Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

I totally agree with more hotkeys and the ability to customize them. Especially hotkeys that allow me to cycle between various civic centers and barracks. I also would prefer to have two different idle keys; one for military units and one for female villagers...

There are an old patch about cycle between buildings if you press a hotkey, but never was implemented

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/1899

Are you playing on Hard or Very Hard? Hard is beatable as long as you are patient and retreat when it is best. Very Hard is a bit of a challenge, and it takes really good resource management/counter units/upgraded units to beat.

i actually wasn't aware that there was a difficulty setting, but the default seems to be medium. if medium is roughly equivalent to moderate from AOM, then i think that's still too aggressive

EDIT: played a new map on easy and i was still overwhelmed pretty quickly. oh well; i mainly wanted to install 0ad at this stage so i could use the scenario editor, anyway

Edited by oshron

Maybe there should be an option in the game's settings/options page to set a global default AI difficulty, whilst still keeping the current ability to set the difficulty for each AI individually from the Match Setup page. So, when a player starts a new Match, the AI difficulty is set from the global default (rather than always being 'medium') but the player can then alter a particular AI to a different difficulty should they wish.

Also, on systems with more than one AI installed (via mods or whatever) an option to choose the default AI used could also be of worth. It would save (particularly on maps with more than one AI controlled civ) having to set each manually one-at-a-time.

Edited by s0600204
  • Like 2

More dense trees has performance implications, since the pathfinder currently needs to redone, but it is definitely planned for the future.

The dialogue is Ancient Greek, and is eventually planned to be each civilization's respective language.

It is true that buildings don't currently change between the phases, but most citizens rank up two ranks as they kill enemies.

Roman soldiers are known for building encampments, which is the historical basis for citizen-soldiers, and there are still dedicated military units in the form of champions.

Thanks for answering

I understand that there is work to be done

I will wait patiently :D

oh and I actually noticed the troops rank up and change

really nice feature

Hello everyone.

When I was playing I wanted to know how many workers I set for each resource. What I tried to do was hover over the resource at the top left of the screen. I also tried right clicking the resources for some options. A left click on the resource could select all the workers. This could be great for grouping and for information. Let me know what you think. :thumbsup:

Dave

Hello everyone.

When I was playing I wanted to know how many workers I set for each resource. What I tried to do was hover over the resource at the top left of the screen. I also tried right clicking the resources for some options. A left click on the resource could select all the workers. This could be great for grouping and for information. Let me know what you think. :thumbsup:

Dave

This topic is for sugestions. But...I use 10~15 soldiers for mining stone/iron and all soldiers in the wood. Farms I make 8~10 farms.

Hello Peregriino. Thanks for the advice. That was something to consider.

I apologize for the confusion. I should have been more clear. I was attempting to suggest that a hover, left-click and right-click of the resource icons be considered. Hover - display how many workers on that resource. Left-click - select all the workers on that resource. Right-click - display menu of options, eg: tribute. :dirol:

Edited by PleaseCallMeDave

okay, so i improved my playstyle a little bit (using the Iberians at first since i like to play defensively until late in the game). now, my mention of Petra being too aggressive earlier, i think some of the big things that the 0ad really needs, but which would definitely be closer to the bottom of the list, are some aesthetics: resources should look like they've been worn down over time depending on how much of them has been gathered, and buildings should have visual indicators that they're damaged--at the very least, it could be fire coming from them like in Empire Earth. the only other things i would (currently) recommend is that trees are knocked down when you start gathering from them, like in AOM since it adds some realism to the game, and that thickets of trees should be mostly impassable, with some civs having special traits allowing them to navigate forests. while i understand the reasoning behind trees being passable, i think it hurts the game on a strategic level. in my most recent game, i had a defensible position with lots of cliffs around my starting point, but because trees fill in alot of the valleys leading to my base, i can't build walls to block off those routes and fully exploit the defensive position without knocking down an entire forest first

