Game rewards turtling too much

kditd

11 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

They ares discussing about Norway and African farming is important by the game play accuracy.

Don't forget hair, 19th century West-African military culture, paganism, the phenotypes of South Africa and AOM. 

If there's anything you feel like sharing about yourself, or some other cool thing you have in mind, I'd say go for it! :) 

(as long as we only go off-topic in one dead thread at a time, I think it should be ok :1eye:). 

Check out this tiny Alaskan Tyrannosaurid, called the Nanuqsaurus (A) (for comparison, B is Tyrannosaurus Rex):

journal_pone.0091287_g008.thumb.png.f7d17d1ce8669ec13dae9740bf6ec5eb.png

Isn't it cute? Kind of like a morbidly obese Deinonychus without the the murderous claw. The Flintstones' equivalent of an overweight Rottweiler. "Who's a good boy? Who's a good boooy? Who's a good b-... AAARGH, IT JUST ATE MY ARM! DAMMIT"  

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Genava55 said:

You should use the private messenger function of the forum for the next time.

:)

Yeah good idea :)

10 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Don't forget hair, 19th century West-African military culture, paganism, the phenotypes of South Africa and AOM. 

If there's anything you feel like sharing about yourself, or some other cool thing you have in mind, I'd say go for it! :) 

(as long as we only go off-topic in one dead thread at a time, I think it should be ok :1eye:). 

Check out this tiny Alaskan Tyrannosaurid, called the Nanuqsaurus (A) (for comparison, B is Tyrannosaurus Rex):

Isn't it cute? Kind of like a morbidly obese Deinonychus without the the murderous claw. The Flintstones' equivalent of an overweight Rottweiler. "Who's a good boy? Who's a good boooy? Who's a good b-... AAARGH, IT JUST ATE MY ARM! DAMMIT"  

Haha 

14 hours ago, Rolf Dew said:

@Astrid no I have not played that game, I will definitely try it, as I love mount and blade lol. 

The Hyrule mod is really great, I didn't think I would like it at first but it is really well made and has interesting features. 

Okay guys I agree this thread has gone off topic.

Nice chatting with you Astrid.

I am going to try the Hyrule tomorrow due to the fact no work tomorrow so I can play the mod heh It looks very cute,and a lot of elves. 

Yes we did go a lot off topic lol I think we should stick to O.A.D. which is such a grand game that it deserves the attention of topics. Yes we leave it at OAD,and a bit other games, but not haircare,Counties/nations or South African farms lol 

It's was a pleasure darling,ty for chatting also :P

Edited by Astrid
goofed
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rolf Dew said:

Yeah good idea :)

Haha 

If they were stuffed with bigger heads maybe they would be cute :D Yes we can start a thread about topics not related to O.A.D.,as long as everyone is done with the topic that is impourtant

Edited by Astrid
goofed
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Just when you thought this thread couldn’t get anymore offtopic..

Offtopic-ness over 9000!

19 hours ago, Rolf Dew said:

@Astrid no I have not played that game, I will definitely try it, as I love mount and blade lol. 

The Hyrule mod is really great, I didn't think I would like it at first but it is really well made and has interesting features. 

Okay guys I agree this thread has gone off topic.

Nice chatting with you Astrid.

I played Age of Mythology for a few days,and the verdict is I do think it is a great game,and very fun, but it isn't as good as O.A.D. :P I do like O.A.D. way better.

• Like 1

What could dislodge my choice of 0AD is if RoN will improve with walls, unit promotion, single infantry unit and good and more additional structures especially from ancient to medieval age. Their maps and terrain is just too good except the unrealistic size of rivers. Their mechanics is the best. The pacing is great that frontline players on team games seems still far apart. The flaring and taunts (with the extra taunts) are the best and funniest ever for me. Their water maps is very spacious for ships to maneuver nicely. Even land maps have plenty of rooms for good tactical battles. Although the senate general is unrealistically revivable but it’s addition brings more good mechanics. Also they need to make it playable on multiple OS. 

Another game that I like is Civ (5/6). I bought the 6 but haven’t played it coz it’s indie. I played thousands hours of Civ 5 and it’s really fun without too much pressure on SP.

