More Factions Please!

sauerkrautpie

Check this novel, this is 0 A.D retaking the history, what happen if the Religions Abramaic never influence the world and Rome ever be strong and don't have crisis.

Roma Eterna is a 2003 novel by Robert Silverberg which presents an alternative history in which the Roman Empire survives to the present day.

The novel is presented as a series of vignettes over a period of about 1500 years, from 1282 ab urbe condita (AD 529) to 2723 AUC (AD 1970). Most of the story-chapters involve Roman politics, either the competition between the Western and Eastern Empires to dominate the other or the violent creation of the Second Roman Republic in about 2603 AUC (AD 1850). Others describe the first Roman circumnavigation of the world and unsuccessful attempts to conquer Nova Roma (Central America).

Many features of our own history are repeated in this history, though under changed circumstances: the equivalent of the 16th and 17th centuries have bold navigators and adventurers, romanticised by later generations but unpleasantly brutal and ruthless when looked at closely; in the late 18th to mid-19th centuries, a decadent old order is overthrown by revolution followed by a reign of terror and the reemergence of Republicanism; though Italy remains a central part of the Roman Empire, the Latin dialect spoken there develops into a kind of Italian, and the name "Marcus" changes into "Marco"; though Vienna is a provincial capital which never had an Emperor of its own, its population dances the Waltz; by the 20th century, people travel by cars rather than carriages and by the second half of the century, space flight is achieved.

It concludes with the first story to be written, when a group of Hebrew citizens in Alexandria prepare to depart Earth in a rocket which explodes shortly after takeoff. But they will try again, still believing God chose them to inherit the Promised Land, just not on Rome-dominated Earth.[1]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is the case.*  As is, while some may argue that the game lacks diversity in the cultures represented, given the fact that the game is still in alpha phase and has not yet formed a coherent goal for how gameplay would function, I wouldn't be worried about the current blandness found in factions beyond their aesthetics.  

*Unless the team changes its mind.

• Like 1

@andrea.bettini Please take a look at this:

With hard work and dedication, together with the help and support from everyone that's interested, I hope to create a fully functional mod to include the Kingdom of Kush as a fully playable civilization, and show the development team that the addition of the Kushites to the vanilla game is a logical addition of value, in terms of historically relevant diversity (ethnic/religious/cultural as well as ecological, biotope/maps), interesting and unique gameplay, beautiful aesthetics and a fresh, exotic new faction to boast about in a future alpha release.

A similar, much more developed (playable) mod has already been developed, featuring the Han Chinese, called Rise of the East:

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/forum/423-rise-of-the-east/

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Wow, long time since i created this topic. I have an idea, i know there won't be any factions. It means extra work but i realized Antigonids could be added to the game very easily, there is Theban models and very alike with Antigonid infantry, they can be created by pulling things from the Selecuids-Macedonians and Atlas properties. Also differencing them is so easy from the others

60d5ecc3efffc3a0ec720f162bf6f02aa4ad9032.png.756de9245d90528b9fcdb26148e5051f.png

Well those who ask like "who are they", They owned the Western Anatolia and Northern Syria and controlled the most of the Alexanders Empire after Seleucids. Antigonus I lost the Battle of Ipsus while trying reunite the Empire, then they somehow managed to retreat to the Macedonia. Well even though they won't be added they can be used in a scenerio. 

1368047.thumb.jpg.bae1d2a56803df9ef300c5ccc9237671.jpg  

Quick Update: I realized Demetrius Antigonid is already in game. 1763874890_ScreenShot2020-04-22at3_12_19PM.png.fafca70d066a8caf25a75b10a55c6a7c.png

Maybe Macedons already planned including the Antigonid dynasty. I'll look for modding guides tho, but my modeling skills are big zero. Is there a specific guide for adding factions to the game except the Modding_Guide page? 

Edited by sauerkrautpie

8 minutes ago, sauerkrautpie said:

Quick Update: I realized Demetrius Antigonid is already in game. 1763874890_ScreenShot2020-04-22at3_12_19PM.png.fafca70d066a8caf25a75b10a55c6a7c.png

Maybe Macedons planned including the Antigonid dynasty. I'll look for modding guides tho, but my modeling skills are big zero. Is there a specific guide for adding factions to the game except the Modding_Guide page? 

@Stan` @wackyserious @Nescio

I was waiting for an answer but it's been an hour :D I want to expand the idea. The structures can be taken from Macedon or Seleucids. Units can be taken from lots of factions. For instance:

Spoiler

Woman: Anatolian Woman, and taken from Seleucids. 

Infantry: Foot Companions from Macedonians, Maybe another basic spearman unit looks like the Persian one in the name of Anatolian Spearman.

Archers: Any Helenistic Archer Unit, with different unit or texture. As unit, maybe Arab Javelin units can be used as archers if possible. (And can called as Phrygian Archers) 

Cavalry: Companion Cav taken from Macedonians

Special Units: Antigonid Royal Guard (as seen above) can be taken from Ptolemies with few texture changes.

