Game rewards turtling too much

kditd

2 hours ago, Astrid said:

I never played settlers but I always wanted to,and last sale I was going to buy 7 but got into Anno lol which is fun but the combat is a bit weak,more naval battles over land which I fancy land more. So Settlers 7 is a goody ? I might buy it now lol Yes OAD is getting better everyday,and I love games with mixed victoury.

My favourite one is the fifth. They will release them again with w10 compatibility so you might want to wait a bit ;)

Did you ever play Northgard ?Northgard is a great game with mixed victoury conditions but what I don't like about it is the AI cheats,and the combat lacks bad.

Nope never. 0 A.D. AI cheats too :P

13 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

My favourite one is the fifth. They will release them again with w10 compatibility so you might want to wait a bit ;)

Nope never. 0 A.D. AI cheats too :P

I did notice OAD does cheat lol but the difference between OAD cheating and Northgard cheating is Northgard doesn't have the best terrain or ways to come up with an interesting tactic to  defend against your enemy because Northgard's map is a bit flat so you can't hide up in a mountain or hill. 

I like to experiment with different tactics in how I will counter my enemies when they first attack me. One day I will build the biggest wall with the most defense towers and see if I can survive the first attacks,and if that doesn't work I come up with another tactic. I love to play on maps that have rivers because I will build my next civic center across the river from my enemy,and than I can see who is coming up that river so I am ready to defend. 

So many strategies you can make up on OAD for offense or defense. On Northgard there is only one way to play lol You sure cannot hide,and you can't even go near the oceans unless you are a trader on a ship. 

So settlers 5 is the goody ? Yes I will wait till they fix the 10 because I have a new computer heh I learned the hard way with AOE 3 but eventually got it to work. I hate when games don't work with 10.

Edited by Astrid
goofed

So settlers 5 is the goody ? Yes I will wait till they fix the 10 because I have a new computer heh I learned the hard way with AOE 3 but eventually got it to work. I hate when games don't work with 10.

I love the art, the gameplay mechanics the fact that there are bridges in the expansion :) the map editor too :) I'm trying to reach that level of quality. Even though it's quite old 2004 I still think it looks great.

@macemen

For games like 0 ad my personal preference is more of a relaxed, build right to the last  age kind of gameplay. For rushing and extreme micro, I love games like battle realms! Battle realms was a great quick game with in depth micro and abilities

If you like rushing and more interesting micro, then I would highly recommend battle realms, I think you can get it on gog.

Edited by Rolf Dew
  • Like 1

@stanislas69 wow,I really loved settlers 5 also, the gameplay, the detail and even the storyline! I loved that one could build such an amazing town and also that there was fairly good combat too! I would personally love to see a battalion system similiar to that game in 0 AD (even as a mod). In my opinion the later settlers had nice town aspects but horrible combat :)

Edited by Rolf Dew
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, macemen said:

@Rolf Dew I don't like extreme micro, I'm really bad at it. But I like to engage the enemy early and continuously on in MP matches. Playing relaxed is not suitable for MP IMO, it allows the enemy to gain control of the entire map.

You are right, one has to be agressive to have the upper hand. That is exactly why I prefer single player over multiplayer 

13 hours ago, macemen said:

@Rolf Dew I don't like extreme micro, I'm really bad at it. But I like to engage the enemy early and continuously on in MP matches. Playing relaxed is not suitable for MP IMO, it allows the enemy to gain control of the entire map.

Play smart,and choose what buildings,and skills you need first to make your army strong,and than you can control the map first. Yes you can play relaxed if you have the control,and are prepared for an attack or if you want to attack first. Don't let them tame you,you are the wolf that can't be tamed :P

I usually start with one cavalry scouting to my enemies baseline,and marking that path with guard towers {the one's with the dove} so I can keep any eye on them. I can see every move they make once they leave their base. While I am marking that path I will gather any treasure I come across so while my workers are gathering,chopping, andmining I will have more than enough resources to start building what I need to start a great economy,and train an army. 

I also make sure my farms and food producing is hidden away from where my enemy will attack first,and if I need to garrison my workers I will. I will make sure I produce a lot of food so I can use it as my currency to purchase what I need at the market to advance my culture fast. I will also set up a trader so I can get even more resources. 

As far as skills go when choosing to start I will decided if my army is going to be more range or more melee,and if I decide to have a lot of range I will start with the weapon skills over the armour. Once you get the market going you will have most the skills fast.

If I am in a area where there is a big river with a lot of fish I will build a dock asap,and use it for my drop off sight while getting massive food. So many ways where you can relax and build a big empire while your enemy is trying to rush you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I love the art, the gameplay mechanics the fact that there are bridges in the expansion :) the map editor too :) I'm trying to reach that level of quality. Even though it's quite old 2004 I still think it looks great.

I looked it up,and it looks very fun. 

• Like 1