===[TASK]=== Improve hero portraits

14 minutes ago, m7600 said:

No, it's because the devs changed the keyboard shorcuts, and I don't want to re-learn them : S

You know you can keep the old ones?

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iber hero Caros.

Hello! Here are my contribution. Just jpeg on this post to show what i drawn. CC are welcome ^^.    I forgot: https://we.tl/t-E5dirNJUrR source files Iphicrate Pericles

Fixed what @Loki1950 pointed out in regards to Cunobelin's potrait, and I scaled it up a bit as well. Also, I'm including here the Gaul hero Vercingetorix. The tools, as always, are: MakeHuman, B

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

You know you can keep the old ones?

Actually, no, I didn't know that. How do you do that?

Edit: BTW, I'm git cloning the source code for Alpha 24 from one of the mirrors... at approximately 500 Kibs per second, lol. It has been stuck at 8% for some minutes now : P

Screenshot from 2020-07-28 10-02-00.png

Edited by m7600

Try

git clone --depth=1

That will only clone the current commit and save a lot of time. You can always get more history later if you need it with e.g.

git fetch --depth=1000

Edited by GunChleoc
  • Like 2
29 minutes ago, GunChleoc said:

Try

git clone --depth=1

That will only clone the current commit and save a lot of time. You can always get more history later if you need it with e.g.

git fetch --depth=1000

Thanks, but it has already cloned 4 gigas aproximately, I might as well just let it finish cloning the rest.

As @GunChleoc said the full history is not needed by those who just want the code or art only those actively involved in development really need it to prevent conflicts and resolve them which is what the review process is created to do and currently 0AD uses Phabricator for this not GitHub's interface at all though the mods do use GitHub there review interface is fairly transparent as I'm learning from my experience as vega-strike's lead and going to our first release in 6 years.

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 2

Ok, I finally finished cloning A24, I compiled it, and everything runs OK. I then used @Stan`'s .py script for loading actors into Blender 2.8x. Then I exported the model as a .dae file, and I opened it with Blender 2.79.
Now, here's the problem: if the textures have a .png extension, they load fine. But if they have a .dds extension (Direct Draw Surface), they don't load. This problem only occurs with Blender 2.79, but not with 2.8x, as you can see in the following screenshots.

The solution? I'll have to start using Blender 2.8x :banger::lmao:

BTW Stan, like I told you via PM, the Python script that you made works if I copy-paste the contents into Blender's Text Editor and then run as a script, but it doesn't work (at least for me) if I try to install it as an addon from the Preferences menu.

Screenshot from 2020-07-28 14-24-17.png

Screenshot from 2020-07-28 14-23-34.png

• Haha 1

It seems to be missing spec and normal, and the player color on the crest is strange Also you didn't paint over it ^^ I agree that the face is bad too, but that was to be expected. I wonder, do you think you could look into baking the faces you made on textures ?

8 minutes ago, Stan` said:

It seems to be missing spec and normal, and the player color on the crest is strange Also you didn't paint over it ^^ I agree that the face is bad too, but that was to be expected. I wonder, do you think you could look into baking the faces you made on textures ?

There's several different problems here, and some possible solutions.

The biggest problem is that I'm not a very good artist. If you gave this image to a really good artist, they could make magic happen with it. Even if you game them a stick figure, they could make an awesome portrait with it. I'm not at that level. The solution? I just have to "git gud" at it : S

The second problem is that these game assets work fine for their purpose, which is to function in game. They were not made for using them as portraits, so it's kind of complicated to turn them into something that they were not designed for (unless the portrait artist is really skilled, which is not my case)

Baking the textures can be done, but the geometry of the MakeHuman mesh and the one from 0 AD are entirely different. So I don't know how useful the baking would be.

The only immediate solution that I can think of would be to model the helmet from scratch, trying to make it look as similar as possible to the one from the game. This is what I have been trying to do with the previous portraits, but it seems that I failed to make them look similar : S

I'm tempted to give up on this, since the results are not good enough. I guess I'll go back to practising my fundamentals, maybe in a couple of years I'll have the skills to try again at these portraits.

Honestly all the previous portraits were great. Do not let a roadblock take away all you've done so far. 

23 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Baking the textures can be done, but the geometry of the MakeHuman mesh and the one from 0 AD are entirely different. So I don't know how useful the baking would be.

You can bake geometry on top of another :) (selected to active)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, m7600 said:

Alright, let me try this again, because, why not? I got nothing to loose by trying, and I'm not going to learn anything by simply quitting.

cart_hero_hamilcar_new_03.png

That looks great! Finally looks like what we need! I like the back lighting highlight on his right side too. Very nice indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like them. I'm not so sure about the red highlight on Harsi tho. For Craterus, I think it's a bit hard to see his face. Pretty strong shadow. Also, historically Greeks have been depicted with a very curly beard so it would be awesome to show that.

12100786-philosopher-bust-of-greek-philo

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was this entreprise on my feed and I think it might give ideas for the portraits.

pretty sure it's not shared licence but I found the colorisation of old statues a good idea. And why not use that as a reference for drawing that would be legal.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think we are going to go with @m7600's artistic direction. :) 

Lol, I don't know if that's the case yet. I obviously need to improve a lot. These portraits that I'm making are just to keep the ball rolling and maybe fill in some gaps. If Wildfire wants to use them, great. If not, no problem. It's good way for me to practice anyway, and I'm learning a lot by doing them and by trying to follow the constructive critiques that have been offered (really appreciate it).

30 minutes ago, MrLux said:

pretty sure it's not shared licence but I found the colorisation of old statues a good idea. And why not use that as a reference for drawing that would be legal.

Coloring statues is another option, sure. Or using them as reference for drawing is also another option. I'm not an expert on legal stuff, but I do know that photographs are subject to licensing in a way that is not entirely unlike other works of art. Basically, if the photographer releases their photos under the CC0 license (public domain), then it's ok to use them. If they use a different CC license, it's probably OK to use them as well, but you might have to include the photographer's name, or something like that. Otherwise, it's best not to use their photos. You could, in principle, appeal to the fact that you have made substantial changes to someone else's photo, and that you have produced something new and different with it. Well, the typical reply to that appeal is that it won't prevent you from receiving a Cease and Desist order, if not an actual lawsuit in the most extreme case. Personally, I think it's always best to remain on the safe side of this issue.

Edited by m7600
Grammar
  • Like 2