Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

>suppress the champion units of sparta and rather make every units of sparta something a bit stronger than other civ equivalent

but this can be an upgrade in Phase3 and the hoplites can take the graphics of the spartans champs.

im a fan of spartan civ but i notice now, that sparta has no walls , no champs from barracks or castle, no slingers, mininal cav, no catapults, no archers, leonidas aura is limited, minimal navy,

extra building for champs, long time prod for hoplites, and spartan champs are out-classed now by Mace silver shield champs ( ++ philippe2 global map aura)

In historical sparta, there were no professionnal soldiers (no champs) but only citizen soldiers. But i notice in game that the units in Sparta civ arent true spartans citizens but sub-citizens from peripherical cities.

So an option ' spartan military training ' should be an option in phase 3 and make every pedestrian units a bit stronger (even females) . This way, one can delete Sparta champs and make Sparta a civ a bit more unique and no more

minimalistic

No professional soldiers, but Spartan citizens were more than professional soldiers - they all began military training at the age of 7, and were raised in barracks from that age. They were all hoplites to start with - they despised cowardly forms of fighting like shooting arrows or slinging rocks, employed mercenaries in those roles. Apparently they did serve as cavalry when that was introduced - they were very into horse breeding and racing, so it came easily to them. They also began employing more lighter-armed units later, instead of all being heavy infantry. Spartans always formed just the core of the army, though - they were supported by large mercenary auxiliaries.

To be more realistic, maybe the Spartans should have to build a mercenary camp to get any ranged units.

yeah, but why then in this game Sparte champs cost as much as other champs if every citizen was basicaly a 'Champ' ?

Beside this, even if they were trained since 7 and selected at birth, this cannot means that every spartan is a Champ.

A champ is a rare soldier who shows unique skills in combat. Its more about a nature gift than training and Champs have both.

For exemple, the immortals and silver shield were simply the best soldiers among the survivors (best of the best and trained).

Spartans, by definition, overtrained common people and their champions standing among them (may i remind people that the 300 spartans were the 300 best and not the whole army)

Spartans champs should be able to work as their arent professional soldiers (this would rebalance a bit sparta civ) . Or at least do something that dont let Sparta being the vanilla-minimalistic civ of the game

Edited by JC (naval supremacist)

• 2 weeks later...

Probably been done before but anyway: how about returning some resources to the player when a troop dies early. I was thinking troops require feeding in real life, in 0ad the troop gets his life food supply (or whatever) at the start, however if they died early the food could be returned to the player (only a portion of the initial food cost). Though to some extent troops killing each other cancel the cost out (they lose a troop as well which is equivalent to both people getting some resources back)

A feature which I know from Age of Empires I think is missing: Patrolling of units.

It would be nice if such a feature could be implemented, so that you can order instruct a unit to patrol from one place to another (and back again obviously).

1.) What about a new form of resource, something like honor/glory points?

-Can be used to train heroes and special units like aquilifers, centurions, arjos (Gallic nobles), etc. Let's say that a hero would cost you between 300-500 glory points.

-Gained through researching, killing enemy units in melee, capturing enemy CC/wonders or killing an enemy hero. (Ex. researching a certain tech would give you between 25-75 honor/glory points and killing an enemy hero would give you 100 honor points or so)

Edited: Champion units also cost little honor/glory. (1 glory point per champ.)

2.) An open/close to trade button in Marketplaces and Trade ports (A toggle button that can open or prevent trading with the structure, I always wanted to avoid AI ship/caravan spamming, 2 trade ships filled with merchants are enough to support a late-game economy, I also wish that the AI will be upgraded to use something similar to this so that it doesn't spam ships in Naval maps)

Edited by wackyserious

1.) What about a new form of resource, something like honor/glory points?

-Can be used to train heroes and special units like aquilifers, centurions, arjos (Gallic nobles), etc. Let's say that a hero would cost you between 300-500 glory points.

-Gained through researching, killing enemy units in melee, capturing enemy CC/wonders or killing an enemy hero. (Ex. researching a certain tech would give you between 25-75 honor/glory points and killing an enemy hero would give you 100 honor points or so)

Edited: Champion units also cost little honor/glory. (1 glory point per champ.)

I suggested this same idea. Name could be: Prestige, Glory, Honor; pick one.

Kill enemy unit: +10 Glory

Research tech: +10 Glory

Find a relic and place it in a temple: +1 Glory/sec

Build a Temple: +100 Glory each

Kill enemy hero: +500 Glory

Capture enemy Civic Center: +500 Glory

Build a Wonder: +1000 Glory

Spend Glory on:

Heroes

Champions

Special Techs

Non-Special techs like: Promotion Techs

Leveling up your Hero

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

I suggested this same idea. Name could be: Prestige, Glory, Honor; pick one.