Mercenaries or Other Specials: Galatian Swordsman (as merc, can be something like Galatian Embassy building) and Capadoccian Lancers or Chariots (i think they already exist in game) 

Heroes: Antigonos I Monophtalmos, Demetrius Poliorketes (Atlas), Philip V 

The culture should be Anatolian in base, Hellenistic in military. Temple can be changed since the folk is believing to Cybele. And we can add few Agrarian buffs in a technology called "Cybelean Traditions". So for balancing this faction with others, they will have better economy and maybe a little bit cheaper units. 

Or it can be just ignored, since they are retreating to the Macedonia after the Antigonos died, and ruled in there until the Roman occupation. Even their emblem is almost same with the Macedonians.

My scenerio editor is really buggy and annoying right now, so i tried to inspect the units in game.

Phrygians.jpg.20d7101c09e52152c28dc0a82dbfc381.jpg

This is Phrygians, i share this to better understand the main idea why use the Arab Javeliners or Persian units as citizen units.

Edited by sauerkrautpie

2 hours ago, sauerkrautpie said:

but my modeling skills are big zero

That shouldn't be an issue at all.

To create a mod you just need to edit text files and create folders.

+---antigonids
|   +---mod.json
|   +---art
|   |   +---actors
|   |   |   +---structures
|   |   |   |   +---antigonid
|   |   |   +---units
|   |   |   |   +---antigonid
|   +---simulation
|   |    +---data
|   |    |    +---civs
|   |    +---templates
|   |    |    +---units
|   |    |    +---structures

You will need to create an anti.json civ file (you can copy another one like athen.json)

simulation/data/civs

You need to add a mod.json

{
	"name": "",
	"version": "1.0.0",
	"label": "Antigonids",
	"url": "https://github.com/0admods/antigonids",
	"description": "This mod adds the antigonids faction to the game",
	"dependencies": ["0ad=0.0.24"]
}

For templates, you can duplicate the ones you need from the public mod (eg. athen_cc) rename it anti_cc.xml and put it into the folder

simulation/templates/structures

Let me know if I can help more.

• Like 2

The Antigonids were Macedonians. Yes, Antigonos Monophthalmos controlled a significant portion of the Levant, but only for a few years (306–301 BC). His son Demetrios Poliokētēs later usurped the throne of Macedon (294–287 BC), but was expelled. Only with Antigonos Gonatas was the dynasty firmly established, ruling Macedonia for about a century (276–168 BC).

Before anyone starts spending time and effort creating an Antigonid civilization, ask yourself critically, how would they be different from the Macedonians already present in 0 A.D.?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Before anyone starts spending time and effort creating an Antigonid civilization, ask yourself critically

1 hour ago, sauerkrautpie said:

Or it can be just ignored, since they are retreating to the Macedonia after the Antigonos died, and ruled in there until the Roman occupation

I already did. It really doesn't matter, like i said. The main point is, it is one of the civs to add easily, for experienced ones i think it won't take more than 1 week work. Diversity is always good i think. 

But i am saying it again, if few entities belong to the Macedonians in the game, either in Atlas and the game, it is not necessary to add them. Thats why i asked if its been though of before. 

6 minutes ago, Nescio said:

How would they be different from the Macedonians already present in 0 A.D.?

Like i said, it'd be another faction and few details added at the result :) Really, it was just an idea. I thought that would be a good way to present the Anatolian part of the Alexanders Empire. Maybe it won't worth to the efforts. 

Just now, sauerkrautpie said:

I thought that would be a good way to present the Anatolian part of the Alexanders Empire.

If that's what you want, you should consider adding the Attalids instead, who ruled Pergamon and surroundings for the better part of two centuries (282–133 BC).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nescio said:

If that's what you want, you should consider adding the Attalids instead, who ruled Pergamon and surroundings for the better part of two centuries (282–133 BC).

Pergamenes would be a nice one, totally. 

Pergamene Pikeman

Thureophoros (heavy skirmisher)

Galatian Swordsman (merc)

Galatian Horseman (merc)

Tarantine Cavalry

Attalid Royal Cavalry (champ lancer)

Pergamene Thorakite (champ heavy swordsman)

Hemiolia

Trihemiolia 

Tetreres (quadrireme) 

Wonder: Pergamon Altar 

1280px-Pergamonmuseum_Pergamonaltar.jpg

Grundriss-Pergamonlatar_rotate.jpgModell_Pergamonmuseum.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Bactrians  are interesting, one of my favorite sucessor kingdoms; would help bridge the gap between the Han and other civs in the game.

Iranian levy spearman

Macedonian settler Pikeman

Iranian archer

Indo-Greek heavy skirmisher

Baktrian axe Hillman

Nomad cavalry skirmisher

Ionian citizen cavalry

Hellenized mounted archer

Bactrian guard hoplite (Champion)

Cataphract (Champion)

War elephant

Not sure on wonder