The Kingdom of Kush: A proper introduction [Illustrated]

Sundiata

12 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I haven't had time to focus on the indigenous terminology yet, which is indeed very difficult seen as their language is very poorly understood. I was thinking that we can combine ancient Egyptian and modern Nubian as an approximation for ancient Meroitic...

For bonuses and unique techs, I was thinking something like:

- Saqiya: animal driven waterwheel, introduced in the Ptolemaic period, increasing agricultural output.

- Cattle herding: lowered cost to train large herds of cattle

- Iron-smelting: metal mining bonus

- Fervor of Amun: warriors fight with increased strength and passion, for the love of Amun

- Fired brick making: significantly increased strength for buildings

- Jewelry making: trade bonus 

How about this? There are a few gameplay suggestions hidden in here too.

Spoiler

{
	"Code": "kush",
	"Culture":[ "egyptian", "nubian" ],
	"Region":[ "africa" ],
	"Name": "Kushites",
	"Emblem": "session/portraits/emblems/kushites.png",
	"History": "The Kingdom of Kush was an ancient African kingdom situated on the confluences of the Blue Nile, White Nile and River Atbara in what is now the Republic of Sudan. The Kushite era of rule in the region was established after the Bronze Age collapse of the New Kingdom of Egypt, and it was centered at Napata in its early phase. They invaded Egypt in the 8th century BC, and the Kushite emperors ruled as Pharaohs of the Twenty-fifth dynasty of Egypt for a century, until they were expelled by the Assyrians. Kushite culture was influenced heavily by the Egyptians, with Kushite pyramid building and monumental temple architecture still extent. The Kushites even worshipped many Egyptian gods, including Amun. During Classical antiquity, the Kushite imperial capital was at Meroe. In early Greek geography, the Meroitic kingdom was known as Aethiopia. The Kushite kingdom persisted until the 4th century AD, when it weakened and disintegrated due to internal rebellion, eventually succumbing to the rising power of Axum.",
	"Music":[
			{"File":"The_Blue_Nile.ogg", "Type":"peace"},
			{"File":"African_Lions.ogg", "Type":"peace"},
			{"File":"Warrior_Queen.ogg", "Type":"peace"}
		],
	"Factions":
	[
		{
			"Name":"Kushite Africans",
			"Description":"The great African kingdom straddling the Nile River in Nubia.",
			"Technologies":
			[
				{
					"Name":"Saqiya Water Wheel",
					"History":"History.",
					"Description":"Workers +20% farming rate."
				},
				{
					"Name":"Cattlemen",
					"Description":"Batches of domestic Cattle train much faster."
				},
				{
					"Name":"Iron Smelting",
					"Description":"Workers +20% metal gathering rate."
				},
				{
					"Name":"Fervor for Amun",
					"Description":"Champions +10% attack, +10% attack rate, and +10% movement speed."
				},
				{
					"Name":"Fired Bricks",
					"Description":"Structures +20% health, -10% cost."
				},
				{
					"Name":"Jewelry Making",
					"Description":"Traders +20% profit for each trip."
				}
			],
			"Heroes":
			[
				{
					"Name":"Pharaoh Piye",
					"Class":"",
					"Armament":"",
					"Emblem":"",
					"History":"Founder of the 25th Egyptian dynasty. Ruled both Nubia and Egypt, uniting them under one banner for the first time."
				},
				{
					"Name":"Kandake Amanirenas",
					"History":"."
				},
				{
					"Name":"Kandake Amanitore",
					"History":"."
				}
			]
		}
	],
	"CivBonuses":
	[
		{
			"Name":"The Pyramids of Meroe",
			"Description":"Building a Kushite pyramid increases Civic Center territory influence by +10% for each one built."
		},
		{
			"Name":"Mineral Deposits",
			"Description":"Kushite players receive a free extra Metal Mine somewhere in their home territory."
		},
		{
			"Name":"Elephant Roundup",
			"Description":"Can capture gaia elephants and garrison them into a corral to reduce training costs for War Elephants."
		}
	],
	"TeamBonuses":
	[
		{
			"Name":"Iron Mongers",
			"History":"The Kushites had access to vast amounts of iron ore, and subsequent to learning the craft of iron working from the Assyrians they became exporters of iron goods.",
			"Description":"Players allied with Kush gain a free slow trickle of the metal resource for each Market the Kushite player builds."
		}
	],
	"Structures":
	[
		{
			"Name":"Temple of Amun",
			"Emblem":"structures/military_settlement.png",
			"Requirements":".",
			"Phase":"City",
			"Special":"The Kushites can upgrade individual Temples to Temples of Amun, which can train Temple Guard champions and heal units faster."
		},
		{
			"Name":"Kushite Pyramids",
			"History":"The Kushites built over 200 pyramids in Nubia.",
			"Requirements":".",
			"Phase":"Village",
			"Special":"Building a Small Kushite Pyramid unlocks the Town Phase. Building a Large Kushite Pyramid unlocks the City Phase. And each pyramid built adds +10% territory effect to Civic Centers."
		}
	],
	"StartEntities":
	[
		{
			"Template": "structures/kush_civil_centre"
		},
		{
			"Template": "units/kush_support_female_citizen",
			"Count": 4
		},
		{
			"Template": "units/kush_infantry_spearman_b",
			"Count": 2
		},
		{
			"Template": "units/kush_infantry_archer_b",
			"Count": 2
		},
		{
			"Template": "units/kush_cavalry_archer_b"
		}
	],
	"Formations":
	[
		"formations/null",
		"formations/line_closed",
		"formations/line_open",
		"formations/column_closed",
		"formations/wedge"
	],
	"AINames":
	[
		"Kashta",
		"Alara",
		"Pebatjma",
		"Shabaka",
		"Shebitku",
		"Qalhata",
		"Takahatenamun",
		"Tantamani",
		"Atlanersa",
		"Nasalsa",
		"Malewiebamani",
		"Harsiotef",
		"Arakamani",
		"Shanakdakhete",
		"Amanishakheto"
	],
	"SkirmishReplacements":
	{
		"skirmish/units/default_infantry_melee_b": "units/kush_infantry_spearman_b",
		"skirmish/units/default_infantry_ranged_b": "units/kush_infantry_archer_b",
		"skirmish/units/default_cavalry": "units/kush_cavalry_archer_b",
		"skirmish/structures/default_house_10": "structures/{civ}_house",
		"skirmish/structures/default_stoa": "gaia/geology_metal_savanna_slabs"
	},
	"SelectableInGameSetup": true
}

