Alpha 27 Naming Poll

Stan`

Vote for your favourite name!  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favourite name!

• Vulcan
    • Hephaestus
    • Ptah (Egyptian equivalent)
    • Kothar-wa-Khasis (Canaanite equivalent)
    • Sethlans (Etruscan equivalent)
    • Agni (Hindu equivalent)
    • Brigid, goddess of spring, blacksmiths, fertility, healing, and poetry (Celt equivalent)
    • Gofannon, Welsh god of blacksmithing, ale, architecture and building
    • Goibniu, Irish god of blacksmithing, one of the Trí Dée Dána
    • Lugh, god of craftsmen, games, arts, oaths, truth, and law
    • Prometheus => Previous name of the engine pyrogenesis
    • Gobannus (Celt equivalent)

This poll is closed to new votes

Hello everyone,

We are a bit late to the party but it's time for you to vote for the next name of the Alpha. As you all know we reached the end of the Latin alphabet. We decided that for this alpha we would instead choose a name matching the biggest feature(s). Our biggest feature for A27 is Vulkan support so naturally we are gonna name it after that. An obvious choice would be Alpha 27 : Vulcan the roman god of the smiths. But we thought we could pimp it a little by making a reference to it using another similar deity.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Hello everyone,

We are a bit late to the party but it's time for you to vote for the next name of the Alpha. As you all know we reached the end of the Latin alphabet. We decided that for this alpha we would instead choose a name matching the biggest feature(s). Our biggest feature for A27 is Vulkan support so naturally we are gonna name it after that. An obvious choice would be Alpha 27 : Vulcan the roman god of the smiths. But we thought we could pimp it a little by making a reference to it using another similar deity.

I vote for Vulcan I believe it is the most straightforward candidate.

• Like 1

I prefer the name AGNI , If Indian media like this then 0AD get free advertisement,

one of India's powerful ballistic missile is named as Agni,

I don't know how many people will care about 0AD if we give it some names of Gods in dead religions,

If it is Agni Indians will definitely care about 0AD, Agni is an active god in a Living Religion (Hinduism).

making it too obvious by naming it as Vulcan is not very stylish but I like the way Vulcan sounds than Agni.

0AD Vulcan sounds a bit dramatic than 0AD Agni for sure.

• Like 3

0AD Hephaestus would sound cool.

Perhaps we want to follow the old naming system and go for AArdvark

Aardvark | Animals Wiki | Fandom

Or AAchen, where your Linux mirror is located; Aachener mirror is often the default for many Linux distributions if you downloaded your ISO from an European hosting server, which means you probably curled your 0ad program files from Aachen - so it definitely deserves some credit. In addition, located on the border between Germany and Belgium, it is a nice city to visit.

10 Best Things to do in Aachen, North Rhine-Westphalia - Aachen travel ...

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Itms said:

I really like Agni as that just restarts the alphabet while keeping the thematic meaning :)

I agree.

Besides Vulcan refers to an underlying technical item and not something in the game itself. And it has the ST association which sounds a bit weird to me.

• Like 2

@Stan`

A good code name is one that people know how to pronounce and is available from the day the development cycle starts. That way the vulkan announcement could have mentioned it for example. Cynically speaking, currently the code name is simply another RB (even a month after FF), sort of a tradition already.

I don't expect everyone to agree but unless the two points I mentioned are fulfilled we are better off without a code name in the first place. Axx naming convention is how everyone refers to releases anyway.

2 minutes ago, hyperion said:

A good code name is one that people know how to pronounce and is available from the day the development cycle starts.

Except that's not a code name. A code name isn't meant for the general public.

Picking a release name from day 1 is assuming you know what's gonna happen during a milestone. And you simply can't. I have no idea who's gonna be around to work on something, and what they are gonna work on. And you can't force them either, so I can only make educated guesses once Feature Freeze is hit. 

4 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Cynically speaking, currently the code name is simply another RB (even a month after FF), sort of a tradition already.

I'll admit that I messed up on that one, and the health issues and other niceties of the game lobby got me away from doing it much earlier.

5 minutes ago, hyperion said:

I don't expect everyone to agree but unless the two points I mentioned are fulfilled we are better off without a code name in the first place. Axx naming convention is how everyone refers to releases anyway.

I don't agree, but maybe.

10 hours ago, hyperion said:

If even you mess up then I take it as solid proof that a release is far to expensive :)

It is. A full process for release takes 10h excluding building the artifacts and building the trailer and announcement. It's just a lot of things to update everywhere. 

And obviously on some linuxes it can take months for 0 A.D. to finally arrive in Repos.

On 03/02/2023 at 3:25 AM, Stan` said:

Hello everyone,

I'm impressed by the game performance with Vulkan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Radament said:

It is necessary how to do like Microsoft

Please only imitate this company if there is no other way :blink::wacko:

1 hour ago, Radament said:

to add the most "selling" regions, squeezing out investments from local patriots.

I still think that this is no good idea before the game scales properly. We should not spam on food before we have the wood to build houses :)  Although it might add more interested devs or mods to the project. Maybe there is a more profound truth to your post than i cannot fully see now...

But still, please don't take Micro$oft for an inspiration ugh

Edited by sternstaub