Jump to content

Introducing the Official community mod for 0 A.D. Empires Ascendant


wraitii
 Share

Should these patches be merged in the Community Mod? II  

47 members have voted

  1. 1. Add Centurions: Upgradable at a cost of 100 food 50 metal from rank 3 swordsmen and spearmen. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/27

    • Yes
      34
    • No
      6
    • Skip / No Opinion
      7
  2. 2. Alexander - Remove Territory Bonus Aura, add Attack, Speed, and Attack de-buff Auras https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/26

    • Yes
      26
    • No
      9
    • Skip / No Opinion
      12
  3. 3. Unit specific upgrades: 23 new upgrades found in stable/barracks for different soldier types. Tier 1 available in town phase, tier 2 available in city phase. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/25

    • Yes
      25
    • No
      18
    • Skip / No Opinion
      4
  4. 4. Add a civ bonus for seleucids: Farms -25% resource cost, -75% build time. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/24

    • Yes
      34
    • No
      7
    • Skip / No Opinion
      6
  5. 5. Cav speed -1 m/s for all cavalry https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/23

    • Yes
      15
    • No
      22
    • Skip / No Opinion
      10
  6. 6. Cavalry health adjustments https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/22

    • Yes
      19
    • No
      15
    • Skip / No Opinion
      13
  7. 7. Crush (re)balance: decreased crush armor for all units, clubmen/macemen get a small hack attack. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/20

    • Yes
      21
    • No
      16
    • Skip / No Opinion
      10
  8. 8. Spearcav +15% acceleration. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/19

    • Yes
      33
    • No
      4
    • Skip / No Opinion
      10
  9. 9. Pikemen decreased armor, increased damage: 8hack,7pierce armor; 6 pierce 3 hack damage. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/18

    • Yes
      18
    • No
      18
    • Skip / No Opinion
      11
  10. 10. Rome camp allowed in p2, rams train in p3 as normal, decreased health and cost. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/17

    • Yes
      36
    • No
      6
    • Skip / No Opinion
      5
  11. 11. Crossbow nerf: +400 ms prepare time. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/15

    • Yes
      13
    • No
      18
    • Skip / No Opinion
      16
  12. 12. adjust javelineer and pikemen roles, rework crush armor https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/14

    • Yes
      12
    • No
      22
    • Skip / No Opinion
      13


Recommended Posts

I like the additional stone miners and I think it should be done for metal too. The issue is if you only have 1 metal mine your rate of metal gathering is capped, but with 2 mines you can have more than 24. Raising this level to 48, or even 36, would give players time to expand to other sources, which would make the single source mineral less disadvantageous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/01/2023 at 4:26 PM, Gurken Khan said:

I just noticed that large stone quarries have double the worker slots as metal mines; is that intended?

In the game or in the mod?

 

EDIT: Only the one stone template, temperate_large_02, has 48 gatherers. I think because its oblong shape. I personally think all "small" ores and rocks should be 10 gatherers and all "large" ones 30. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

I like the additional stone miners and I think it should be done for metal too. The issue is if you only have 1 metal mine your rate of metal gathering is capped, but with 2 mines you can have more than 24. Raising this level to 48, or even 36, would give players time to expand to other sources, which would make the single source mineral less disadvantageous.

The difference has been around for a little bit now (a25?). 

Having extra res always gives benefits. Extra metal mining slots also opens up potential for mercs to be abused, which not all civs can do (really a problem with mercs). Same with military techs and champs. I’m fine with it metal being capped. 

Extra stone slots means slinger civs aren’t disadvantaged vs civs that only need wood, which isn’t capped and generally available on all maps. I’m fine with some stone having extra slots. 

It adds some nuance that I’m fine with. But I think most people would adjust to whatever number of slots are permitted so long as stone gets at least like 20 on the initial stone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

In the game or in the mod?

In the game with the community mod.

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

EDIT: Only the one stone template, temperate_large_02, has 48 gatherers. I think because its oblong shape.

0ad-oblongstonequarry.jpg.5a53acefdd75c53498a0eebcb6a89820.jpg

I guess it's oblong, although the shape didn't occur out of the ordinary for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I guess it's oblong, although the shape didn't occur out of the ordinary for me.

Also, keep in mind when these numbers were made up (probably by me at some point), unit collisions were a loot larger than they are now. Which is why I fully support looking into deciding on new numbers.

One thing to keep in mind is as others have mentioned that there are gameplay concerns where you probably don't want a player to be able to throw 100 gatherers at a mine and get 3000 metal in 2 minutes flat or other such scenarios.