• Like 2

okay, so i improved my playstyle a little bit (using the Iberians at first since i like to play defensively until late in the game). now, my mention of Petra being too aggressive earlier, i think some of the big things that the 0ad really needs, but which would definitely be closer to the bottom of the list, are some aesthetics: resources should look like they've been worn down over time depending on how much of them has been gathered, and buildings should have visual indicators that they're damaged--at the very least, it could be fire coming from them like in Empire Earth. the only other things i would (currently) recommend is that trees are knocked down when you start gathering from them, like in AOM since it adds some realism to the game, and that thickets of trees should be mostly impassable, with some civs having special traits allowing them to navigate forests. while i understand the reasoning behind trees being passable, i think it hurts the game on a strategic level. in my most recent game, i had a defensible position with lots of cliffs around my starting point, but because trees fill in alot of the valleys leading to my base, i can't build walls to block off those routes and fully exploit the defensive position without knocking down an entire forest first

Instead how about this?

Make trees fully passable (might help cut down on pathfinding lags too?), but allow buildings to be built over trees (the trees disappear like a dead animal would disappear). Celts, Iberians, and Mauryan civs get some kind of fighting or movement bonus in trees (or both or either: Celts and Iberians fighting bonus, Mauryans movement bonus). Can maybe do this with an aura if you make "groves" of trees be 1 object (so you don't have thousands of auras at once, just some dozens). I do some of this in my mod.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

Instead how about this?

Make trees fully passable (might help cut down on pathfinding lags too?), but allow buildings to be built over trees (the trees disappear like a dead animal would disappear). Celts, Iberians, and Mauryan civs get some kind of fighting or movement bonus in trees (or both or either: Celts and Iberians fighting bonus, Mauryans movement bonus). Can maybe do this with an aura if you make "groves" of trees be 1 object (so you don't have thousands of auras at once, just some dozens). I do some of this in my mod.

Making trees fully passable would decrease the amount of natural defence you get. Also, this could be exploited. If I wanted to, I could plot buildings all over my enemy's forest line and get rid of his access to wood.

I think the best thing to do is to make trees harder to pass (Increase the radius size), so that they can form natural blockades, which would allow you to wall without worrying about the enemy getting through trees.

For example, in Age of Empires II, it is virtually impossible to pass a group of trees. This allows me to build walls where necessary.

Or alternatively have the ability to place foundations upon trees, and have the game force units tasked to build to first clear all the trees blocking a foundation (and only those trees) before being permitted to build the structure for that foundation.

Thus, you could build walls through forests without having to deforest the whole area.

...recommend is that trees are knocked down when you start gathering from them...

I agree. Then there's also the fact that once a unit has finished with a tree/mine/bush, the depleted resource just disappears.

Anyway, with trees it's either something for the art team (to create new art of fallen trees) or for the graphics programmers (use the same asset, but rotate it round a point near its base so it actually does seem to fall over) or both. With mines, maybe they could be very slowly lowered into the ground as they are exhausted much like structures being built rise out of it. But you're right, these are fairly low on the priorities list.

I wonder if we can do it in the current state. Animating a fall is not complex however i don ´t know if we can use death anims on trees. Also not sure it would look good with leaves especially on special angles... Solution could be to remove that prop when falling but not sure this feature is in.

Making trees fully passable would decrease the amount of natural defence you get. Also, this could be exploited. If I wanted to, I could plot buildings all over my enemy's forest line and get rid of his access to wood.

The trees would not disappear until the foundation is started being built. So, placing a bunch of foundations in the enemy's tree groves would not work to remove his trees. Besides, remember that you can only place foundations within your own territory (with a few special exceptions).

I think the best thing to do is to make trees harder to pass (Increase the radius size), so that they can form natural blockades, which would allow you to wall without worrying about the enemy getting through trees.

Or just do what I suggest. lol

For example, in Age of Empires II, it is virtually impossible to pass a group of trees. This allows me to build walls where necessary.