Stronghold needs better mechanics and should be not instant build. Needs better maps too. 

For now 0AD just need more better maps. Water maps like Cycladic archipelago must be improved with bigger island base and more water space to maneuver starting with normal size. The terrain of the island should also look like realistic with better biome not designed for MP game purpose especially that most high level players don’t play it more often if not at all. 

Hellas is a very promising map but the terrain has less flats so that structures can be built really good! 

Danubius is another map that can be improved if the big island is much bigger (starting from normal) with realistic terrain. The Gaia base needs to have a fixed unpushable border so that their structures are beyond reach by towers and fort range. The water needs more water spaces for more naval battles. Biomes should have choices too if possible. 

Ambush is one good map except that the main base lacks trees. A mainland snowy biome has very much better that what is generated in Ambush. The terrain on the highlands should have more flats so that structures can be built properly. It should also generate not just tight passes but rather larger area for open space battles. Hope AI can do open space battles too and not just programmed to attack and destroy walls and houses that obstruct their attack path and be bogged down. They should attack big armies and not just anything or single unit they first encounter or in their LOS. Players AI should also prioritize the siege units destruction than organic units enemies. 100 units tend to leave a ram or rams and attacking a single organic enemy units in their LOS. 

Mediterranean Cove is one nice map but just a skirmish and limited to 2 players. Nice open seas with nice highlands on each tip. 

How can we make our main base lively? It’s only work and battle? When playing SP I try not to gather even the chicken and animals and not chopping wood nearby to preserve more beauty around it. The only stance possible to make some movements around the base is patrol. No more recreation. Units are always in combat or gather mode. 

Also I think 0ad needs more buildings even if MP players don’t desire or use. Maybe a tavern, brothels, small arena etc etc.

Again I think towers or any projectile firing structures like CC or forts should not fire if not garrisoned by a range unit, same as wall turrets. This mechanics contribute to more easy unit and messy spamming. Soldiers just gather or battle and no more extra duty when there is lull in aggression. It’s also frustrating imo and not a good mechanics for it to be built at the very edge of the border for use as offensive weapon. What do we call this as defense towers for if it can be used as offensive weapon? If u garrisoned it kills wild animals too which is a bit annoying when you try to preserve them. At least 0 abc mod CC don’t fire arrow if ungarrisoned but Nescios mod seems still unplayable and probably not improving it.

Edited by Servo
  • Like 2

0AD is missing a general unit. Like a unit that has a beneficial aura to units (same for every civ) but not really good at fighting. But bonuses not quite as good as a hero.

Edit: “Generals” could also have some generic abilities like faster unit speeds for a few seconds etc.

(This is based on RoN if you couldnt tell)

Edited by Guest

0AD needs a civilian aspect with villagers forming the backbone of the economy. It's really that simple...

Citizen soldier concept should remain, but they should have bonuses for building military structures, and penalties for gathering resources, so that villager units are the logical go-to for all economic activities, citizen soldiers only being used for eco during an emergency/expansion.

This means "women" will become villagers, 50/50 men/women.

As mentioned in another topic, specific female representation can be preserved through a specialized healer unit trained at the temple (female clergy). Male priests would be used to boost general attack stats instead (morale, when implemented). Generals and the likes could influence other attack stats, relating to formations or battalions.

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sundiata said:

Citizen soldier concept should remain, but they should have bonuses for building military structures, and penalties for gathering resources, so that villager units are the logical go-to for all economic activities, citizen soldiers only being used for eco during an emergency/expansion. 

If we have slaves that cannot guard the buildings or fight, but with an economic bonus, it should be a good system.

• Like 1

Another thing that makes 0ad and other RTS games imo don’t do good is the unit deletions and insta deletion of structures. Some RTS games like RoN did it well using razing (more realistic) is good for MP but not on SP. Deletion of unit is fine just to avoid loot which is much heavier on RoN (units are very precious that one or 2 units advantage makes a difference) especially for Civs that has less economic bonus (Astecz), they need to fight, part of strategy mechanics. 