• Like 1

Quick reply, among the heroes, in order to stick to the 500BC - 1 AD era, Piye should be replaced with Arakamani, and Amanitore with Amanishakheto.

The Kushites can upgrade individual Temples to Temples of Amun, which can train Temple Guard champions and heal units faster."

Well, that solves that issue... nice.. But wouldn't one temple being at least twice the size of the other temple be an issue?

@Lion.Kanzen What are the odds, I was just reading through that piece again today. It's pretty decent. That's the best mod for Total War featuring Kushites.. Their research is pretty good... But ours is more comprehensive ;) 

Edited by Sundiata
b
  • Like 1

The standard temple can have statues, columns, whatever that can fill out the footprint of what the upgrade would fill. The Amun-upgrade need not be ginormous. The Library building for other civs, for instance, is merely a representation rather than the large structure it really was. Same could hold true here.

1 minute ago, Sundiata said:

Maybe the second, larger temple of Amun should just become available in city phase?

I was thinking of a way to make use of the game's upgrade feature, which seems more interesting for the player than just having another building to build. IMHO.

• Thanks 1

I would be in favor of that if the footprints were compatible, but they're not. The metropoleis tech and the defense tower upgrade work because the footprints of the before and after models are identical. even house to apartment conversions are possible for the Carthaginians atm

14 minutes ago, LordGood said:

I would be in favor of that if the footprints were compatible, but they're not. The metropoleis tech and the defense tower upgrade work because the footprints of the before and after models are identical. even house to apartment conversions are possible for the Carthaginians atm

lol, alright guys, do what you want. My point was you can make the footprints whatever you want them to be.

Well I know, but you might run into similar problems I ran into with PA, fact of the matter being maps can get tight very quickly with large buildings, especially baobab-heavy ones. A civ needing a spam of special buildings to begin with is already at a space disadvantage. Also a  building with that much empty space around it is going to look silly, even if you scatter columns about

4 minutes ago, LordGood said:

Well I know, but you might run into similar problems I ran into with PA, fact of the matter being maps can get tight very quickly with large buildings, especially baobab-heavy ones. A civ needing a spam of special buildings to begin with is already at a space disadvantage. Also a  building with that much empty space around it is going to look silly, even if you scatter columns about

Well, that's part of my reluctance with having a large new special building taking up even more map space, when it could be better if you just upgraded an existing building. And you really think a shrine wall or courtyard around the current temple would look bad? Serious question.

Maybe not, I would be more comfortable with a ground decal to tie it all together. I would also like for temples to be standardized in vanilla, but that might be wishful thinking. But that sort of thinking makes me reluctant to stray from the general Greek 2x+1=y temple footprint

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LordGood said:

Maybe not, I would be more comfortable with a ground decal to tie it all together. I would also like for temples to be standardized in vanilla, but that might be wishful thinking. But that sort of thinking makes me reluctant to stray from the general Greek 2x+1=y temple footprint

I understand, but other civs already break that mould. :shrug: lol