you can create a huge campaign implying many players (each player = Hero/CC) where each game will be a battle/war . IE : Rome Vs Carthage : Split the campaign into 3 punics wars/game and/or battle in Spain with Iberian tribes (other players) . A player who plays Hannibal in the second Punic War won't have to play necessarly in the third game. So each campaign can be saved after each game. Moreover, like a tourney, one can imagine campaigns where parralled games are played. Rome vs Carthage - Macedon vs Hellenes , then, Final is the VS of the 2 winners. Basilcaly, make a MMOG but with a historical line and a scenario. Each historial event results in the opening of a slot a player can join. So this massive Campaign, should have to be split in as many games there were wars during the period covered in 0ad.

IE : a player, like Mario, starts the creation the city of Rome with the Hero Romulus, he will have to enrole other players to play/control some other CC he created (like the city Massilia controled by the Hero.. Mac Donaldus) , lets say, elexis, if elexis don't want to participate the next war of Rome [ ie : vercingertorix (played by MacWolf ) vs Julius Cesar (played by ffm) ], he can let the slot open to another player or even leave his city and send all to Mario. If Mario wants to stop the campaign, he can choice a successor , ie elexis, and make Mac Donaldus the ruler of Rome. In the meanwhile, one can imagine that Rome will have to face either the Hellenes, either the Macedons .. depending the results of another Campaign played by other players. Mario (Romulus) , as the supreme commander of Rome, normally has to participate in each game implying the Rise of Rome, but as I said, he can let the slot open for a player he choice and take the commands again, in a next game. Naturally, this massive multiplayer campaign should end after a succession of hundreds of games/wars between many civs and will probably finish by the final battle between a western civ VS an eastern civ . Each Civ will have its private lobby were players can talk strategy. A player can even decide to rebel and become independant city but it will be a big risk for him!

So this mode in multiplayer will be represented with a big map with territories delimited by CC/city represented by its own monuments you cannot destroy but only capture (a bit like the game Risk) with a color painted on each territory representing a civ.

__

thx for reading

Falling tree animation + Fallen tree and timber mesh/model (Can help cut allocated animations in harvested trees (swaying animation) and ?lower polys? (removing tree leaves), plus it helps visualize industrialization)

• Step 1: When a tree loses 5% health (190/200) it will display a falling tree animation.
  • Step 2: The model will change from the animated swaying tree mesh, to a static fallen tree mesh. (from this point, gatherers will use a new and matching gather wood animation)
  • Step 3: When it loses another 5% health (180/200) A new mesh will replace the previous one, a cleaned/trimmed version of the tree mesh (the same tree trunk but with its branches and leaves removed)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

can be nice, to the next Trailer about A19 concluded as great big rush Battle and the request to more Volunteers, and may say 0AD is free and always be free, because reading Youtube and Taringa(Spanish social Network) the people ask about if is free or always be free(Final Release) and the demo some people get boring, different to see Alekusu or SergiuHellDragoon playing in the Multiplayer.

read the comments

http://www.taringa.net/posts/juegos/19097787/Para-los-fanaticos-de-Age-of-Empires-0-A-D.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87u9bdo3-ng

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 3 weeks later...

this is just a small suggestion for effects: for units that having flaming attacks, meaning that their projectiles leave smoke plumes, maybe the smoke should burn out sooner. i like playing as the Iberians, and since one of their champion units has such an attack, i tend to mass them in place of siege weapons and it can make the game lag hideously if there are several hundred plumes of smoke coming up from a single point (unless this was already addressed)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just another silly user asking for new features, but... here we go! ;)

What do you think about turn water as the fifth natural resource necessary for the development of the civilization? I know that it may add some coding difficult, but well, water is BASIC for life and may add not just more realism to the game, but if well implemented, may turn the civilization's development more challenging.

This is a simple hotkey, yeah, but maybe should still have as minimap button.

Also, all buttons should show the shortcut key in a tooltip I think.

i agree. customizeable hotkeys are a must, in my opinion. it'll help macromanagement immensely if you can just press Tab, for example, and find an idle worker

as to water, i disagree. if there were ever any other resource to be added, it should just be a generalized one for whole new features along the lines of Favor in AOM. though it WOULD be an interesting feature to make some other basic buildings only buildable within reach of water, which could also have Wells as a new basic feature granting the same bonuses as water. maybe farms can only be built within a certain distance of water, for example

• Stan` featured this topic