Kill enemy unit: +10 Glory

Research tech: +10 Glory

Find a relic and place it in a temple: +1 Glory/sec

Build a Temple: +100 Glory each

Kill enemy hero: +500 Glory

Capture enemy Civic Center: +500 Glory

Build a Wonder: +1000 Glory

Spend Glory on:

Heroes

Champions

Special Techs

Non-Special techs like: Promotion Techs

Leveling up your Hero

I hope that the dev team would consider implementing this feature. It will add a nice flavor to the game. :)

Edited by wackyserious

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this has been said already.

But I really would like a idea for barbarians to be able to set up an ambush (maybe in trees etc)

Also how about having each unit have a certain morale? and when that unit/units get ambushed their morale is lowered (and thus they fight alot worse)

Not sure how easy it would be to implement this?

• Like 1

Don't know if this has been said already.

But I really would like a idea for barbarians to be able to set up an ambush (maybe in trees etc)

Also how about having each unit have a certain morale? and when that unit/units get ambushed their morale is lowered (and thus they fight alot worse)

Not sure how easy it would be to implement this?

the best way to establish an ambush, frankly, would be for units to become invisible while among trees and idle

• 2 weeks later...

New suggestions for the game :)

• Destroying (Destroy building command) a structure should give you back 75% of the resources spent on building it.
  • Disable the destroy building command when enemies are near the building (So that scorched earth strategy cannot be abused and exploited by the players)
  • Optional: I think I already suggested this one before? Command destroying a building takes time, drains 20% health per second instead of instantly destroying it. (Percentage might go lower, depending on the size of a building, ex. destroying a house vs. destroying a fortress or CC)
  • Destruction can be negated 1.) If the owner decides to repair it using a unit 2.) If the enemy attempts to capture it

I think these 4 things are crucial and can help in balancing the new capture system.

Edited by wackyserious

instead of just a flat 75% of resource cost returned
How about you get a % of resources back based on it's % of health.
Would probably prevent exploitations that you are probably thinking of.

(I.E Fortress: Killed half your army before you got it, but i got 75% of my monies back because i deleted it! suckd in!)

Would also make it so you don't have to program the distance to target preventing deletion, or, worse, try to balance it.

*shudder*

The less things there is to balance, the better.

Another minor suggestion.. :)

Prop stone slabs and metal mines with pickaxes on the ground and a handcart with stone bricks / metal ingots when it gets mined for the first time (or lose hp point, i.e. props appear when hp is reduced and will remain there until the resource is depleted.

+

Unit health and speed: 25/100 health reduces speed (Introduce a wounded/crippled walking animation)

Edited by wackyserious

I'd like to see, how many workers are working on a resource.Because after a few defenses, it's all chaotic (at least if you don't use many women). In EE2 you can go with your mouse over the resource icon and it shows a statistic about the workers. I think, this would be a great part of a administration tech.

I'd like to see, how many workers are working on a resource.Because after a few defenses, it's all chaotic (at least if you don't use many women). In EE2 you can go with your mouse over the resource icon and it shows a statistic about the workers. I think, this would be a great part of a administration tech.

This is already implemented.1440712037-image-forum.png

Edited by Tango_

instead of just a flat 75% of resource cost returned

How about you get a % of resources back based on it's % of health.

A much better approach indeed. :)

This is already implemented.1440712037-image-forum.png

Interface enhancement suggestion: a tooltip below or above resource hp that displays the amount of workers in a resource (when hovering over a resource/object)

Nope, not on the interface, I'm pertaining to the hp indicator on the map/game/world itself, the one that appears when you hover the pointer on an object. (I know that it is already implemented in the UI but IMO, it is not very noticeable in-game.. specially if you are new to the game)

Edited by wackyserious

• 2 weeks later...

Unit and army formations: 3 or 4 basic unit formations for 1 type of unit, e.g cavalry in square, line etc. Then several different units are arranged together by the player and then grouped (but so they stay in the same formation). This way players would create their own army formations to counter the other players. I would recommend making all units have hard counters (1x, 2x against certain troops). The concept would be easy to get for beginners and would offer much more intuitive combat for experienced players as well.

• Like 1

Unit and army formations: 3 or 4 basic unit formations for 1 type of unit, e.g cavalry in square, line etc. Then several different units are arranged together by the player and then grouped (but so they stay in the same formation). This way players would create their own army formations to counter the other players. I would recommend making all units have hard counters (1x, 2x against certain troops). The concept would be easy to get for beginners and would offer much more intuitive combat for experienced players as well.

Is very simple, actually. GUI swap from "battalion" formation icons to "army" formation icons. Would work even better if battalion system implement so that all soldiers are automatically in basic formations all the time. Less micro and you get formations and macro combat.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Is very simple, actually. GUI swap from "battalion" formation icons to "army" formation icons. Would work even better if battalion system implement so that all soldiers are automatically in basic formations all the time. Less micro and you get formations and macro combat.

and units need stay close without break the formation. Can be flexible but don't break the cohesion.

• Stan` featured this topic