The devs and most influential top players are thinking that the game should be enjoyed (in MP) with lesser time should not hold the game improvement with additional mechanics. Most fun (MP) games last at least 45 minutes to less than an hour. It could last an hour or more if players are not DH and submit themselves to defeat if things are really not favorable, but a lot of us are decent enough to know when to gg. Tbh 0ad MP games are fun despite some slight inconvenience like lag or path finding but with fun loving gamers. Bravado doesn’t do good tbh. Perhaps they should just keep helping more new comers to improve skills or enjoy the game by giving advice or play along, play with newbies in non competitive matches. I could go as high as 1400 + rating but decided not to. I will be limited to playing only with decent players but not with newbies to rookies which are in most cases are fun if you play along while taking a break from SP games. I hope to get a new account same nick with no rating and no games played not to smurf but just to play with new comers. 

1 hour ago, Genava55 said:

If we have slaves that cannot guard the buildings or fight, but with an economic bonus, it should be a good system.

I am always bringing up slaves lol Yes having slaves will prevent us from being ambushed because our real fighters will always be on guard and ready for battle. What also really bothers me is garrisoning fighters in a tower or ship,and than  having to rush to train more fighters. They can be very expensive,and yes you can pull them out when attacked, but still the towers are very game breaking because those murder holes help a lot,and cause alot of damage to the enemy.Having a good army of patrolling troops would really help against a rush. Nothing more annoying than building a beautiful economy,and being rushed. 

Edited by Astrid
goofed

1 hour ago, Servo said:

Another thing that makes 0ad and other RTS games imo don’t do good is the unit deletions and insta deletion of structures. Some RTS games like RoN did it well using razing (more realistic) is good for MP but not on SP. Deletion of unit is fine just to avoid loot which is much heavier on RoN (units are very precious that one or 2 units advantage makes a difference) especially for Civs that has less economic bonus (Astecz), they need to fight, part of strategy mechanics. 

The devs and most influential top players are thinking that the game should be enjoyed (in MP) with lesser time should not hold the game improvement with additional mechanics. Most fun (MP) games last at least 45 minutes to less than an hour. It could last an hour or more if players are not DH and submit themselves to defeat if things are really not favorable, but a lot of us are decent enough to know when to gg. Tbh 0ad MP games are fun despite some slight inconvenience like lag or path finding but with fun loving gamers. Bravado doesn’t do good tbh. Perhaps they should just keep helping more new comers to improve skills or enjoy the game by giving advice or play along, play with newbies in non competitive matches. I could go as high as 1400 + rating but decided not to. I will be limited to playing only with decent players but not with newbies to rookies which are in most cases are fun if you play along while taking a break from SP games. I hope to get a new account same nick with no rating and no games played not to smurf but just to play with new comers. 

Yes I agree about players not enjoying all the mechanics,and just rushing to win. Why even include all the beautiful features and buildings when you don't even get a chance to build them in a match ? I tried the multiplayer mode for a week,and I did not enjoy it because of most players were just building a good sized cavalry,and rushing your settlement to win fast. I didn't even see them build one wall while my wall with a gate was a work of art. I know this is not Anno or a building RTS but it is not fun when one player just rushes to win when he just has 5 fields of food,10 woodcutters,and a little bit of steel/stone. So I decided to start rushing by getting my market started,and buying all my resources to build the biggest army but it wasn't fun because it was a race. 

I decided to just play with my husband,and RL friends from Norway/Sweden only,and it is more fun playing with people who you trust,and are not serious about winning. It's so much more fun having your army massive,your economy blooming,and your civiliation looking like an empire than just a farm getting burned the minute it is built. This is the only thing I don't like about O.A.D. but otherwise it is a grand game,and has so much potential in being my dream game :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Servo said:

I can't stand MMOS/RTS with leaderboards,and arrogance,and this is why players are always rushing,and not enjoying the game. Isn't a game supposed to be fun over egos, stress and players getting angry over winning or losing ? Even on OW pvp games you have your griefers,your ego maniacs that want to be on top,and your whiners that feel they should quit after a week of being treated bad,and not being able to quest or kill dragons. I quit those kind of games after 3 years of rolling my eyes over how absurd people act.

