The Kingdom of Kush: A proper introduction [Illustrated]

Sundiata

The Kingdom of Kush

Preliminary unit roster:

The following list represents the essential units I have in mind for the Kushites, more could be added, but I believe these units are historical enough, and represent a well rounded roster, lacking only in siege equipment, which is somewhat mitigated by the war-elephant:

• Nubian Archer
  • Nubian Spearman
  • Meroitic Pikeman
  • Meroitic Axeman
  • Meroitic Swordsman
  • Meroitic spear-cavalry 
  • Meroitic Noble Archer (champion unit)
  • Meroitic Noble Cavalry Lancer (champion unit)
  • Blemmye Mercenary Camel Lancer
  • Blemmye Mercenary Camel Archer
  • Kushite Light War-Elephant 

Thoughts and ideas? 

Ideally, I think there should be 2 different embassies, one Nuba embassy, to recruit Nuba tribesmen, and one Blemmye embassy, to recruit those camel warriors. Then the roster would be complete, offering both of best worlds: a sophisticated urban elite, and primitive looking levies from the wild hinterlands of Kush, and the Beja camels. 

I don't know if this is too much...

11 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

The Kingdom of Kush

Preliminary unit roster:

The following list represents the essential units I have in mind for the Kushites, more could be added, but I believe these units are historical enough, and represent a well rounded roster, lacking only in siege equipment, which is somewhat mitigated by the war-elephant:

• Nubian Archer
  • Nubian Spearman
  • Meroitic Pikeman
  • Meroitic Axeman
  • Meroitic Swordsman
  • Meroitic spear-cavalry 

Thoughts and ideas? 

What are the refs for a pikeman?

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

6 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Ideally, I think there should be 2 different embassies, one Nuba embassy, to recruit Nuba tribesmen, and one Blemmye embassy, to recruit those camel warriors. Then the roster would be complete, offering both of best worlds: a sophisticated urban elite, and primitive looking levies from the wild hinterlands of Kush, and the Beja camels. 

Hmmm, for DE Ima put those in the merc camp. It would be awesome to have some biome/ethnic themed merc camps though. Like a "Nuba Village"-looking camp for Egypt/Kush maps.

view-of-the-huts-in-a-nuba-village-kordo

traditional-village-nuba-mountains-afric

"Nuba Tribesman" could give the civ access to the skirmisher class.

• Like 1

Strabo: "and as weapons some had only axes, others pikes, and others swords"

In one of the reliefs of Amanishakheto, she is actually seen using a (shortened, for artistic purposes I presume) sarissa, to execute prisoners. 

They were introduced to "modern" pike formations after facing Greek hoplites for the first time in 592 BC, during Psamtik II's invasion of Nubia.

From the early third century BC Greek was thought in Meroe, and under Arakamani some Hellenisation occurred, due to increased contact with Ptolemaic Egypt, and new military technologies were among the novelties, brought back by mercenaries who had served in Egypt, and Greek traders and adventurers serving at the Meroitic court.

There's also that that graffiti from Musawwarat. And phalanx formations have been used in the Nile Valley since at least the New Kingdom.

Edited by Sundiata

also, what niche would the axeman fill opposed to the swordsman? I would like to see citizen clubmen.

if you wanted the axemen to fill a anti-shield role, well, there would need to be shield tags added to every shielded unit (lots of them)

general anti infantry like in AOM would be nice, but that makes swordsmen a bit redundant.

6 minutes ago, LordGood said:

also, what niche would the axeman fill opposed to the swordsman? I would like to see citizen clubmen.

if you wanted the axemen to fill a anti-shield role, well, there would need to be shield tags added to every shielded unit (lots of them)

general anti infantry like in AOM would be nice, but that makes swordsmen a bit redundant.

We have axeman animations? The last time I see uses stabbing techniques.

8 minutes ago, LordGood said:

I suggest the Axeman be the "Temple Guard" for the Temple of Amun.

• Like 1

I think axe and swords are both iconic weapons for the Kushites. Axe as armour piercing shock troop, strong against swordsmen, weak against spear. Swordsmen are strong against spear, weak against axe. Plus Kush is the earliest known Sub-Saharan civilisation to use swords. The first of a long line. Axes are too common to ignore.

"I suggest the Axeman be the "Temple Guard" for the Temple of Amun." sounds nice...

Edited by Sundiata

My suggested roster, based on yours Sundiata.

Civic Center

• Kushite Woman
  • Nubian Clubman
    • Basic-only, does not promote, similar to the Rorarius in DE.

Barracks

• Nubian Archer
    • Fastest archer in the game, like the Mayan Plumed Archer in Age of Kings:The Conquerors.
  • Nubian Spearman
  • Meroitic Pikeman
    • Perhaps make available after researching Sarissa at the Blacksmith.
  • Meroitic Swordsman
  • Meroitic Spear Cavalry 
    • I suggest can switch back and forth from spear to javelin.

Temple of Amun (Terra Magna, a special building / in Delenda Est, an upgrade for the standard Temple)

• Priest of Amun
  • Napatan Temple Guard (axeman)
    • Boosted by the Fervor for Amun special tech.

Fortress

• Hero 1
  • Hero 2
  • Hero 3
    • Perhaps can switch to firing fire arrows, for a siege attack, same as Maiden Guard in DE.

Mercenary Camp (Delenda Est) / Tribal Village (Terra Magna; a special buildable structure)

• Nuba Tribesman (skirmisher)
    • Gives them access to a skirmisher unit.

===================================================================================

1 hour ago, LordGood said:

Ought to retain championship then, though champion elephant skirms sounds real cool (sort of negates the whole 'good against buildings' thing though)

If we can get the turrets feature implemented, the elephant driver/rider could throw javelins at random nearby enemies.

• Like 1

• Hero 1: Arakamani: (Hellenisation) - techs research faster
  • Hero 2 Amanirenas: (Diplomat/warrior queen) - favourable outcomes in diplomatic affairs/soldiers fight harder (can recruit lions?)
  • Hero 3 Nastasen: (Naval superiority) - Boats gain increased attack and defence 

I'd refrain from using the word Bushman for the Nuba, as that term is most closely associated with "the Bushmen of the Kalahari" , which is the other side of Africa. 

Edited by Sundiata
  • Thanks 1

@LordGood This is about how far I got with market references, it's mostly guess work though, nothing I know of survived the times... I think it were just large open markets in the open spaces between the large structures of the city centers, not necessarily dedicated buildings, but smallish, semi-perishable setups:

w surv

Edited by Sundiata
  • Thanks 1