Yes, but we want units to be able to walk through forests. Also, this removes possibility of doing cool things with barbarians in forests.

Yes, but we want units to be able to walk through forests. Also, this removes possibility of doing cool things with barbarians in forests.

i think at least some civs should still be able to do that--the Iberians, for instance, have their whole guerrilla warfare thing going on, so they would qualify for "can navigate forests"--but it cuts down on the strategic value of forests for other purposes: against civs which can't navigate them, they make natural walls and reduce your own costs of construction, and if you are up against a civ that can cross forests, you can use those forests as a choke point, building towers and whatnot at one end forcing the Iberians or whoever into a meat grinder

I don't know if its been discussed before, but why does 0 AD use a multiplication based damage system and not an addition one? It doesn't seem to make sense if something that would normally go through armor still do damage. It would be like if your umbrella has a 25 armor (93%) and lets 7% of every rain drop to go through.

I don't know if its been discussed before, but why does 0 AD use a multiplication based damage system and not an addition one? It doesn't seem to make sense if something that would normally go through armor still do damage. It would be like if your umbrella has a 25 armor (93%) and lets 7% of every rain drop to go through.

haha you are right, but I think they use percentage for balancing styff.

i think at least some civs should still be able to do that--the Iberians, for instance, have their whole guerrilla warfare thing going on, so they would qualify for "can navigate forests"--but it cuts down on the strategic value of forests for other purposes: against civs which can't navigate them, they make natural walls and reduce your own costs of construction, and if you are up against a civ that can cross forests, you can use those forests as a choke point, building towers and whatnot at one end forcing the Iberians or whoever into a meat grinder

I think is a better way create penalties of speed in differentes types of land. In forests the Iberians, for exemple, have a normal speed, but others civs like Romans recieve a penalty in your move speed. Other way of penalty is naturaly give by own game, because Romans can't use Testudo betwen the wood in a forest.

I'm looking at the tree angle right now, I'm gonna see what increasing their obstruction radius does for pathfinding, in theory ppl shoud move around the trees instead of trying to pass through a dense forest. My worker elephants get stuck all the darn time and the only way around it is to decrease their obstruction to 1.

Update: It's hard to be absolutely certain, I can't recall how to view the pathfinding lines, but it does appear to be helping, my units are going around dense forests instead of trying to push through them. I imagine that will be helpful for performance as the most noticeable lag occurs when units get stuck.

Edit2: it's certainly helping, but I've just now decided that the supposedly helpful elephants aren't as helpful as they seemed, constantly constantly getting packs of gatherers stuck around them. Makes me wonder if I don't need to add wander to the support units so when they'e idle they'll wander away from the drop-site instead of just standing there obstructing everything.Tho it won't help much when a pack of gatherers decides to walk back to the drop-site after the mine goes dry.

Edit 3: So I can't make gatherers wander anymore, could have sworn the women wandered by default when idle at one time, however, it seems that upping the gathering range affects their drop off range as well, so setting it to a higher value should mean that they won't be blocked by idle units anymore, tho i suppose they still could get blocked by the idle units that are now 7 units away from the drop site, but i think they'll just push the others out of their way maybe.

Edited by chaosislife13

that is some players suggested in the past, can be nice unique feature, this way the environment can help to players.

temple already heals units around it. :) Tho I think it would be cool in desert maps to have "healing springs" like what he says. just a couple per map. they would be gaia.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

temple already heals units around it. :) Tho I think it would be cool in desert maps to have "healing springs" like what he says. just a couple per map. they would be gaia.

In like The enviroment in maps like wells / fountains heals and other like animals and bandits or the treasures( already implemented)

In AOE you help Gaia units and give you awards/ prizes or becomes into playable units.

Some features in 0A.D can start as mods,nth is can be nice for implement, the main time sometimes don't have time for details like this, but I'm sure they later can add something like that.

• Stan` featured this topic