I played gw2 since I was a teen,and it started out fun than they got into the "espourts" which made people stressed,and people couldn't handle someone was better which resulted in bitter shouting matches. Lesser players wouldn't attend matches because the players that played the most would win,and gloat. I did get on the leaderboard for being a solo engineer,learning my class {I will be honest a lot of classes did have advantage on gw2 lol},and got so much hate from players that used BOTS to be on top {yes they used 5 BOTS to win,sadly} Seriously ?

Yes players that play more have no patience with new players,they right away gloat or make fun of skills which what do you expect from a player that started a week ago ? There is no magic wand that you just wave,and instantly you are good. So why not have patience,and help new players get good than just gloat ?

I am a black belt in MMA,and I never entered one tournament,and I been asked why by a lot of people. I learned martial arts to protect myself,and self defense when I need it,and did it for me not to show off,and win a trophy. I always been humble :P I love fun,and not to prove something. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Astrid said:

I am a black belt in MMA,and I never entered one tournament,and I been asked why by a lot of people. I learned martial arts to protect myself,and self defense when I need it,and did it for me not to show off,and win a trophy. I always been humble :P I love fun,and not to prove something. 

I want to do the same for Kung-Fu. Now that my life is settling a bit I'd like to start again. I just love the art and the mindset not much the violence.

On a side note I really loved the Settlers 7 ways of winning. There was military of course, but also trade, and upgrading your city. Each of them brought you stars and when you'd reach 5 you'd win. 

I believe you can mix victory conditions now in 0 A.D.

• Thanks 1

Been playing with the Tia Chi forms for about forty years and yes that slow motion thing you see the old guys doing in the park is a martial art:angel:whose basic principle is to defect any attack on a tangent it includes throws and holds as well very efficient art no need to do the muscle buildup of the so called hard styles.

Enjoy the Choice :)   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

I want to do the same for Kung-Fu. Now that my life is settling a bit I'd like to start again. I just love the art and the mindset not much the violence.

On a side note I really loved the Settlers 7 ways of winning. There was military of course, but also trade, and upgrading your city. Each of them brought you stars and when you'd reach 5 you'd win. 

I believe you can mix victory conditions now in 0 A.D.

You should go back because it feels so great to get to a high degree where you know you can take care of yourself. I never studied Kung Fu but it looks very interesting especially with the editation added. Yes Kung Fu is very violent heh But so is Akido lol It is hard to study when you have a full time job heh But do go back,and you will fel great. 

I been studying Akido and jujitsu since I was little, but now I am into GLIMA which is a viking form of martial arts,and I have one amazing teacher that not only teaches me how to defend myself but also how to survive.  You are actually a viking that gets to experience mother earth,and learn so much about nature. I really enjoy it,and it also helped me with my farming skills lol GLIMA is no weapon combat which the Vikings used when their weapon/shield was grabbed out of their hands whether by a long axe or just just lost it in battle. Unfourtunately  GLIMA is mostly taught in Scandinavian countries but maybe one day world wide. So go back,and pursue Kung Fu :P

I never played settlers but I always wanted to,and last sale I was going to buy 7 but got into Anno lol which is fun but the combat is a bit weak,more naval battles over land which I fancy land more. So Settlers 7 is a goody ? I might buy it now lol Yes OAD is getting better everyday,and I love games with mixed victoury.

Did you ever play Northgard ?Northgard is a great game with mixed victoury conditions but what I don't like about it is the AI cheats,and the combat lacks bad.

27 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

Been playing with the Tia Chi forms for about forty years and yes that slow motion thing you see the old guys doing in the park is a martial art:angel:whose basic principle is to defect any attack on a tangent it includes throws and holds as well very efficient art no need to do the muscle buildup of the so called hard styles.

Enjoy the Choice :)   

Yes Tia Chi can be evil if used in self defense heh It is very underrated as in people judging what is strong or not, so yes I agree with you on people just thinking old people just practice it which is wrong. I never got into Chinese style because I was always into ninjas and Feudal Japan so I wanted to study that country,and their art lol 

My husband got me into HEMA {Yes I am into weapons also} which lead to GLIMA because to reenact I needed to learn how to fight when I lost my weapons,and even though it is just roleplaying it added to making my fighting more interesting

lol I always kept myself active and busy. Kept me away from the mall :P