 

But yeah, some new gatherer numbers for A27 community mod could be what the doctor ordered. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

I think some kind of lobby message would really help expose more of the community to the mod, perhaps a short intro to the mod and a list of the top 1-5 most popular changes would make people interested enough to get it. It could be an automated message when players join the lobby. 

It's doable but popups are a bit spammy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Stan` said:

It's doable but popups are a bit spammy.

right now they are way better than not doing anything. the lobby is divided between different versions of the game and this hurts the project. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alre said:

right now they are way better than not doing anything. the lobby is divided between different versions of the game and this hurts the project. 

I find that its not too much of a problem when you have plenty of mod hosts and plenty of vanilla hosts. I occasionally join 0ad in my morning in Pacific time and find it to be devoid of community mod hosts. I think this is because the main promoters of the mod play in my afternoon time and haven't been there in the morning to hype it up.

I am thinking it would just be part of the popup message that plays just when you join 0ad lobby, so it would not be too annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @Stan`, @wraitii,

What will the plan be for updating the community mod with the a27 simulation files? I presume that wall change is one of the last changes to these files, so conceivably the repository could be setup for a27 even before the actual release right?

This way I could start putting some ideas together — Melee damage increase, han crossbow nerf, unit specific upgrades, siege tower capture attack, maurya hero aura, crush armor adjustment. I could also get @borg-'s sparta ideas in the community mod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well we probably have to first determine if it was a success or not. People like @alre and few others and some dude that got mad at us on Facebook have a point, this might have divided the community. And while our statistics show that the number of active players hasn't decreased, I've noticed a lack of people in the lobby which I hope isn't because of that.

If we do continue another mod will be created so that the A26 can continue to exist. One could argue that it could be another branch but I'm afraid the current set up will become more complicated than anything. So, we'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Stan` said:

Well we probably have to first determine if it was a success or not. People like @alre and few others and some dude that got mad at us on Facebook have a point, this might have divided the community. And while our statistics show that the number of active players hasn't decreased, I've noticed a lack of people in the lobby which I hope isn't because of that.

If we do continue another mod will be created so that the A26 can continue to exist. One could argue that it could be another branch but I'm afraid the current set up will become more complicated than anything. So, we'll see.

I see. I would say most players saw it as a success, probably because of the faster turnaround on new content.

With regards to splitting the community, I think this could be improved going forward. The primary reason to play the community mod (at least early on) was because of its bugfix for the Han farming techs. Because of this, the community mod became the default version of the game for a large group of players. So, subsequent versions were heavily vetted with voting to ensure only guaranteed improvements were merged. What resulted was in my eyes, a much less ambitious version compared to the possibilities the community mod provides. 

My thoughts are if the mod adopts a more experimental approach, like a community test environment, the majority of games will take place on a27, with those curious to try out new content playing occasionally on the mod.

With this more experimental approach, both players and contributors should be more welcoming to ambitious content, which may be imbalanced, or otherwise sub-optimal. The "risk" of playing the mod would be that some things may be bad changes and some may be great changes, and to avoid this risk, I imagine players would prefer vanilla 0ad rather than playing the community mod alone.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

My thoughts are if the mod adopts a more experimental approach, like a community test environment, the majority of games will take place on a27, with those curious to try out new content playing occasionally on the mod.

This couldn’t happen in a26 because of the Han farming issue, which made the mod the de facto version of a26 for anyone who cared about balance at all. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

This couldn’t happen in a26 because of the Han farming issue, which made the mod the de facto version of a26 for anyone who cared about balance at all. 

yeah I mentioned that earlier, but I guess it was buried in my rather long post. I'd say overall its something we should try again for a27.

Not sure @Stan` if it should be a new "main" branch. Would the old a26 version then just be a branch of main? Maybe it should be a separate project?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/02/2023 at 5:23 AM, Stan` said:

Well we probably have to first determine if it was a success or not. People like @alre and few others and some dude that got mad at us on Facebook have a point, this might have divided the community. And while our statistics show that the number of active players hasn't decreased, I've noticed a lack of people in the lobby which I hope isn't because of that.

If we do continue another mod will be created so that the A26 can continue to exist. One could argue that it could be another branch but I'm afraid the current set up will become more complicated than anything. So, we'll see.

 

what happened?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Stan` changed the title to Introducing the Official community mod for 0 A.D. Empires Ascendant

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...